Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

changing calibre of rifle

Options
  • 31-03-2010 12:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭

i have a weihrauch hw60j in .22 hornet and have been tempted to upgrade it to something more powerful like a .204, .222 or .223 and seen that its next to impossible to sell a rifle at the moment especially a hornet i'm wondering is it possible to get a riflesmith to re barrell it as a different calibre, i know it can be done with the likes of a remmey 700 and other common rifles but would it be possible with the weihrauch as parts would be harder to get, can it be done and at what cost? i know it wouldnt be cheap as the barrell and magazine alone would be probably be a couple of hundred or would i be better off cutting my losses and trading in the rifle for about a 3rd of the price i paid for it to buy a new gun

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elius

ormondprop wrote: »
    i have a weihrauch hw60j in .22 hornet and have been tempted to upgrade it to something more powerful like a .204, .222 or .223 and seen that its next to impossible to sell a rifle at the moment especially a hornet i'm wondering is it possible to get a riflesmith to re barrell it as a different calibre, i know it can be done with the likes of a remmey 700 and other common rifles but would it be possible with the weihrauch as parts would be harder to get, can it be done and at what cost? i know it wouldnt be cheap as the barrell and magazine alone would be probably be a couple of hundred or would i be better off cutting my losses and trading in the rifle for about a 3rd of the price i paid for it to buy a new gun

Same position myself, just going to bite the bullet and trade her up. Ill go to a couple of shops and see who can give me the best price first.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭tomcat220t

Give John Greene in waterford a call ,he will sort it out with good info..on your hornet .(0863554425)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

You would need new barrell and chamber, ports also too small as is,and magazine. find an old farmer who wants a cheap rifle and sell it for shooting vermin.
    Make sure the dude has no access to Intenet or he will want a .223 :D

If not ask dealer to go easy on you ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

If you did that with the rifle you would be in the " 3 generation family spade."The handle was only replaced twice and the head once.:D
    IOW it would cost more than what it is worth,and you will have a very customised Weirauch rifle.To your specs only!Best thing is try and trade it in and trade up.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Johnny_Coyle

ormond, forget the idea completely. I am sure that someone could do it, however, it will be your face the leans on the receiver for the next few thousand rounds.
    There is no way that you should consider doing this. The lad's at the factory are good with maths and they do a good job on the original. When people mess with the original is where you have problems.
    When you drill the receiver - that's bad as you have weakened it.
    Then, you are going to put in a hotter round - doubly bad.
    By the time you have all of the mod's done, you have probably spent the cost of the new rifle.
    Can you not find someone that would do a trade in? Worst comes to worst, donate it to a cousin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭tomcat220t

ormond, forget the idea completely. I am sure that someone could do it, however, it will be your face the leans on the receiver for the next few thousand rounds.
    There is no way that you should consider doing this. The lad's at the factory are good with maths and they do a good job on the original. When people mess with the original is where you have problems.
    When you drill the receiver - that's bad as you have weakened it.
    Then, you are going to put in a hotter round - doubly bad.
    By the time you have all of the mod's done, you have probably spent the cost of the new rifle.
    Can you not find someone that would do a trade in? Worst comes to worst, donate it to a cousin.
    Thats a fare sweeping statment :confused:.If he takes it to a good gunsmith he will be told right up weather the rifle is suitable for a rebarrel or not !The word MESS with the original or WEAKENED the receiver are words from someone who hasent a clue,sorry !

Advertisement