Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Honestly ....?? Do you like our dislike your native city

Options
  • 31-03-2010 12:18am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭

for me its a capital No :mad:

Do you like or dislike limerick city 63 votes

0% 0 votes
    Dislike
    100% 63 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

no you dislike or no you like?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

That's better :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

I have fixed your poll and reset it as the question made no sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭Timmywalldo

ya sorry about that .. i kinda messd it up

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭acalmenvoy

Wouldn't live anywhere else....:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭irishleedsfan

not anative. jus living here a while. Jus get rid of some of the scum and limerick would be a GREAT city. Scenery is great in Limerick so are 99.9% of people here too. It has so much going for it but not being grasped. its a shame really:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

It seems to be almost permanently on the verge of being a great city, but for whatever reason (be it the boundary issue or the lack of goodwill or urgency) it seems to fall short, with the powers-that-be refusing to sort out the small percentage of scum or give the retailers a decent shot at creating a vibrant city centre.

Add in a ridiculous traffic system that chokes the city centre and expensive city centre parking (compared to free parking at the retail centres in the suburbs) and a tendency to choke up supposed "ring" routes like Childer's Road and it does make the city frustrating to get into and around.

But it's close, so we shouldn't give up on it......we just need some politicial cop-on.

All that said, I wouldn't live anywhere else........the only other city that would attract me would be Cork, and that doesn't have the small size to make it as appealing.

We do need some more options for social activities, though; it revolves far too much around spending and drinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭Risteard

I like the city, I just hate the ****wits (not all) that live inside it that try and ruin it for everyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭dave 27

i voted yes, we have a hell of a lot more shops etc (shopping centres) than the rest of the country outside dublin and i dont think any other city in europe can have an atmosphere like Limerick on heineken cup night

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

What about people who arent native to Limerick?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

dave 27 wrote: »
    i voted yes, we have a hell of a lot more shops etc (shopping centres) than the rest of the country outside dublin and i dont think any other city in europe can have an atmosphere like Limerick on heineken cup night

More shops and a better range of shops than Cork? Not even close.

Even Galway can beat Limerick on the shopping front. I think they are now looking at setting up a second M&S up there, and have a city council that works with the retailers.

As for saying the sporting atmosphere cannot be beaten by any city in Europe? I was in Istanbul for the CL final in 2005 and was in the crowd on O'Connell Street when Munster won, and Limerick did not come close. Nor did it match Liverpool the next day with almost one million people lining the streets.

Or be in the Mercedes-Benz Arena in Stuttgart when Bayern come to town.

Or in Barcelona on the day of El Clasico.

For me Liam Byrne has hit the nail on the head about Limerick. It has some great points and some terrible points. The two worst points, imho, is the amount of scum floating about unchallenged, and the ineffective local authorities/planners.

The best points are the everyday people, and where Limerick is in terms of location. There are so many places within a drive of an hour or so, and I think that is something that gets overlooked about Limerick.

But it has the potential for a hell of a lot more than what is here now, and like Liam, I would love to see it happen someday.

Based on location, Limerick should be a hub for getting to all the beauty spots in the surrounding counties as to be fair Limerick does not come close to the natural scenary that is present in Kerry, Clare, and Cork. But it should be the place that people use a a base to get to those places, so great accomodation, great shopping, great entertainment, and ease of transport would be the things to hit.

So Limerick, like it or dislike it? A bit of both really, same as most places.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

what I like:
    mostly easy to get around if you avoid traffic hotspots, everything is within 10 mins drive or thereabouts.
    On a nice summers days its cool to sit outside the lock or clohessys with a pint by the river.
    Decent pubs.

