Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Music, Media And Performance Technology

Options
  • 31-03-2010 1:50am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13

Hey everybody, I've been looking around online to find out more about the Music, Media And Performance Technology course in UL, but old threads seem very out-dated, so I've turned to ye guys for some help :D

I would just like to find out more about the course, either your personal experiences with it, or what you've heard about the course.
    Other things I'd like to know are:
    If you do not know how to play any intrument or do not study music, is this course a "no no" or would picking up the piano again be ok?
    Are there any real job prospects after completing this course, in any field related (i.e. broadcasting, editing, production etc.).
    How many hours are there in the course per week? (I'd like to be kept busy :) )
    Any general statement or info on the course would be super!

xoxo

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

do a search for boards.ie ul and then the course name and you will find a few threads any info on this course hasnt changed

what are you looking for from your degree?

edit; do the search on google

Hi! I'm currently a first year in MMPT. Maybe I can help.

When I first came to UL, like many I was really expecting an all out music course! Alot of people were! But it really isn't that at all, or at least it hasn't been so far. There is a lot more to it than music. We do maths and also a lot of programming. Other things too like media studies and various software packages like Flash and Logic.

I hear that in second year the course becomes more focused on audio and visual technology.

I reckon it would be fairly easy to do this course without previous music experience. A bit of a challenge but nothing too pressing.

In relation to jobs, we had a talk with an owner of a recording studio recently and he said that you generally either make your own job, or move away where there is jobs in the fields. If you decide programming is your favourite and develop your skills in that, then you will more than likely get a job, as there is many jobs for programmers out there!

In first year, we have around 17 hours a week which is a nice amount. Its not too hectic, but not too easy either. I think its less for second and third years etc.

I guess its important to note that you dont really need any previous experience in programming or music, but the more you have, the easier it gets.

Hope this helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭pinkdiamond

i'm a second year mmpt. did a lot of studio recording and short-film making this year. Was good craic. This is not a music course, it's a music, media and performance course. In first year, there's a lot of stuff covered that doesn't seem relevant, but it will later on. There is maths to music and because there is a lot of computer work, it's nice to have some programming behind you. second year is a lot more practical stuff- we only had 2 summer exams with all the projects! We had about 12hours of labs and lectures but you need to put in more yourself to do projects and stuff.

In regards to work- right now there is no work for anyone in any field. I'm hoping to leave ireland for the states when im fin college to get work and travel for a bit and maybe return later in life to settle in ireland and work for RTE or the likes.

Advertisement