Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Outlook to Thunderbird

• 30-03-2010 9:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭

I used Outlook on a PC I had in college in order to access all my email, However I am now due to no longer have access to this computer so I've decided to set myself up with a mail client at home.

The most obvious choice would seem to be Thunderbird. However there is one issue, I want to be able to import all my old mail from Outlook.

In Thunderbird the import option only allows for importing from another mail client on the same computer, even though I have the *.pst files.

So looking for some advice as to what to do, some options I've considered are:
    1. Use another mail client which will allow me to import my pst files; not really aware of others but open to suggestions
    2. Get a hacked copy of Outlook and use; prefer not to do this as don't like to be illegal if I can avoid
    3. Above option but only install to allow me to import to Thunderbird; would still prefer to refrain from this option
    4. Install outlook express, get it to read pst then import that to Thunderbird; not sure if this will work or not
    5. Find some way of importing the pst files; here is where I'm looking for your suggestions, I tried google but so far with no luck

So any advice welcome, just to say I'm running win 7 and thunderbird 3.0.

Finally if I am to use thunderbird would love if I could get it to display the email list the way outlook did i.e. Subject and Sender on two separate lines instead of one, although this is not a dealbreaker.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,253 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Well I can't say for sure if this will work, as I'm more used to OutlookExpress. If you select all the mails in an OE folder, and drag them to an Explorer window(suggest you create one for the purpose). This will create a load of *.eml files, 1 per message.Maybe you can zip these up and move them to your own machine and import them to TB. I don't have TB installed on this machine to check that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭IamMetaldave

Windows Mail, which ships with Windows 7 is a great little email client. Shouldn't have any problems with pst files either.

Advertisement