What I dont like:
    Scum, everywhere.
    Theres absolutely nothing to do in the city centre past 6pm most nights, its like the place becomes a ghost town, no cinema, no late night coffee places, occasional comedy clubs or whatever but fairly poorly advertised unless you read one of the godawful local papers.
    Its too small, in the sense that you can go out every Saturday night and see the same faces in the same places EVERY week. Always feel like someone knows your business whether you want them to or not. I like the sense of anonymity that comes with places like Dublin or bigger cities.
    Inept council, more interested in giving soundbites and making promises than actually doing anything.
    Its an ugly, ugly city centre for the most part, Patrick St is an absolute discrace, it looks like seomthing from the former communist block with all the empty shop units.
    Its never cleaned properly, Cruises St and William st must have about a million bits of chewing gum stuck to the street surfaces.

so like all places, it has its good and bad points, just lately the bad ones are the ones you take the most notice of.

Kess73 wrote: »
    More shops and a better range of shops than Cork? Not even close.

Even Galway can beat Limerick on the shopping front. I think they are now looking at setting up a second M&S up there, and have a city council that works with the retailers.

As for saying the sporting atmosphere cannot be beaten by any city in Europe? I was in Istanbul for the CL final in 2005 and was in the crowd on O'Connell Street when Munster won, and Limerick did not come close. Nor did it match Liverpool the next day with almost one million people lining the streets.

Or be in the Mercedes-Benz Arena in Stuttgart when Bayern come to town.

Or in Barcelona on the day of El Clasico.

For me Liam Byrne has hit the nail on the head about Limerick. It has some great points and some terrible points. The two worst points, imho, is the amount of scum floating about unchallenged, and the ineffective local authorities/planners.

The best points are the everyday people, and where Limerick is in terms of location. There are so many places within a drive of an hour or so, and I think that is something that gets overlooked about Limerick.

But it has the potential for a hell of a lot more than what is here now, and like Liam, I would love to see it happen someday.

Based on location, Limerick should be a hub for getting to all the beauty spots in the surrounding counties as to be fair Limerick does not come close to the natural scenary that is present in Kerry, Clare, and Cork. But it should be the place that people use a a base to get to those places, so great accomodation, great shopping, great entertainment, and ease of transport would be the things to hit.

So Limerick, like it or dislike it? A bit of both really, same as most places.

sorry for pointing out these because i dont want to make this thread a city v city thread, iv loads of friends from galway and been there countless times and while i do really like it for its charm etc, one thing it does not have is shopping centres and retail outlets etc and to say it has more than limerick is absolutely silly! galway has eyre sq, galway shopping centre and..ya thats about it..maybe shop st..

compared to limericks..
    jetland
    ennis road retail park
    arthurs quay
    crescent
    parkway
    parkway retail park
    childers road retail park
    delta retail park
    city east
    castletroy shopping centre etc

as for the second point, i said on a heineken cup night in Limerick, i didnt mention anything about soccer, when limerick hosts a match for the heineken cup ANY rugby fan will say hands down limerick has the best atmosphere because it is a lot smaller than the other cities that hosts them as football is a more dominant sport and for the majority of the time they are actually told not to wear the rugby jearsys out!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

sorry for pointing out these because i dont want to make this thread a city v city thread, iv loads of friends from galway and been there countless times and while i do really like it for its charm etc, one thing it does not have is shopping centres and retail outlets etc and to say it has more than limerick is absolutely silly! galway has eyre sq, galway shopping centre and..ya thats about it..maybe shop st..

compared to limericks..
    jetland
    ennis road retail park
    arthurs quay
    crescent
    parkway
    parkway retail park
    childers road retail park
    delta retail park
    city east
    castletroy shopping centre etc

as for the second point, i said on a heineken cup night in Limerick, i didnt mention anything about soccer, when limerick hosts a match for the heineken cup ANY rugby fan will say hands down limerick has the best atmosphere because it is a lot smaller than the other cities that hosts them as football is a more dominant sport and for the majority of the time they are actually told not to wear the rugby jearsys out!

Most of the shopping centres you mentioned bar the Crescent are pretty poor in terms of selection and carry nothing different to the retail parks in other towns.

As for my comment about atmosphere, you simply stated that you did not think that any other city in Europe had an atmosphere like Limerick has when there is a heineken cup match on. So I replied with a few where the atmosphere is magnificent around a sporting event. I did not realise that it was only cities where Heineken cup games get played that counted in terms of atmosphere.

