Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Golf Stores in Ireland

Options

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

GorHugh wrote: »
    The oldest of the lads working there , he's also a PGA pro . The smaller lad who lives near drogheda is the only person in the shop i would deal with .

Only been in the Dundrum branch once now but totally agree.

Pushy is an understatement regarding the pro. I went in to buy a dozen NXT Tours and some lake balls to practice with in the garden. He kept yapping on about the Pro V1's being the best for a near 10 minutes as I walked around the store. Hoping I would fork out for a dozen of them :rolleyes:

There is a emm.. rather large guy there is complete tool. I worked with him in the Tallaght branch a good few years ago. Very condescending bloke to work for and buy from. He really has no clue.

The young lad, Andrew is a top guy(I know him from my school days) and is helpful I'm sure of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭GorHugh

Only been in the Dundrum branch once now but totally agree.

Pushy is an understatement regarding the pro. I went in to buy a dozen NXT Tours and some lake balls to practice with in the garden. He kept yapping on about the Pro V1's being the best for a near 10 minutes as I walked around the store. Hoping I would fork out for a dozen of them :rolleyes:

There is a emm.. rather large guy there is complete tool. I worked with him in the Tallaght branch a good few years ago. Very condescending bloke to work for and buy from. He really has no clue.

The young lad, Andrew is a top guy(I know him from my school days) and is helpful I'm sure of it.

Being Honest with you I won't be going back to the store ever again .
    I went in a couple of months ago to tease myself by looking a some irons and resue clubs , I told the older of the lads this from the start in the hope that he would leave me in peace , I made i quite clear i wouldn't be buying that day ..

He seemed grand and was helpful in showing me the rescue clubs , he got me to try out 2 of them and i was happy with the taylormade and told him i'd drop back in a couple of days to buy it , He then went fooking spastic at me , told me i was wasting his time and energy , if i wanted it i should buy it there and then , He was loud enough in his opinion to draw attention to us from other customers in the store , I was embarassed to say the least , i slunk out of the shop ... NEVER to return

I have since bought a new set of Irons and A Taylormade hybrid .. American golf never came into the equation while purchaing these ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭conno16

bit of an over reaction there Gor

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭GorHugh

conno16 wrote: »
    bit of an over reaction there Gor

It what sense conno ??

At 32yrs of age did you ever stand in shop and be shouted at by an shop employee and be made feel like you were 7yrs old ??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

Haven't been out there recently admittedly. But have to recommend Royal Dublin pro shop. Leonard Owens is a top guy and there is a very decent selection of clubs and clothing.

Gave me a free bucket of balls to hit when I was trying out the Mizuno Fli Hi II which I bought from him as well as a Taylormade Rossa Monza putter to try out for a good 30 mins or so. Other places were far more pushing you buying the equipment rather than letting you try anything out. I really should get out to there again :p

Leonard is a great guy and so are all the staff in the shop. Really helpful and they have no problem haggling if they see your genuine. Couple of relatives are members down there and we've all been buying our gear down there ourselves. I've bought 1 set of irons from him, 1 5 Wood, 2 putters and a driver. Each time he let me test out the clubs I was interested in for about 30 minutes and then made sure everything was alright with them. In the case of the irons he custom fitted them to me for free. Top guy with a great selection in his shop, couldn't recommend him enough.

Same experience as many in stores like McGuirks, it's ok for buying clothing and shoes but when it comes to clubs steer clear IMO, pushy and offer very little help with them, just want to sell you the lasted most expensive gear in my case.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 858 ✭✭✭Sean Bateman

I know who your on about. He's alright but when he was grumpy he was really grumpy.. best to avoid :pac:

It was the KCR in Kimmage. I lost touch with a lot of the lads who worked in there so couldn't give you an exact reason. But to say the place was overstocked is an understatement especially compared to another store nearby. It wasn't in a great location either, somewhat hidden away in the industrial site. It was never really busy in there, again unlike other stores sadly. Real shame.

