Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newry -v- Enniskillen

Options
  • 31-03-2010 2:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭

Thinking about heading up for a drive next week, just wondering where would people recommend Newry or Enniskillen. The Mammy wants to go to Asda so Enniskillen is handiest for that, but I see there's also one in Kilkeel? I'd be moreso looking for clothes and technology.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82,777 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

The ASDA in Kilkeel is tiny and you would be better going elsewhere. Not sure where you are coming from but from Dublin you might be aswell going all the way to Belfast for ASDA rather than Enniskillen. The Sainsburys in Newry has been renovated recently and stocks more products so that might be better, theres an Argos, HMV and Currys in Newry which should stock most electronics.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

As the previous poster says, Belfast is better.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

Enniskillen is better.

Teco and Asda superstores.

There's also argos and currys etc etc in Enniskillen too.

It all depends on where your driving from. I'm in Longford so quicker for me to go to Enniskillen. My father is from Dublin and it's quicker to go to Newry but he still goes to Enniskillen. He drove straight to enniskillen one day and it was a long ass journey. He found if he drove on the M4 towards Longford, switched onto the N55 at Edgesworth town and straight to Enniskillen from there he saved about an hours journey going straight up the N3.

Too much traffic etc along the Kells route. When he went via N55 there was virtually no traffic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭ha-ya-said-what

Enniskillen, you have Tesco & a big Asda & the shopping centre all beside each other so you'd have no bother getting clothes & technology stuff.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

Asda, Tescos and shopping center for most of your needs. There's an Iceland in the middle of the town. If you look for it on the left after you pass KFC on the way in. It's under the huge Heatons sign.

Also on the smaller road from the shopping centre roundabout up to Tescos there's a Motor factors. It's quite cheap and the lads are a good help I've found.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Yawns wrote: »
    Asda, Tescos and shopping center for most of your needs. There's an Iceland in the middle of the town. If you look for it on the left after you pass KFC on the way in. It's under the huge Heatons sign.

Also on the smaller road from the shopping centre roundabout up to Tescos there's a Motor factors. It's quite cheap and the lads are a good help I've found.

Newry is ok for shopping etc but Belfast is considerably cheaper than Newry I think and has an Asda (WestWood) and Sainsburys almost next to each other on the Falls Road. Belfast and Newry are grand but the A4 and west of the NI M1 road are not to great as a slow driver can there can be a nightmare, add to that the Extension of the M1 motorway to Ballygawley has roadworks as this stretch of the A4 is being turned into Motorway and I was diverted south to Aughnacloy off it last week which was a disaster.

Your best bet is Newry & Belfast as Enniskillen is a nice bit to the west and the roads are considerably worse in Western Northern Ireland. If coming from Munster or Dublin stick to the Motorway and you'll be into the CastleCourt multistory carpark in Belfast City Centre in no time and parking is £1.70/hour.

Advertisement