Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to get back on the wagon after failing

Options
  • 30-03-2010 10:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭

Hi guys,

I quit smoking 30 days ago. I used patches for about 5 days just to get me over the hump and haven't smoked since..........except for this past weekend. I've been going through a really tough time in my personal life for the last 18 months but things have settled a little in the last couple of weeks and for some reason with the stress reduced i want to smoke even more :eek:

From last thursday i was craving all day every day (prior to that i had feck all cravings). So i had a couple of drags of my OH's smoke on thurs, then another couple of friday. Then on saturday when out with friends i ended up having maybe 3 or 4 cigs. I didn't smoke on sunday or yesterday, but tonight i had a huge blow up with my OH and bought a pack a few hours ago. I have only had 1 but I really feel like i'm losing it! I don't want all the hard work of the last 28 days to be for nothing.

The reasons I want to quit that i've been smoking for 15 years, 20 a day for the last 10. I'm in my late twenties and we want try for a baby soon so i want to be off the smokes before trying to conceive and i'm also really really concerned about the long term health implications. Everytime i get a twinge in my mouth etc i think its mouth cancer!

I also don't like myself very much when i'm not smoking though. I am angry a lot of the time and can be very quick to jump down people's throat. Even after a month i'm like this! I read alan carr but tbh I didn't find it very benifical at all. It didn't tell me anything new.

I suppose i'm scared that I will be one of those people who cannot be happy and fulfilled without smoking. My OH won't put up with my moods when not smoking for much longer!

I'm not sure what i'm looking for writing here, but any advice/words of encourgement would be much appreciated!

Thanks!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,269 ✭✭✭DubTony

If you haven't already, read Macs Quitlog thread. I came across it just last night and I found it very inspiring. There's great support on there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

That Mac guy is a bit of a dick - I wouldn't trust him ;)

Believe me Evil - what you're talking about we all went through. It does get easier. The irritation and stress does go away. It's actually your addiction causing it. Don't let that monkey win. It gets easier. I was a 40/day smoker - that's not an exaggeration. I now don't smoke. 3 months later I get cravings but the first month was the worst. Now it's an occasional craving that I can face up to.

You can be happy and fulfilled without smoking. Smoking does not fulfil any need apart from smoking. Take up something else instead. I've gone mad and am running and cycling but you don't need to go down that route. Maybe go for a walk instead of having a cig. Maybe take up tennis. Buy a Wii and Wii Fit. Whatever helps. You're a smoker and you know you don't want to smoke. That's a start. Anything that helps you not smoke is a good thing.

As for your OH - Unless she wants you to smoke again she needs to be able to put up with the moods. You're breaking an addiction. If she's never smoked she will never understand what it is you're breaking. But she will still need to accept that it's not an easy thing and has to support you. I've had that support from day 1 - both at home and on my quitlog - and both have been important - for different reasons - but important nonetheless. If she doesn't support you then you need to find the inner support that you will need anyway.

Best of luck with becoming a non-smoker. It's tough but rewarding. Keep us posted here - success or not. If you don't succeed this time you might go again and awaken the thread. The support will be here regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

Evil-p wrote: »
    Hi guys,

I quit smoking 30 days ago. I used patches for about 5 days just to get me over the hump and haven't smoked since..........except for this past weekend. I've been going through a really tough time in my personal life for the last 18 months but things have settled a little in the last couple of weeks and for some reason with the stress reduced i want to smoke even more :eek:

From last thursday i was craving all day every day (prior to that i had feck all cravings). So i had a couple of drags of my OH's smoke on thurs, then another couple of friday......tonight i had a huge blow up with my OH and bought a pack a few hours ago. I have only had 1 but I really feel like i'm losing it!

... i want to be off the smokes before trying to conceive and i'm also really really concerned about the long term health implications. Everytime i get a twinge in my mouth etc i think its mouth cancer!

I also don't like myself very much when i'm not smoking though. I am angry a lot of the time and can be very quick to jump down people's throat. ....

I suppose i'm scared that I will be one of those people who cannot be happy and fulfilled without smoking. My OH won't put up with my moods when not smoking for much longer!

You're not dealing with the psychological side. You're feeling deprived - as though you are 'giving up' a pleasure; not stopping a horrible addiction and finding freedom. Whyquit.com is good on this, if you can stay away from the sad stories and revolting pictures. Look at what you gain, not what you lose. And pay attention to the cravings! That's your addicted brain talking to you - deal with it! Don't just ignore it, cos that way it'll keep coming back as strong each time.

HTH

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

WTF? A link with 2 Amazon referrals, a link to direct purchase cds and a £40/hour phone service! I'm not actually suggesting that you're involved in that website (I searched) but it's a ludicrous link to post considering the amound of free information and support available. I'm reporting the post on that basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

I'm just recommending the book! Less than a tenner (I think). Couldn't find a simple book link. Apologies.

and dear god, no I have no commercial affiliations.. good public servant, me

• Advertisement
Advertisement