It's sad to see any business close. I got some good stuff there and they were a good bunch of lads (except for the long haired fella I mentioned earlier who had run ins with a couple of my mates and myself). Haven't seen any of those guys working in McGuirks etc...hope they got fixed up.

RMD wrote: »
    Leonard is a great guy and so are all the staff in the shop. Really helpful and they have no problem haggling if they see your genuine. Couple of relatives are members down there and we've all been buying our gear down there ourselves. I've bought 1 set of irons from him, 1 5 Wood, 2 putters and a driver. Each time he let me test out the clubs I was interested in for about 30 minutes and then made sure everything was alright with them. In the case of the irons he custom fitted them to me for free. Top guy with a great selection in his shop, couldn't recommend him enough.

Same experience as many in stores like McGuirks, it's ok for buying clothing and shoes but when it comes to clubs steer clear IMO, pushy and offer very little help with them, just want to sell you the lasted most expensive gear in my case.

I think those larger stores have commission structures in place...hence the jumping on customers and anger at perceived "timewasting". Outrageous behaviour really. Do these clowns think they're brain surgeons?!

It's sad to see any business close. I got some good stuff there and they were a good bunch of lads (except for the long haired fella I mentioned earlier who had run ins with a couple of my mates and myself). Haven't seen any of those guys working in McGuirks etc...hope they got fixed up.

What happened exactly and when did it happen if you don't mind me asking?

I fairly sure one of the guys(Gary if you know him) was/is part of the Dundrum branch and one other guy now works in the Lucan branch. Not entirely sure admittedly especially regarding the guy working in Lucan.

What happened exactly and when did it happen if you don't mind me asking?

I fairly sure one of the guys(Gary if you know him) was/is part of the Dundrum branch and one other guy now works in the Lucan branch. Not entirely sure admittedly especially regarding the guy working in Lucan.

I had to buy prizes and told the guy that I had to visit a few different stores to see what their offering was like (i.e. I made it crystal clear that I wasn't buying that day). The guy wouldn't leave me alone and kept offering unsolicited advice. Then he started suggesting (pretty poor) prizes. Then as I was leaving he advised me that he'd the stuff at the till. Then he freaked out when I told him I still had to visit other stores. He accused me of "wasting his time". The other incidents were along similar lines (e.g. unhelpful and rude when told my mate needed information with a view to making a purchase).

Was/is Gary a guy with a receding hairline? He was decent. Is he in the Nevada Bobs in Elevery's in Dundrum? Must head up there. I remember a small guy and a tall guy too who were sound. Which guy's in Lucan? Is Lucan Halpenny Golf?

I had to buy prizes and told the guy that I had to visit a few different stores to see what their offering was like (i.e. I made it crystal clear that I wasn't buying that day). The guy wouldn't leave me alone and kept offering unsolicited advice. Then he started suggesting (pretty poor) prizes. Then as I was leaving he advised me that he'd the stuff at the till. Then he freaked out when I told him I still had to visit other stores. He accused me of "wasting his time". The other incidents were along similar lines (e.g. unhelpful and rude when told my mate needed information with a view to making a purchase).

Was/is Gary a guy with a receding hairline? He was decent. Is he in the Nevada Bobs in Elevery's in Dundrum? Must head up there. I remember a small guy and a tall guy too who were sound. Which guy's in Lucan? Is Lucan Halpenny Golf?

Sorry to hear about that. Phil is name of the long haired guy. Like I said before when he was in a mood, he was really in a mood. But in general he was a sound enough.. at least to work with.

Yes, Gary is the guy with receding hairline :pac: Top bloke and golfer. He really knows his stuff but isn't pushy in the slightest. I heard he was helping out with one of the new branches

The Lucan branch is in Elverys within the Fonthill Retail Park.

