Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Questions for all you Bird watchers out there

• 31-03-2010 2:17am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭

Hi, I was wondering if some people here would like to share their experience of how they started/began Bird watching, and what it is that they get out of it?

I was thinking of taking up this hobbie myself, how do I begin? surely if I go bird-watching, depending on the bird I want to find there would have to be the right time of year for it? and also I would have to have the right equipment? If you could, would you please include in your replies the kind of equipment you use and which you think is best?

Pax Christi
    Stephen <3

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭E39MSport

Hi there.

I'm very much a fair weather amateur and do it purely for the love of the birds. I don't concentrate on looking for specific birds just love watcing what goes on in my garden and surrounds or whever I happen to be.

Birdwatch Ireland have courses for sale on their website. edit: - You could do worse than join up with them if not already done.

I hope you enjoy it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Bird watching for me came from a general love of getting out to wild places and enjoying Nature as a whole. While fishing as a child I got to see many birds not to be found in our garde (your garden is a great place to statr by the way). I would go home and look up some books to find out what I saw each day.

Do not as a beginner go out to find a particualar bird. go looking at all birds or any bird. Learn the common ones first. See how they behave. Listen to how they sound. Visit different types of environment. Fields with hegderows, Rivers, mudflats and estuaries - all differnet types of birds to be found. Have a couple of decent birdguides on the shelf at home.
    To begin with your eyes are the best piece of equiptment. A notebook to list what you saw and note descriptions for looking up later. A pair of 8x40 (ish) binoculars will do to start with. Warm clothes, and a pair of boots help too! It's great if you can have someone to go with you - it's safer, more enjoyable, you learn from each other and a second pair of eyes helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Without wishing to sound disparaging I can never understand people who think about taking up a hobby - it's not like a career choice, it's more something you drift into gradually acquiring more information, contacts, knowledge, books etc.etc. I've had numerous hobbies but never one that I sat down and made a conscious decision to 'take-up'. The very fact that the OP has to ask what it is that people gets out of the hobby of birdwatching seems very perculiar. :confused:

That crossed my mind too JD. I don't see any hint from the OP that he has even a passing interest in the subject but who knows?

I agree that hobbies are something that grow rather than burst into being.

Stephen,

It has occurred to me, that as you are in Dundalk, there are often talks on birding at the Spirit Store down at the quays. Also you can watch birds at the quays, along the Navvy Bank, and either side of the village in Blackrock. Carlingford Lough/Cooley is also good for water birds. Plenty of open countryside around and the parks in town are good for beginners as well. Follow the coast from Carlingford south to Clogherhead and there will be plenty to see.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭Stephentlig

Thanks Lads, I had thought of those spots myself Srameen. Perhaps my wording of it as ''taking it up'' could of been perceived in many ways as having no interest, but I love looking at God in his creation, its just I dont happen to focus one part of it more than the other, however I do have an interest in Bird-watching thats been growing for some time, but the advice Srameen has given me has been just what I was looking for.

I'll have to go buy some books on birds that will help me identify what it is I'm looking at. Any reccommendations as to what book I should buy?

Pax Christi
    Stephen <3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Birdwatching in Ireland by Eric Dempsey might be a good place to start.

http://www.birdsireland.com/pages/rare_bird_news/2008/ericsbook.html

Birdwatch Ireland at: http://www.birdwatchireland.ie/

would also be a worthwhile organisation to consider joining - they hold meetings, run outings and manage nature reserves. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭VERYinterested

The Collins Complete Irish Wildlife is a good start as it gives the more common birds (and excludes those found only in Britain or Europe) and trees, fish, mammals, insects as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭Stephentlig

thanks lads, will get around to doing all the above mentioned at some stage, cheers.

Pax Christi
    Stephen <3

• Advertisement
Advertisement