Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

credit union loan for unemployed

Options
  • 31-03-2010 12:02am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭

so im planning on opening a credit union tomorrow and put money in it each week...i am unemployed and on the job seekers allowence, im 19 years old...will not having a job affect wether they let me get a loan or not?i can easily save x ammount each week in the credit union and could pay back x ammount aswell no bother...the loan would be 500 maximum

if they do let me have the loan...how long saving would i need to do before they let me?...i wouldnt need the loan until the start of july so i can do alot of saving to prove im reliable etc

any help would be great as i dont want to be going through the hastle of opening an account and savign every week just to get a big fat NO in the end:(

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

That's 3 months away, if you're looking for 500 max then why not just save it?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

my memory of the credit union first loan is it cannot exceed your savings by 1.5 so for 600 you will need 400 saved and there is a min of 6 months saving required.

Your first loan may also need a guarantor.... Usually another member.

Your local will give you all the rules.

However... If you die while paying back the loan your death dies and your savings double.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭marko91

That's 3 months away, if you're looking for 500 max then why not just save it?

cos im saving for a holiday plus trying to pay my friend back for paying for 2 holidays...i could go without the loan but that would mean caving like 100 euro a week witch is really hard:eek:so this loan would take alot off my shoulders like

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

marko91 wrote: »
    cos im saving for a holiday plus trying to pay my friend back for paying for 2 holidays...i could go without the loan but that would mean caving like 100 euro a week witch is really hard:eek:so this loan would take alot off my shoulders like
    You're 19, taking out loans to cover loans will only lead to bad things. If you can't afford a holiday, then don't go on holiday. If you can save without getting a loan, even if it is really hard, then you should do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

You're 19, taking out loans to cover loans will only lead to bad things. If you can't afford a holiday, then don't go on holiday. If you can save without getting a loan, even if it is really hard, then you should do that.

To true.. But if your ever thinking of a loan there is no better place to start than the credit union. My first loan and my last loan came from them. All the right reasons point towards them

• Advertisement
Advertisement