Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting sponsored by bf's employer, what do i need???

Options
  • 31-03-2010 12:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭

Hi all, need some advice about visas (myself and my bf, i'm going de facto) - plans have changed as originally i was going to go back to college and get a student visa and lodge our applications for independent skilled migration visas, now the bf's employer has said he'll sponsor him with me as the de facto. He told him to organise what he needs from home....

Can anyone advise on what we need????????
    Our visas both expire in mid june, how long does it take to get together, do we need professional migration assistance? Haven't a clue so would appreciate advice!!

Thanks, amy

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Is your BF getting Sponsored for a 457 (4 Year) or 856 (PR)?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

amybabes wrote: »
    Hi all, need some advice about visas (myself and my bf, i'm going de facto) - plans have changed as originally i was going to go back to college and get a student visa and lodge our applications for independent skilled migration visas, now the bf's employer has said he'll sponsor him with me as the de facto. He told him to organise what he needs from home....

Can anyone advise on what we need????????
    Our visas both expire in mid june, how long does it take to get together, do we need professional migration assistance? Haven't a clue so would appreciate advice!!

Thanks, amy

for a 457 look here
    You pretty much need to prove you are in a de-facto relationship, pass a health exam, have health insurance
    http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/skilled-workers/sbs/eligibility-family.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭seanie_k

I recently got the de facto visa with my girlfriend, who is an australian citizen. We applied at the end of november and got it at the start of february. You basically need proof that you are in a relationship and living together for 12 months. Get as much proof as you can. You should also open a joint bank account and things like that if you dont already have em. We had a big folder full of stuff. Bills, rental lease, photos of us - in ireland, oz, with family all that kinda stuff. Also things like Xmas cards, letters and the like, that have both your names on it. If you have any flight bookings, hotels bookings with both your names on them. Basically get as much as you can so they dont have to get back to you looking for more. You also need police checks from australia and ireland. the australian one is easy to get but the irish took awhile so i would get onto that straight away. we didnt bother using a migration agency. we did go and talk to one but they charge nearly 3 grand! there is a few forms to fill out but its not that bad. Best of luck, if you need anything else just send us a pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

seanie_k wrote: »
    I recently got the de facto visa with my girlfriend, who is an australian citizen. We applied at the end of november and got it at the start of february. You basically need proof that you are in a relationship and living together for 12 months. Get as much proof as you can. You should also open a joint bank account and things like that if you dont already have em. We had a big folder full of stuff. Bills, rental lease, photos of us - in ireland, oz, with family all that kinda stuff. Also things like Xmas cards, letters and the like, that have both your names on it. If you have any flight bookings, hotels bookings with both your names on them. Basically get as much as you can so they dont have to get back to you looking for more. You also need police checks from australia and ireland. the australian one is easy to get but the irish took awhile so i would get onto that straight away. we didnt bother using a migration agency. we did go and talk to one but they charge nearly 3 grand! there is a few forms to fill out but its not that bad. Best of luck, if you need anything else just send us a pm.

I agree you need all the above except if its a 457 you wont need the police checks, you really only require that for Permanent Residency.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 travelsarah

Hey guys,

Wasn't too worried about going DeFacto before I came across this thread!!! M boyfriend will get sponsored soon and I thought it would be pretty easy to go DeFacto, but with all the proof needed you've been mentioning... my name is not on our lease here, we've only lived together in England for 9 months last year.. Does anyone know if the odds are I'd get rejected ?????! Thanks !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

seanie_k wrote: »
    I'm considering this. Does it make you a citizen?

ballooba wrote: »
    I'm considering this. Does it make you a citizen?

No temporary permanent resident, then PR then citizen .. you need ot live in Oz I think 4 years before a citizen

Hey guys,

Wasn't too worried about going DeFacto before I came across this thread!!! M boyfriend will get sponsored soon and I thought it would be pretty easy to go DeFacto, but with all the proof needed you've been mentioning... my name is not on our lease here, we've only lived together in England for 9 months last year.. Does anyone know if the odds are I'd get rejected ?????! Thanks !

You should be fine, all relationships are different, you don't actually need to live together, once you can prove you are in a relationship. if you have a bill going to the same address that is prove, pictures etc etc

you should be fine

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭amybabes

just been on the phone to someone in immi myself, they are not very helpful. it is the 457 visa -

does anyone know what exactly is needed by us (the applicants) for the visa application (i am clear on the defacto part) - do we need birth certs, recognisation of training/degrees in oz etc??

starting to worry now!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

just been on the phone to someone in immi myself, they are not very helpful. it is the 457 visa -

does anyone know what exactly is needed by us (the applicants) for the visa application (i am clear on the defacto part) - do we need birth certs, recognisation of training/degrees in oz etc??

starting to worry now!!
    Requirements should be in here:
    http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/pdf/1066.pdf
    If he's the main applicant then you shouldn't need degrees etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Doc

starting to worry now!!

It really will depend on what job he is being sponsored for as to what he needs in terms of reorganisation. All you need to prove is that you have been in a relationship with him. Its all pretty straight forward just download the application form and fill it out.

P.S. Do you know if the company has sponsored people before because if they have not then they have to apply to become a registered sponsor?

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭amybabes

Doc wrote: »
    It really will depend on what job he is being sponsored for as to what he needs in terms of reorganisation. All you need to prove is that you have been in a relationship with him. Its all pretty straight forward just download the application form and fill it out.

P.S. Do you know if the company has sponsored people before because if they have not then they have to apply to become a registered sponsor?

yeah he works for a big company - he is a carpenter, so he has his fas card thing - which is his apprenticeship / craftsman qualification. i have a marketing degree from U.L.
    Is that all that we need? Everyone we speak to tells us different things, that immi website is a mine of info - i find it hard to locate the same sub heading twice sometimes.. really just need it in black and white!!

Thanks everyone for all the advice

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Doc

yeah he works for a big company - he is a carpenter, so he has his fas card thing - which is his apprenticeship / craftsman qualification. i have a marketing degree from U.L.
    Is that all that we need? Everyone we speak to tells us different things, that immi website is a mine of info - i find it hard to locate the same sub heading twice sometimes.. really just need it in black and white!!

Thanks everyone for all the advice

I believe that he will have to have his qualification recognised by the relevant state authority over here.

Check out this page on the imagination Website http://www.immi.gov.au/asri/os-qual-units.htm#vic

It shouldn't be any big deal.

Unless you yourself are getting sponsored then your qualifications dont really come into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭universe777

OP, sign up to this website -
    http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=32

Post your questions there and you will be certain to get precise details of what you need from people that did it.

Going defacto generally means you should have been living with your bf for at least 12 months with stuff to support that, lease agreement, bills, details of holidays together etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 ppeachy

Does anyone know how much it costs to go De Facto??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

I cant recall but I think its the same price as skilled except for the skills assessment

Advertisement