In terms of a rugby atmosphere, then there is no doubt that there is a huge buzz in Limerick when Munster make it to a final, but the same atmosphere is not there for just any Heineken cup game.

Most of the shopping centres you mentioned bar the Crescent are pretty poor in terms of selection and carry nothing different to the retail parks in other towns.

As for my comment about atmosphere, you simply stated that you did not think that any other city in Europe had an atmosphere like Limerick has when there is a heineken cup match on. So I replied with a few where the atmosphere is magnificent around a sporting event. I did not realise that it was only cities where Heineken cup games get played that counted in terms of atmosphere.

In terms of a rugby atmosphere, then there is no doubt that there is a huge buzz in Limerick when Munster make it to a final, but the same atmosphere is not there for just any Heineken cup game.

..an atmosphere like limerick on heineken cup night..i thought it was fairly clear that it meant when the city plays host to a heineken cup game! anyways no point arguing over what i said! i think the fact that Limerick hosts matches like these make it quite different from most places around the country which is pritty cool imo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

I do love cycling around Limerick, exploring various nooks and crannies. I love discovering interesting new shops/pubs and places of historical significance. I also enjoy a good Saturday night out on the town whenever I get the chance. There's always plenty of female talent around;) and I almost always bump into someone I know.

I do have some bitterness towards the place though, mainly due to the **** time I had to endure in St Enda's school from various knobs and also the fact that I was treated like crap most places where I worked in Limerick (Dell being an exception, was fairly good craic when I worked there during College summer hols). The increasing amount of scum and the deterioration of certain areas I remember that were decent once upon a time is also quite saddening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭counterlock

Things I like:
    The traffic is mostly alright for a city the size of Limerick
    Most of the people are absolutely ace
    The night life offers more diversity than most places (even Cork)
    Summer on the Shannon
    Drinking in Perys square on a nice summers evening
    You are within walking distance of almost every other part of the city
    The amount of pimped out Corsas/Puntos/fiestas

Things I hate:
    The filth that inhabit every dark alley of the city
    The speed bumps EVERYWHERE

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭munstergirl

I like limerick,

GOOD POINTS
    Limerick People.
    Beautiful river.
    Great pubs.
    Easy to get around (walk)
    BAD POINTS
    City centre (shocking atmosphere gets worse everytime i go in)
    Lack city centre shops
    (cork, galway, ennis) seem buzzing even in a recession.
    Not a lot of things to do especially when its raining.
    Have to mention the scumbags (but every city + town in ireland has them)
    Lack of jobs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Resi12

Things I Hate:

Size of the city itself, yes the advantage of the ability to walk most places is nice but really I think we can just barely call ourselves a city.

The scumbags, I know every place in Ireland has them but here they are just everywhere. Too much for such a small city. Beggars fall into this category as well, the gards do nothing to get them up and moving and it's disgraceful.

The shops, no choice. We have like 5 Tesco's and 4 Dunnes Stores, why can't we have at least one M&S? Also the clothing shops for men is pathetic unless you wear a tracksuit day in, day out. Yes we have the crescent but it would be nice to have a shopping centre in the actual city (don't even attempt to say AQ is one).

Bus Services, they just suck. Can we start Limerick Bus?

Nothing to do once the shops close only to go out.

The people, not all of course but for the most part they are either nosy or extremely narrow minded.

The city itself is full of potential but until our boundaries are expanded I really don't think anything will change. Can I ask is the Opera Centre going to be built now because of NAMA?

• Registered Users Posts: 20 sosulio

After spending the last four years in Galway I can say that this is definately not true, Limerick is streets ahead of Galway for shopping (although I dont necessarily consider miles of retail parks and car parks a positive thing - just a product of the boundary planning wars)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

There's no buzz around the town anymore, and no, don't mention rugby, that's not what I'm talking about. What happens when Munster rugby is mediocre, what will we brag about then? Half the buildings in the city centre are boarded up. it's not good...
    good thing about Limk is what you see is what you get, it doesn't pretend to be anything it's not like Galway trying to be all flakey and "we're so liberal and laid back..."

