Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mondeo

• 31-03-2010 12:37am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭

Any Ford guys out there? have a problem with an '03 2.0 petrol auto Mondeo. Idle stepper motor increases engine RPM once 15/20 kph is reached, drives itself, will knock off at a stop if held on the brake for a few seconds. What sensors input to this command?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

Plug is a ford guy. drop him a PM if he doesn't notice the thread..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

*EDIT*
    Its an auto, misread.
    It would be an engine speed sensor input. Would not be sure about sensors on the autobox though:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

It's an auto plug

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Fishtits

Hi Plug, any chance you could cast your gaze on Henry's diagrams for this one? (or pass them on and I will quite willingly gaze upon them)

Its been around the block with all the local "experts" with the usual change this change that etc all to no avail. I'd like to actually diagnose the bugger and cure it but have hit a wall in my search for info on how it works, so don't know where to start.

Something is commanding the stepper motor to increase engine speed, only while moving. Its quite happy to sit in N and be revved with no abnormal results.

I have all the usual kit, meters, lab scopes etc. Any pointer would be well received.

Cheers, fishtits

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

Im actually finished work becuase im starting FAS this tuesday so I won't be able to get diagrams:( This I think will have to be done through a decent diagnostics computer. Did them garages run diagnostics with the car.

Could you just change the stepper motor, there cheap enough on ebay. It could be that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Fishtits

Diags done by local dealer and various indos, no codes. Stepper motor swapped, inlet manifold changed, no change. I probed the throttle pot, all normal. Disconnect the stepper and all is perfect.

Something is commanding the idle stepper, but what?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 233 ✭✭AzureAuto

Idle stepper actuation is grounded from engine management ECU, based on input voltages from accelerator pedal position sensor, autobox mounted VSS sensor, coolant temp sensor and probably others.
    If i were you id check the vehicle speed sensor switch.
    Also check with your ford man whether any reflashes of the ECU were offered as its not uncommon for voltage spikes to cause damage here, o for soft coding updates to be issued for common probs.

Advertisement