Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do you love about this generation?

Options
  • 30-03-2010 10:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭

Cos i hate retrogamer and his emo screensaver games (seriously just play the ****ng game as normal and not sit and wait 30 minutes for the screensaver to come on) :pac:

Anyway even tho regen health and checkpoints every 2nd step are common place to cater for consoles and ease of access style games.

There has been some good mostly technical tho. So in no particular order i will list some games and points that only this gen could pull off.

Arma 2 the be all and end all of tactical simulation wargames, from small coop games with "whatever guns and loadout you want" to absolute chaos with every possible current military vehicle available A10s and tanks hur hur hur hur . It has its flaws mostly windows related but you can play any sort of shooting game on it, if you consider it a platform like Unreal for people to MOD whatever the hell they want into it.

Battlefield 2.5 or Bad Company 2 whatever its called. Super shooting action but with the added gameplay object of "see that house your hiding in BOOM" its not there anymore. Destructible enviroments something the Ps2 started but only now are mainstream online games seeing its possibilities.

Pro evo/Fifa nearly the ability to nutmeg someone and not niggle the pad in a direction that makes a nutmeg happen, its nearly possible to nutmeg an online player at will. International soccer on the C64 had no such option :p

COD4 for making more people play vidoegames online, its only a matter of time till they get pissed off with it and look for some substance in a game.

Flatout for making driving games fun with actual car damage, its not a great game but finishing on 3 wheels and winning simply as your the only car left moving forward has to be a good thing even Gran Turismmo 11 has damage in it.

Metro33/Stalker, Russians have always made decent looking games but now they are actually good. fairly sure they are cheaper than any other studio at making games too.

Saints Row 2 for making GTA fun again. GTA4 was excellent but it lacked the stupid fun of the previous ones, fairly sure between Rockstar and VolitionQ there will be fun in the next batch of free roaming games.

Batman Arkham Asylum simple for making a good batman game and using the unreal engine for something not brown.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭Vyse

Technical advancement:D Without it we would still be playing Pong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭HxGH

Gaming physics....

More beautiful than the graphics!

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Peter Molyneaux and David Gage. What they create may not be to everyone's tastes, but at least they're injecting a bit of life into an industry that is dying a death thanks to half-assed attempts at game design that makes most new games just look like mods of older games.

And a thriving Indie game community that far surpasses the mainstream rubbish.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

playing online

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

The fact that consoles are now media centres.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Jazzy wrote: »
    playing online

Indeed - Broadband connections !!!

Oh..and being part of a clan !!

- Ventrillo (teamspeak is crap...anyone who says its better than vent fails)
    - Clan matches
    - Multimedia - i.e. Xbox Live w/sky player, media center, dvds, music, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

portal for valve proving they can make a good new game. Seriously genious and brilliant game.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

Fallout 3

Infamous

LittleBigPlanet

Mass Effect 2

Final Fantasy XIII

Not a lot else. Any positives I could mention only exist because of stronger negatives. Eg. I agree in theory about Saints row 2, but I'd have preferred a more fun GTAIV. I agree that it's good that a few people like David Cage are doing inventive things, but there's less innovation than ever and that's the only reason that kind of thing stands out.

Sorry for ruining the positive vibe.

I do like that my PS3 plays blu-rays.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

-wireless controllers!
    -HDD as standard (sort of), no more memory cards.
    -Games are cheaper then ever before, I picked up Mass Effect 2 on release day for 45 euro, I remember getting games like Sonic and Mortal Kombat back in the day for 50-60 pounds
    -Steam, its a rip off to buy games directly off it at times. But when you do get a bargain its great, plus the auto patching and a nice way to keep all your games in one place is great.
    -Getting rid of regional releases. Australia still gets fcuked over but the rest of us more or less get games and now consoles worldwide, I think the Saturn was released in Japan almost year before Europe.
    -Consoles now doing a lot more then just play games. They are complete media centres, playing games, music and videos. 360 been able to play movies off a HDD or stream from my desktop is the best thing ever. PS3 is a brilliant blu ray player as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

humanji wrote: »
    Peter Molyneaux and David Gage. What they create may not be to everyone's tastes, but at least they're injecting a bit of life into an industry that is dying a death thanks to half-assed attempts at game design that makes most new games just look like mods of older games.

And a thriving Indie game community that far surpasses the mainstream rubbish.

I know everyones entitled to an opinion....but ...what you love about this generation ??

Peter Molyneux ??! Seriously ??? He just promises and promises and delivers about 5% , he's a clown !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

SeantheMan wrote: »
    I know everyones entitled to an opinion....but ...what you love about this generation ??

Peter Molyneux ??! Seriously ??? He just promises and promises and delivers about 5% , he's a clown !!
    But he tries to do something new, which gives rise to others trying something new. Otherwise we'd be stuck with generic Call of Duty, GTA and Gears Of War clones. As I said it may not be to everyones taste but they're making an effort, something that's been lost since publishers took control of the industry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

Ri_Nollaig wrote: »
    -wireless controllers!
    -HDD as standard (sort of), no more memory cards.
    -Games are cheaper then ever before, I picked up Mass Effect 2 on release day for 45 euro, I remember getting games like Sonic and Mortal Kombat back in the day for 50-60 pounds

+1 for all of these.
    I can't believe the prices of games nowadays. I paid £50 for the likes of Tomb Raider & Resident Evil way back when (which required at fair bit of saving). Games at €45 on launch day is great and getting games on sale is also brillient. I suppose now that more and more places are trying to flog games it makes it better for our pockets.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

A closer, more diverse sense of community between gamers.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Its all about the community.

Sorry what? I can't hear you over the 12 year olds scremaing stfu n00b and hurling abuse at french people.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Sorry what? I can't hear you over the 12 year olds scremaing stfu n00b and hurling abuse at french people.

you know well that its not always like that. so dont bother shouting 'CONTRADICTIONZZZZ' at me, thanks.

Sorry, I didn't realise this was supposed to be such a serious thread. I'll try and um... heavy up?

Sometimes I forget that the internets are serious business.

Advertisement