Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Private Rented Accommodation

Options
  • 31-03-2010 12:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

I'm planning a meeting with the Accommodation Office soon to review the criteria for being on the Accommodation List.

What are your main issues with houses and how can they be sorted.

I'm talking quality, not deposits or disputes.

I won't be responding, but I will be keeping an eye, as I don't want to get drawn in to specific situations online, but email me to make an appointment if there's anything specific you're having a big problem with.

Derek

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭entropic

One thing that alot of off campus accomidation lacks is heat. Many houses were built many years ago with little or no insulation. It would be worth while finding out if you could give the energy rating for the house in the booklet. They are required by law to get one so pushing them towards it couldnt hurt. I have lived and been to many houses that are ridiculously damp even when there is central heating. Double glazing windows are rarer than a dishwasher.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭daithi_lacha

Agreed. All rented houses are required by law to produce a BER cert. if required by the tenant. I've spent the last few weeks calling around about houses for next year and have been laughed at when I ask to see the BER cert. It seems that the majorirty of landlords are simply taking advantage of that fact that most students won't actually demand it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Mossin

What is the standard rent for houses?

For a single room? - Downstairs vs Upstairs
    For a double room? - " vs "
    For an ensuite room?

What does the rent cover?
    Is it just the room or are bills included?
    Do landlords pay refuse?
    Do they provide internet? [pretty much a requirement for all college students]

I'd like to know do landlords provide heating for houses, and charge it to students monthly? - [a good way to heat my house actually :rolleyes:]

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Just in response to the above. I would advise any student who has viewed a house for rent to contact the Buildings RegulationsEnforcement Department at Limerick County Council if a BER Cert is not available.

I have given landlords plenty of time to get their houses in order (forgive the pun) and even provided a list of assessors willing to do it for less than €150.

If they can't be bothered, they are taking the piss and deserve the possibility of a €5,000 fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭skullzxr

ninty9er wrote: »
    Just in response to the above. I would advise any student who has viewed a house for rent to contact the Buildings RegulationsEnforcement Department at Limerick County Council if a BER Cert is not available.

I have given landlords plenty of time to get their houses in order (forgive the pun) and even provided a list of assessors willing to do it for less than €150.

If they can't be bothered, they are taking the piss and deserve the possibility of a €5,000 fine.

BER is last think people will look for in this climate, reasonable rent and a decent house with a landlord that minds his osn business will always come first, most of the services like bb, heating, bins and elect are paid by tenant on top of the rent

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

Said it to the guy we're getting our house off and he seems to think it'll cost 4 grand for some reason...house was only built is the last 7 or 8 years though.

Another one is TV licence, landlords are meant to pay but a lot of tennants(sp?) don't know this. ANother one is the cutting of the grass if the house has a garden

Tenants are responsible for the TV Licence unless specified in the lease.

Grass cutting...some landlords do it, but they are not obliged to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭JimmyMoose

There is a lot to be said for staying on campus! We are in the process of trying to book off campus and it's such effort, the hassle we have had. 5 of us wanted to live in college court, so off we went house hunting and ringing landlords. Eventually found the perfect house for us, delighted. Met with the landlord and said yes we'll take it and we'll have money for a deposit next week. After the oral agreement we met up with her again to get leases. Only problem was that if you were doing co-op you still had to sign a 36 week lease and if you dont replace yourself during co-op you had to pay the 36 weeks rent. Bit dodge I thought! We found out she had given leases to others too. Rush to get the 420 deposit off our parents. Rang her to tell her we all had our deposits ready and leases signed, set up a meeting for last night. Waited for 40 mins, stood up, wouldn't answer her phone. 10 last night we try again and she answers and all she says is the house is gone to someone else and hangs up! I was livid, after getting deposits and all, surely it is not on and now we're stuck because all our other nice choices are taken! Rant over.

Again I must stress

THERE IS NO SHORTAGE OF ACCOMMODATION, WAIT FOR THE ACCOMMODATION LIST. IT WILL BE AVAILABLE IN MID-MAY

Advertisement