• Advertisement

Sorry to hear about that. Phil is name of the long haired guy. Like I said before when he was in a mood, he was really in a mood. But in general he was a sound enough.. at least to work with.

Yes, Gary is the guy with receding hairline :pac: Top bloke and golfer. He really knows his stuff but isn't pushy in the slightest. I heard he was helping out with one of the new branches

The Lucan branch is in Elverys within the Fonthill Retail Park.

Thanks AA.

Good to hear Gary's still involved in the business...he was/is good with the public (unlike the Phil fella!).

Which guy works in the Lucan branch (I'm assuming it's not "the Phil fella")?

Was/is it good fun working in the golf business? And was/is it (as I suspect) commission driven? That would explain the ludicrous pushiness mentioned within these threads.

PS - Didn't realised that you worked there! You're probably the small or tall guy I mentioned earlier! You were good anyways! Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Binky Mc

Was in Golfstyle in Galway recently, I reckon that has to be the biggest, I asked had they got a hybrid in a different loft and he went off out the back and appeared with it. Good trade in too!!

McG's staff are fairly useless, have a lot on their minds, and by that i mean hair gel and flip all else!

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭BiffoGooner

Speaking of McGuirks.. their online 'store' is a bit useless.Ordered a wedge recently that was in stock according to the website and got no confirmation email, nothing about shipping etc, money was taken though of course.Got a call 10 days later to say they didn't have the club in stock and would have to get it direct from Nike.Does it really take 10 days to check your stock and realise you don't have the product?That phone call was the last I heard about it and that was 2 and a half weeks ago.I only bought it from McGuirks for 'handiness' as they're in this country at least, but sure I'd have had the club weeks ago if I'd ordered from England as I usually do.Was in the Blanchardstown store a few weeks ago and the 'service' was comical, and the online store seems to be a joke too.There's no way I'll ever set foot inside one of their stores or buy off their website again, absolute cowboys.

Sounds like they might be using their online customers as a source of credit.

You order a club and pay for it up front. Only then do they order it from Nike. And they don't have to pay Nike for weeks. It's a win win for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Paud.....

ive been in nevada bobs in castlebar a few time and ive had no complaints...the have a trackman in store so u really know what ur getting before u purchase!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭Tippex

popped into halpenny off grafton street today.
    I was looking for yellow Titleist Solo's and was told nope sorry don't have any.
    Its not the time of year for yellow balls.

I saying to myself "WTF not that time of year for yellow balls".
    I've heard it all now Seasonal golf balls.

The only reason for going for the yellows is I find them easier to see than the white balls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Speaking of McGuirks.. their online 'store' is a bit useless.Ordered a wedge recently that was in stock according to the website and got no confirmation email, nothing about shipping etc, money was taken though of course.Got a call 10 days later to say they didn't have the club in stock and would have to get it direct from Nike.Does it really take 10 days to check your stock and realise you don't have the product?That phone call was the last I heard about it and that was 2 and a half weeks ago.I only bought it from McGuirks for 'handiness' as they're in this country at least, but sure I'd have had the club weeks ago if I'd ordered from England as I usually do.Was in the Blanchardstown store a few weeks ago and the 'service' was comical, and the online store seems to be a joke too.There's no way I'll ever set foot inside one of their stores or buy off their website again, absolute cowboys.

I ordered a bag from McGuirks online on Monday, having read this post I decided to email them to find out where it was. Same story, it's out of stock so they have to order it in. They gave absolutely no indication of this and it's piss poor that I had to contact them to find this out. Definitely won't be ordering from them again online anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭BiffoGooner

danthefan wrote: »
    I ordered a bag from McGuirks online on Monday, having read this post I decided to email them to find out where it was. Same story, it's out of stock so they have to order it in. They gave absolutely no indication of this and it's piss poor that I had to contact them to find this out. Definitely won't be ordering from them again online anyway.