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

The night life offers more diversity than most places (even Cork)
    That is so untrue its not even funny. Cork has numerous venues that cater for jazz, blues, rock and soul, that just dont exist in Limerick. Venues like Cyprus Avenue, The Old Oak, The Bróg, Crane Lane, The Savoy, Cruiscín Lán and The Pavilion offer much more diversity in music than anything Limerick has to offer. I can see jazz Cork two or three times a week in Crane Lane. In Limerick i can see it once a month in Dolans. For theatre or arts lovers there's The Opera House, The Everyman Palace, The Cork Arts Theatre and The Triskel Arts Centre amongst others. Limerick has UCH and that dive The Belltable. If you're talking about trendy bars Cork also wins - Limerick has nothing that will match The Bodega, The Bierhaus, The Franciscan Well or Long Island Cocktail Bar. And lets not even get started on the nightclubs, of which Cork has more of. So certainly in nightlife, Cork will win everytime. Anyone who has lived in the two cities will testify to this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 563 ✭✭✭BESman

Galway has as you mentioned Eyre Square Shopping Centre and Galway Shopping Centre. It also has:

Galway Retail Park
    Wellpark Shopping Centre
    Terryland Shopping Centre
    Briarhill Shopping Centre
    Westside Shopping Centre
    Corrib Shopping Centre
    Liosbaun Retail Park

And probably a few more I can't think of at the moment. So your statement that Galway has two shopping centres is completely false.

About 10 - 15 years ago I remember people in Galway would travel to Limerick to go shopping for a day but Galway has since overtaken Limerick in terms of the quality and choice available in shopping there. No one really has to go outside Galway now for their shopping.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭MissHoneyBun

Can't stand the fcuking place. It's all very well for people in ivory towers to shyte on about how the place is fine really and how people who are living with serious crime on their doorsteps are really just silly people being negative.

They're obviously the same people who aren't walking over broken glass every day of the week to get to their front door. Or watching a girl get mugged by a hooded scumbag outside their window. Or listening to women screaming and the noise of furniture being fcuked about from the apartment overhead at 4am. Or seeing the paddywagon pull up at midnight to break the neighbour's door down and see a male Guard come out carrying a screaming toddler in is arms. And then see the same neighbour selling drugs in his doorway the next day. Or being violated while ordering food in McDonald's by a rancid junkie grabbing your face with his scabby hands and kissing your cheek while you're too terrified too move.

I could go on but it's too depressing. I'm not a Limerick native, I'm here to qualify as a teacher and no offence to the decent Limerick people but thankfully it won't be long until I'm out of here for good.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

They're obviously the same people who aren't walking over broken glass every day of the week to get to their front door. Or watching a girl get mugged by a hooded scumbag outside their window. Or listening to women screaming and the noise of furniture being fcuked about from the apartment overhead at 4am. Or seeing the paddywagon pull up at midnight to break the neighbour's door down and see a male Guard come out carrying a screaming toddler in is arms. And then see the same neighbour selling drugs in his doorway the next day.

But you will see that crap in the wrong parts of every town and city in the world. Go live in Ballymun, Brixton or the Bronx, Darndale, Dagenham or Detroit. Nothing you've described is in anyway specific to Limerick.

iguana wrote: »
    But you will see that crap in the wrong parts of every town and city in the world. Go live in Ballymun, Brixton or the Bronx, Darndale, Dagenham or Detroit. Nothing you've described is in anyway specific to Limerick.

I think this entire forum is specific to Limerick Iguana. And this is a thread in the Limerick forum which asks if you like or dislike Limerick. Not Darndale or Detroit, Limerick. I answered the question based on my experience and explained the reasons why.

This is a thread in the Limerick forum which asks if you like or dislike Limerick. Not Darndale or Detroit, Limerick. I answered the question based on my experience and explained the reasons why.

But you aren't talking about things that are specific to Limerick so your point doesn't really make sense. If your problems were with the experience of the city centre it would be relevant. But talking about the type of thing that happens in particular areas, when the equivalent happens in similar areas everywhere has nothing to do with the question.

