Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House insurance

Options
  • 30-03-2010 11:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭

Hi,

Does anyone know of any company offering good deals in house insurance, we have seen a huge jump in our quote from last year. It may be because of the floods last year in Cork but we are in no danger of flooding where we are.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Formal shorts

Ulster Bank are offering 10 months for the price of 12.

AXA are also quite cheap for certain people.

Make sure you're not over insured also - a lot of people's quotes are based on index linked prices. Your buildings amount should only be around 70% of current market value.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dlambirl

Agree with Formal shorts... make sure your not over insured. Check the SCS website for reinstatement figures per square foot and calculate what your building should be insured for then.

(Actually, with the ridiculous rebuilding costs listed €140 per sq.ft, your reinstatement value may be MORE than the actual market value of the house :rolleyes:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭eddiem74

I've seen http://www.getcover.ie/ get a few recommendations lately over in the bargains alert forum, although as the previous posters have said, make sure you are not over insured and shop around online, and via phone. An hour spent doing this could be worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

I got a fab quote with 123.ie. It was a third less than others and I got better cover for contents etc. Just make sure all you want is in the quote. I got a good deal on car insurance with them too and their service was very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭TheBigLebowski

Ulster Bank are offering 10 months for the price of 12.

AXA are also quite cheap for certain people.

Make sure you're not over insured also - a lot of people's quotes are based on index linked prices. Your buildings amount should only be around 70% of current market value.

Great. :mad: What's next 1 years insurance for the price of 2?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,978 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

lazygal wrote: »
    I got a fab quote with 123.ie. It was a third less than others and I got better cover for contents etc. Just make sure all you want is in the quote. I got a good deal on car insurance with them too and their service was very good.

Yes agreed, i used 123 last year. I foolishly never questioned home insurance for years which was with my mortgage provider, on receiving last years quote i looked around and saved almost 70%, yes 70% on the premium. Just goes to show, it does pay to shop around.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 newtogame

we have been with ulster bank for several years and as well as being reasonable they were good to pay on 2 claims.We were claim free for about 15 years when we moved to them so they were unfortunate!

Advertisement