It's frustrating alright.Didn't particularly want to badmouth a certain store on a forum, but when there's that kinda messin' going on I think it's fair.But we were on to them today and they offered a partial refund since the order was made over a month ago, so I can't criticise them too much after that.I think what Sean said on the previous page is probably bang on, and it's bad form.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,121 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Cheers for letting us golfers know.

I was going to order from them tomorrow but after hearing about this I think I put my cash somewhere else or wait till I can get too shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭Tippex

when you consider that they have multiple stores there really is no excuse for not having the website tie into their central stock system. The only reason I can think of is being cheap and not paying for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Oliver1985

Only Started playing a few weeks ago but ordered a set off McGuirks online took 14 days to arrive!!

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭arch staunton

thanks for tip off guys was just looking at there website wont be buying on line

• Registered Users Posts: 4 thatsabirdie

Heading in the Killarney/Kenmare direction for a couple of days, any good golf stores in the region I could max the credit card in? :D:)

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭golfguy1

the golf shop in killarney town is good. Small selction but very good on prices and seems a nice guy aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

If you want to deal with somebody who knows his stuff and is a gentleman also, go to McGuirks in Leopardstown and ask for Mark, the tall one with glasses, there are two Marks !!

I have bought a fair amount of stuff from him over the years and always found him to be polite and professional with a complete absence of bulls**t

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭cadobady

Heading in the Killarney/Kenmare direction for a couple of days, any good golf stores in the region I could max the credit card in? :D:)

there is a great Nike shop in the middle of killarney - they sell golf clothing at very good prices, i have been down there the last couple of years and pop in each time

• Registered Users Posts: 1 clemengb

I found the experience of buying in McGuirks in Blanch to be very positive, there is one lad that I would avoid if at all possible but the rest of the lads are grand. Brendan the manager of the shop is extremely helpful and I have found that if you purchase anything that may be defective they will accomodate you if at all possible. A case in point, I bought a pair of Footjoy shoes for €125 and went back a year later to buy a pair of ECO shoes. While paying for the shoes I mentioned to the assistant that I had bought a pair of Footjoys from them a year before and that they had leaked after approx 9 months.Without hesitation he asked if I had the shoes with me which I did, he took the shoes from me and my name and contact number and the following week rang to tell me he had a voucher in the shop for me to the value of €125. I also bought a Power Caddy trolley from them, the switch blew on the first time of using, I brought it back to the shop and they instantly replaced it with a new one. I buy a lot of equipment from Mcguirks in blanch and would not let one difficult assistant put me off, the rest of the lads do a grand job. happy Golfing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭redarmy

clemengb wrote: »
    I found the experience of buying in McGuirks in Blanch to be very positive, there is one lad that I would avoid if at all possible but the rest of the lads are grand. Brendan the manager of the shop is extremely helpful and I have found that if you purchase anything that may be defective they will accomodate you if at all possible. A case in point, I bought a pair of Footjoy shoes for €125 and went back a year later to buy a pair of ECO shoes. While paying for the shoes I mentioned to the assistant that I had bought a pair of Footjoys from them a year before and that they had leaked after approx 9 months.Without hesitation he asked if I had the shoes with me which I did, he took the shoes from me and my name and contact number and the following week rang to tell me he had a voucher in the shop for me to the value of €125. I also bought a Power Caddy trolley from them, the switch blew on the first time of using, I brought it back to the shop and they instantly replaced it with a new one. I buy a lot of equipment from Mcguirks in blanch and would not let one difficult assistant put me off, the rest of the lads do a grand job. happy Golfing.

Nice first post...brendan,:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,534 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Got a mail in from Carr golf this afternoon.

Saying they are offering up to 40% off a lot of stock from 8th-16th.

Includes that deal on Cleveland wedges, reduced from 109 to 79 euro with an extra 30 euro trade in for any wedge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

I just read in golf monthly that Cleveland are doing the offer of €30 trade in for wedges again this year. Anyone know is any stores in Ireland are doing this?

Advertisement