There was a point where I really, really hated living in London. But the actual fact was I hated living in Tottenham as it's a shíthole (imo). When I moved to a nice part of London I discovered I actually really did enjoy living in London after all. London isn't Tottenham, Brixton, Dagenham, etc. Limerick isn't Moyross, etc. You can't judge an entire city based on it's bad areas, not when so many cities have the same areas in all but name.

But you aren't talking about things that are specific to Limerick so your point doesn't really make sense. If your problems were with the experience of the city centre it would be relevant.

I don't think it's up to you Iguana to decide whether people's posts are relevant or not. And I'm not sure why I'm needing to justify my post because I don't think reputations really fall out of the sky, they're usually earned.

Anyway, I have lived in several other counties in this country, including many different areas across Dublin and I have never witnessed all the things that I have in Limerick so permanently and with such regularity. I'm sure other people have but that's for them to give their account of. This is me relating my experience of Limerick, as per the thread title.
    You can't judge an entire area based on it's bad areas, not when so many cities have the same areas in all but name

If you're going to disregard my post on the basis that those things happen in other parts of the world too then I don't think there'd be much left for people to talk about. Of course similar things happen all over the world. I'm sure if you were to talk to enough people, you'd find most things have happened in some other place, at some other time. The world is a big place and Limerick isn't entirely exclusive from the rest of the world. But seeing as this is the Limerick forum where people talk about Limerick and things that happen there, I didn't think there was need to acknowledge what might be happening in the rest of the world.

The title of the thread is about liking or disliking Limerick city and I gave my answer and explained why. I'm not really sure why you're singling out my posts to take issue with. Do you think everybody else's answers here are unique to Limerick city except mine?

I don't think it's up to you Iguana to decide whether people's posts are relevant or not.

But your post is too subjective to one specific region to be an answer to the actual question. That isn't something that "is up to me" it's just the way it is. It's like the story of the 5 blind men and an elephant.* You are describing a tusk but only a tusk, you aren't saying anything specific to the elephant. You could be talking about a narwhal, a walrus or a warthog. Describing whatever area you live in says nothing whatsoever about Limerick as a city. Pretty much all of the criticisms of Limerick in the thread are about problems specific to Limerick but your post had nothing specific to Limerick at all.

I'm sorry you chose to live in a shít area, it's a nightmare, I've been there myself. I'm guessing that as a Mary I student you are living somewhere around the Dock Road? If so, yeah, that's not someplace I'd recommend anyone live. If this isn't your final year perhaps next year you could do a bit of research and pick a better area. There are some lovely places that are still near the college.

*The story of the blind men and an elephant originated from India. In various versions of the tale, a group of blind men (or men in the dark) touch an elephant to learn what it is like. Each one touches a different part, but only one part, such as the side or the tusk. They then compare notes on what they felt, and learn they are in complete disagreement. The story is used to indicate that reality may be viewed differently depending upon one's perspective, suggesting that what seems an absolute truth may be relative due to the deceptive nature of half-truths.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,622 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Pretty much all of the criticisms of Limerick in the thread are about problems specific to Limerick but your post had nothing specific to Limerick at all.
    But that's not what the thread asks. The thread asks if she likes the city or not (actually it says 'your native city', so maybe her answer could be excluded as she's said she's not from Limerick), and she's said she doesn't. Given the incidents she's outlined in her post, that's hardly surprising, and the fact that it also happens in Brixton and wherever else doesn't make it less unpleasant when it happens here.

Posters aren't asked to comment on Limerick-specific things which they like or dislike, and somebody's like or dislike of the city is no less relevant if it is based on things which aren't specific to Limerick.

You're deciding whether somebody's answer is acceptable or not, when you don't have the right to do so, in my opinion.

What's also funny is you mentioning the story of the blind men touching an elephant, and noting the message it contains -
    The story is used to indicate that reality may be viewed differently depending upon one's perspective, suggesting that what seems an absolute truth may be relative due to the deceptive nature of half-truths.
    while also putting forward your views as absolute truth-
    That isn't something that "is up to me" it's just the way it is.

Advertisement