Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Can you get a Round the World ticket for longer than 1 year?

• 30-03-2010 11:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'm looking into going travelling around the world from September 2010 onwards. Probably travel through Asia for a couple of months or so before settling in Melbourne around mid-November.

The problem is I want to go to the Rugby World Cup in New Zealand in September/ October 2011, and then after that travel home via South America, so ideally I wouldnt want to come home until just before Christmas 2011. So that would be a 15 month trip.

Is there anywhere I can get a Round the World ticket for longer than 1 year?

If not, is it advisable to travel around the world buying seperate one way tickets throughout?

Also what company provides the best Round the World ticket (i.e cheapest prices, best flexibility, greater choice of destinations etc)?

Thanks a mill

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,523 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I imagine it would be possible, but difficult to get such a ticket as airlines like to schedule only the next 11 months to aboid people booking in the wrong year.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Sin1981

Hiya,
    I'm interested in this too. but I have a feeling you there wont' be one available.
    Is there any chance you can postpone your departing date to Dec '10, or Jan '11 so you'll be in NZ for the rugby and still have a couple of months left to cover SA?? I'm doing that, as I kinda fancy being in New Zealand in Oct/Nov 2011 also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 PlayMusiC.SCT

Hi , maybe check out www.staralliance.com

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭doriansmith

You can't buy a RTW ticket for more than 12 months. I asked myself in Trailfinders as I wanted to do the same - wanted to go for about 18 months to South America, NZ & Asia.

In the end we booked a one way ticket to NZ via a four month stop over in South America. Then at some stage when we're in NZ we'll probably book a one way ticket home via Asia. That's the best way to do it if you wanna go for more than a year & is what Trailfinders recommended

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,527 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

I tried the same. You can't do it. I would suggest you switch your route and go to South Amercia first as it's expensive to go Ireland - South America- NZ so you'd save some money getting half an RTW ticket. That's what I got.
    Then you can book through Asia later, it's cheaper.

• Advertisement
Advertisement