Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

building a pc, best place for parts,

Options
  • 31-03-2010 2:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭

okay so planing on building a pc for about 250 need to know best place for parts ,
    and good parts to use
    all ideas and places please let me know
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

€250?? :o What's the intended use? :confused: And do you have any spare-but-not-completely-obsolete parts to salvage from an old PC? (please say yes... :o) €250 really isn't much to work with... :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭antocann

sorry ment to put 250 is minimum. no nuthin so blank canvise,
    just mainly for internet nd wathcing movies

I'll see what I can find tomorrow but have a look at Dell and the like too, unless you want to build your own for experience or just SnG ;)

The big OEMs are usually quite competitive down the very bottom end of the market, whereas the cost of things like operating system and RAM really pushes up the price of an entry-level own build :o Also have a look in Curry's (PC World have been pricey of late!) - they sometimes have good deals on low-end rigs, even with a decent OS and monitor included! :)

BTW... do you need a monitor? :o

ah, just realy want to have a bash at buildin a pc ,really fasinated by that stuff so would love to do it ,
    dont need a monitor as its realy only gona be a second pc,
    so far i came up with this? :
    this case: http://www.ebuyer.com/product/150284
    this psu : http://www.ebuyer.com/product/169216

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Deano12345

antocann wrote: »
    ah, just realy want to have a bash at buildin a pc ,really fasinated by that stuff so would love to do it ,
    dont need a monitor as its realy only gona be a second pc,
    so far i came up with this? :
    this case: http://www.ebuyer.com/product/150284
    this psu : http://www.ebuyer.com/product/169216

Never EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER skimp on a PSU.

Sorry, I just cant stress how important it is to get a good PSU, theres a reason that one is £15. Any decent 400W PSU should cost anywhere from €50 - €70 (and the upper end,you would probably be getting a 450W).

I'm gonna recommend the Corsair CX400. Provides stable,clean power with great build quality.

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=404885

As far as the case goes, its not bad (ie : it will do the job) but again, I would buy something with more expandability (so you dont have to replace your case a few months down when you get a graphics card that wont fit)

I'd say get the Antec 300, it's (IMO) the BEST case under €50, cools well, is suited for expansion (places for extra fans), looks great, and is built well

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=354717

• Advertisement

any sugestions on a motherboard?

any sugestions on a motherboard?

A Phenom II should serve you well. Its fast enough that it wont bottleneck most graphics cards and still very affordable.I've paired it with one of Asus M4 series boards, they have a modern AMD chipset (cheaper boards go for Nvidia chipsets which are outdated), it also has an onboard HD4200 GPU which will play movies just fine.

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=488302

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=494710

... And I was gonna tell you there are triple-core Packard Bells with monitors and Windows 7 for €449 in PC World... :o

no pc world near me , id jus realy like to feel the experience of makin a pc ,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Solitaire wrote: »
    ... And I was gonna tell you there are triple-core Packard Bells with monitors and Windows 7 for €449 in PC World... :o

You should be ashamed of your self sol. I demand you be de-modded and banned for suggesting someone go into pcworld.

:pac:

• Advertisement

:P

When you add shipping and the OS on top I can't really come up with anything below the €400 mark even without a monitor...

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Hornd

Looks like he's going open source then!!!!

Welcome to Ubuntu.;)

Solitaire wrote: »
    :P

When you add shipping and the OS on top I can't really come up with anything below the €400 mark even without a monitor...

Ubuntu and collect the stuff from Komplett PUP :p

@ OP : The odd custom built rigs pop up on adverts, have a look on their

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Could go ION, since its only going to be used for the most basic of tasks.

have os already sorted :rolleyes:
    my budget is realy only for the guts of 1 dont need harddrive or dvddrive

yeh i seen a few on there , i sold my one of my other pc's on there, i jus wanna have a bit of fun making one

yeh i seen a few on there , i sold my one of my other pc's on there, i jus wanna have a bit of fun making one

Just get 4GB of ram,along with my suggestions above and away you go.

Or take Anti's suggestion and go with an Intel Atom/ION build

i was thinking of buyin those parts but just wondering do i need to buy a cpu cooler ?
    or is ther 1 included

Yes it comes with one :)

Not needing a HDD/DVD/OS/monitor makes life easier... :)

Under €250 shipped, and it's not quite a bottom-of-the-barrel spec either - I went for a decent enough CPU and mobo, and at least passable case, PSU and RAM:

Pix310310.png

On another note: ooh, Akasa's released a new entry-level PSU! I wonder who the OEM is??

• Advertisement

ok been doin a lot of look and pixmania looks like a good site (never herd of it till tonight :eek:)
    ok so heres what i put together so far tell me what you think
    (also how do you get the images to sho in the thread?)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Effluo

ah, just realy want to have a bash at buildin a pc

Solution:
    1. Buy an old pc for €100
    2. Take it apart
    3. Put it back together again :cool:

You left out the ram on the build you linked to Keep in mind though that you need DDR3 ram if you go with that motherboard.

Otherwise my advice to you would be that building a pc is actually really simple and it's the deciding which parts you want is what's difficult.
    Stick around here for a few days or read some other threads of people looking to buy computers on a budget. The parts is what's really interesting about it, although it is also nice when the pc boots up first no matter what parts are in it(more relief than anything lol) :D

Mobo and case are awful, no RAM on there either.

And I did some more research on that PSU. Until there's a definitive review on it I'd recommend not toching it with a bargepole - I saw how the 350W EssentialPower did and it didn't make happy reading; the deisgn of those things are older than God. Once upon a time Akasa used Enhance as their OEM... now they're selling units Raidmax would be proud of :oNOT WANT!! :eek:

Stick with the CX400 for now. And if you want a cheap yet blingy case get a NZXT Gamma. The big colourful no-name units are dire quality :o

yeh i left the ram out on that cos i might be able to get it cheaper else where
    iv got a custom pc i baught online , its : windows 7, 4gb ram 320gb hd , dvdrw so thats decent enough but just wanna get a second pc together
    it will be fun annyoing and a good experience for myself:D:cool:

i kida like the case so i might stick with it , but the mobo and psu is were i need most help ,

Mobo should be one with a modern chipset, like the one on my list up there. PSUs really start with the Corsair CX400, below that everything tends to be crap :o

so the mobo in the one above you posted, would that be good also i was lookin at a 1gb video gard , and sugestions?

With that mobo you wouldn't need a graphics card. Not unless you intended to run 3D games on it anyway.

card!!!

• Advertisement

Eh?

Advertisement