Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Golf Stores in Ireland

Options

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 16,582 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

REFLINE1 wrote: »
    American Golf in Dundrum is decent,good big store and ive found the staff very helpfull.

have to disagree with that, it's actually quite small with a really poor selection of clubs. Did find staff helpful though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭waterville72

Simple enquiry here.I'd like to know what is considered to be the largest/most well stocked Golf store in the country.I know there's a few good Halpenny stores around and there's always McGuirks, but I'd imagine there's another few around that aren't so well advertised?Thanks.

The most well stocked must be McGuirks in Blanchardstown. However if its service you are after the general consensus on here is that the service is poor in all of their stores. In my opinion their prices are not what they use to be. American Golf and Halpenny are as good if not better on a lot of stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 atruered

Service is very important. Mcguirks service is non exsistant compared to American Golf. I have visited the Tallaght store a few times recently and the staff there are very helpfull. By the way the prices are on the game aswell!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭BiffoGooner

jimjo wrote: »
    +1

Never been in there when there wasn't 5 lads working standing round doing feck all apart from staring at people as they come in... ask for a different loft of a driver or a price of something and you'd swear you pissed on their chips

Made it to McGuirks in Blanch today and after 5 minutes I was laughing to myself as I noticed the same thing you're describing here.4 blokes standing at the back of the store talking absolute rot while customers looked around, never saw one of them move to ask anyone if they needed any help.It's a good sized store but 90% of it is clothes, shoes etc.If you were looking for a serious set of clubs it wouldn't be the place, in my opinion.Joke of a place.Meant to call into Halpenny at the Foxhunter but it was getting late and I wanted to get home for the Masters :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭mag

mcguirks in blanch are awful. i went in a few yrs ago to buy a set of irons, trading in my old ones. afair the new ones were about 700, they took one look at me (not "golfer attired") & my old ones (mizuno mps) and said 625 + trade. the irons i wanted werent at a sale price & my trade ins were in really good nick, so i thought this was a dodgy offer & i told them so....their answer was, 'if you dont like it theres the door'.
    i was so pissed off with their attitude that i went out to john mcguirk in howth & told him what i felt. he apologised & gave me the same set of irons (nett of my trade in) for 450.
    so, avoid blanch, go to howth if you want to shop with mcguirks in my experience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭GorHugh

Mc Guirks in howth is the original of their shops and the best for service by a country mile

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

I have previously worked in 2 major golfing retailers in Dublin, albeit one was work experience in Transitional Year.

Now I always made myself approachable to customers, and both stores employees in the main were likewise to myself.

McGuirks(narrowing down the shops I've worked in so I'am :pac: ) in Blanch is utterly terrible IMHO. Seriously lack people skills that lot.

To quote a post above,

Never been in there when there wasn't 5 lads working standing round doing feck all apart from staring at people as they come in... ask for a different loft of a driver or a price of something and you'd swear you pissed on their chips.

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭pinkdoubleeagle

Mick Horan in Birr GC has a superb shop and is a lovely bloke

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭jimjo

4 blokes standing at the back of the store talking absolute rot while customers looked around, never saw one of them move to ask anyone if they needed any help.
    I'm actually glad you picked up on this too. The service is truly shocking. It would make you want to look at the clubs they have in details, than go online and buy them, saving a fair amount in the process. The lads in American golf in Tallaght dont seem to bad, better people skills and can interact with customers, unlike the lads McGuirks Blanch.
    mag wrote: »
    mcguirks in blanch are awful. i went in a few yrs ago to buy a set of irons, trading in my old ones. afair the new ones were about 700, they took one look at me (not "golfer attired") & my old ones (mizuno mps) and said 625 + trade. the irons i wanted werent at a sale price & my trade ins were in really good nick, so i thought this was a dodgy offer & i told them so....their answer was, 'if you dont like it theres the door'.
    i was so pissed off with their attitude that i went out to john mcguirk in howth & told him what i felt. he apologised & gave me the same set of irons (nett of my trade in) for 450.
    so, avoid blanch, go to howth if you want to shop with mcguirks in my experience.
    That a boy Mag, well done!

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Par72

+1 on the awful service in Blanchardstown. Have to say I haven't found Leopardstown to be much better either. Some of the lads in Blanch are way too cool for school.

• Advertisement

Mick Horan in Birr GC has a superb shop and is a lovely bloke

Very well stocked alright.And not too bad on the prices either.

Haven't been out there recently admittedly. But have to recommend Royal Dublin pro shop. Leonard Owens is a top guy and there is a very decent selection of clubs and clothing.

Gave me a free bucket of balls to hit when I was trying out the Mizuno Fli Hi II which I bought from him as well as a Taylormade Rossa Monza putter to try out for a good 30 mins or so. Other places were far more pushing you buying the equipment rather than letting you try anything out. I really should get out to there again :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Mister Sifter

I much prefer going to a pro shop, ala Royal Dublin. The service seems to be more focussed on getting a club that suits the customer rather than just purely getting a sale.

It bugs the life out of me that shops will tell a customer anything just to get them to buy. The lads in McGuirks Blanch are a prime example - they treat virtually all comers as though they are inferior to themselves and fob them off with any all ****e just to get them to buy.

Anyone who claims to have any cop on about golf should be ashamed of themselves if they don't encourage a potential buyer to try out a club before buying. The fact that most McGuirks and co type shops don't offer the facilities to do so is pathetic.

Not defending mcguirks at all here , But they do now offer the chance to try out clubs in the driving bay out the back of the blanchardstown store ..

