Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PADI Rescue Diver

• 31-03-2010 1:37am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 437 ✭✭

Hello,

I've done both the OWD and AOWD with PADI in Irish waters (Cork!), and i'm soon enrolling for an EFR course. I'm planning on completing the Rescue Diver certificate while on holidays during the summer in the south-west of France. I'm interested in learning about further awareness of my own aswell as others' safety on dives, but can't find much material to read about this course online - I'd like to see what it entails and go over a bit before I get started.

Has anyone done this course, and can anyone help me out with some information about it?

Thanks for your time,

Sean

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

t1mm wrote: »
    Hello,

I've done both the OWD and AOWD with PADI in Irish waters (Cork!), and i'm soon enrolling for an EFR course. I'm planning on completing the Rescue Diver certificate while on holidays during the summer in the south-west of France. I'm interested in learning about further awareness of my own aswell as others' safety on dives, but can't find much material to read about this course online - I'd like to see what it entails and go over a bit before I get started.

Has anyone done this course, and can anyone help me out with some information about it?

Thanks for your time,

Sean

see if your local dive centre will sell you the Crew Pack/course materials for the Rescue Diver course before you head away.
    That way you can do the reading before you go, and you only have to do the knowledge reviews with the instructor in France when you get there.
    Good luck, and enjoy the course; it's great craic!

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Sinistralxo

You could also potentially use the PADI e-learning facility from their site and be prepared from a theory perspective before you leave. May also save you time while on your holidays.

Regards
    G

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 589 ✭✭✭loctite

Hi Sean.....

Courses are structured the same as Advanced and OW....... Theory or Academic side of it. i.e. Read the manual and answer the knowledge reviews at the end of the chapters....... Again its not that difficult.

Theory covers areas such as DCI (Decompression Illness), rescue techniques, accident prevention and what to do in the event of an accident. All examined at the end of course. The theory is not that difficult.

On the practical (or Fun as I like to call it) side of the course, there are two main areas. Skill development and the Scenario.

Skill Development covers areas such as rescuing panicked divers at the surface, i.e. techniques to deal with frantic or divers who have gone into complete panic and may try to climb on top of you etc.... In the skill development side you will also learn techniques to deal with unresponsive divers on the surface and underwater...... Lifting techniques, gear removal whilst towing divers, search patterns, in water resuscitation and a host of other skills.

Once you have covered all of the skills they are applied in a rescue scenario. This is where the Instructor basically sets up a scenario where a diver may have gone missing some where nearby and a rescue/search & recovery is needed. It is completely up to the individuals students on the course to orchestrate the whole scenario. After which you will receive feedback.

It is probably one of the most rewarding courses in PADI to both teach and be apart of. A little more physical than the OW/AOW but not much. Well worth doing....... Hope you enjoy it.....

Any other questions, post away....

Oh and it usually takes about 3-4 full days

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Woofer

I did my PADI rescue course in Malaysia last summer. It's really enjoyable and rewarding -but a word of warning... it can be tough going. I only had a few days at the dive resort, so it took 3 full 12 hour days to do. In retrospect, I am not sure if I would recommend it if you're only taking a weeks holiday. While i was getting up at 8am, draggin people in and out of the water all day, studying through lunch and doing homework at night, my friends were playing frisbee on the beach and partying all night. Kinda felt like I missed out a bit! Just something to keep in mind!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 437 ✭✭t1mm

Thanks for all the replies! Sounds very interesting. The scenario part of it sounds quite challenging too. Cheers!

• Advertisement
Advertisement