They have some ignorant staff there .. But if you need help when you there ask for paddy , he's the gentleman with the moustache , he a pleasure to deal with and will always give you a great deal .

I go there myself for my golfing purchases and will now have to try and not laugh wen i go in and and see the sneering pack of muppets standing there ...

GorHugh wrote: »

They have some ignorant staff there .. But if you need help when you there ask for paddy , he's the gentleman with the moustache , he a pleasure to deal with and will always give you a great deal.

Really? I find him the worst of the lot to be honest. He stands around looking at everyone as though they've stole something. Usually stands around the door, giving incomers and people walking out at best a scowl, but generally just a blank stare or generally just ignoring them completely.

He typifies everything that is wrong about the store.

Really? I find him the worst of the lot to be honest. He stands around looking at everyone as though they've stole something. Usually stands around the door, giving incomers and people walking out at best a scowl, but generally just a blank stare or generally just ignoring them completely.

He typifies everything that is wrong about the store.

Hahaha , Paddy was the instore security for years .... Old habbits die hard .. He is a very quiet man , If you approach him he is great to deal with and Wouldn't sell for the sake of selling .

I buy all our Society's prizes there and always get very well looked after . Even if it's only vouchers they'll throw me a couple of lob wedges or cheap putters .

That said .. I wud only deal with one of the others outsude of paddy , A lad called Eamonn . The rest including the manager are ignorant tossers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 hacker123

Got fitted down in birr driving range for a 10.5 cobra, really nice, they have a trackman down there and its the business!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

deko43 wrote: »
    Looks like McGuirks have declared war on Halfpenny...McG just about to open in Pavilions in Swords.

Had a pikey around the place while herself was flexing a credit card in Mothercare. The good news, there's a hitting bay with some type of swing analysis gizmo, and looked like they had the Callaway screw in shaft fitting set up.

The bad news - it wasn't working - the place is poorly stocked and it looks like it's being staffed by some "assistants" from the Blanch Store:confused:

Was in Dundrum's American Golf Discount earlier this afternoon for the first time.

Was surprised because not only did I get one flash from the past, but two in that I knew 2 of the lads who worked there, one of them my old boss :D

I thought the shop itself was well stocked. Some nice items of clothing. Good selection of clubs despite not having the putter I wanted :pac: Only negative was the putting area was tiny.

If you're in there.... ask for Andrew, young lad who's a good fella and knows his stuff.

I see McGuirks have (finally) given their website an overhaul. Only had a quick browse but seems much better.

Currently offering 10% off web orders.

• Advertisement

I see McGuirks have (finally) given their website an overhaul. Only had a quick browse but seems much better.

Currently offering 10% off web orders.

Was wondering why I couldn't get on it the other night.Looks an awful lot better, a lot more professional.If I had 300 quid to spare, it'd be gone on a FT-iZ driver in a flash.

Looks much better indeed. Some good deals too.

Not defending mcguirks at all here , But they do now offer the chance to try out clubs in the driving bay out the back of the blanchardstown store.

That's bollox by the way. The answer i got when i asked to use this recently was 'It's only for custom fitting. The custom fitting guy is away just now and it's €30 per session anyway'.

That's bollox by the way. The answer i got when i asked to use this recently was 'It's only for custom fitting. The custom fitting guy is away just now and it's €30 per session anyway'.

I'd say it was just the "lovely" staff's way of being nice again ....lol

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 858 ✭✭✭Sean Bateman

I was in Nevada Bobs in Cork recently and was very impressed. I would rate it and McGuirks in either Leopardstown or Howth as the best stores in the country (i.e. I'd agree with other posters' views on the Blanchardstown operation).

Whatever happended to the old Nevada Bobs in Dublin (it was in Kimmage/Crumlin)? I got some good stuff there over the years and found the staff particularly helpful (except for the tall guy with the long hair who was incredibly rude).

I was in Nevada Bobs in Cork recently and was very impressed. I would rate it and McGuirks in either Leopardstown or Howth as the best stores in the country (i.e. I'd agree with other posters' views on the Blanchardstown operation).

Whatever happended to the old Nevada Bobs in Dublin (it was in Kimmage/Crumlin)? I got some good stuff there over the years and found the staff particularly helpful (except for the tall guy with the long hair who was incredibly rude).

I know who your on about. He's alright but when he was grumpy he was really grumpy.. best to avoid :pac:

It was the KCR in Kimmage. I lost touch with a lot of the lads who worked in there so couldn't give you an exact reason. But to say the place was overstocked is an understatement especially compared to another store nearby. It wasn't in a great location either, somewhat hidden away in the industrial site. It was never really busy in there, again unlike other stores sadly. Real shame.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭conno16

location was a complete disaster, plain and simple.

anyone in american golf dundrum lately?

conno16 wrote: »
    location was a complete disaster, plain and simple.

anyone in american golf dundrum lately?

Yeah , If you like in your face sales people its fine ........

Not nice people to deal at all ...

Yeah , If you like in your face sales people its fine ........

Not nice people to deal at all ...

Who did you deal with just out of interest(if you remember the name)?

I have an inkling as to who you're on about now but one of the lads in there is very sound lad though whether he's pushy working there I don't know.

• Advertisement

Who did you deal with just out of interest(if you remember the name)?

I have an inkling as to who you're on about now but one of the lads in there is very sound lad though whether he's pushy working there I don't know.

The oldest of the lads working there , he's also a PGA pro . The smaller lad who lives near drogheda is the only person in the shop i would deal with .

Advertisement