Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

DF to withdraw from Chad.

• 31-03-2010 3:16am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭

Surprised it hasent been mentioned here yet:

http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/0330/chad.html

Only Kosovo left,where to next?

How will this affect the Army with regards to training,funding and intake, or will it at all?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

You need to dump that neutrality thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

Zambia232 wrote: »
    You need to dump that neutrality thing.

The Non-aligned thing you mean;)

I agree,but do you think we could sustain our soliders for a extended period of time in the Middle East?

Would the country have the stomach if our troops were coming home maimed or killed?

And one I think we all know the answer to,do our politicians have the balls to make a the shout to send the DF overseas?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

The Non-aligned thing you mean;)
    Yeah that
    I agree,but do you think we could sustain our soliders for a extended period of time in the Middle East?
    Possible, in regards finance I would rather see that than the record of the goverment spending all its cash on magic beans like it used to (when it had cash)
    Would the country have the stomach if our troops were coming home maimed or killed?
    Nobody has the stomach for this, at the end of the day that is what a military is for. Fighting for the causes the country sees fit.
    And one I think we all know the answer to,do our politicians have the balls to make a the shout to send the DF overseas?!

Ah true .... sadly its a bit of a Lions leashed by lambs scenario.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

Surprised it hasent been mentioned here yet:

http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/0330/chad.html

Only Kosovo left,where to next?

How will this affect the Army with regards to training,funding and intake, or will it at all?

Kosovo is also gone.

Rumour mill is suggesting Afghanistan.....seriously doubt it though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭Caoimhín

I read that, the DOF blamed the upcoming rainy season!!!

More about money id say.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

Caoimhín wrote: »
    I read that, the DOF blamed the upcoming rainy season!!!

More about money id say.

Its not about the money, the irish government gets a substantial monetary allowance from the U.N.

For every person, item of equipment / ordnance we supply on the ground, the U.N will give our Government a "contribution" towards what we bring.....this theoretically saves the U.N money because they do not have to supply the equipment.

The reason Chad is being downsized is the President of tChad does not want U.N troops in the country...especially "white troops".

• Registered Users Posts: 9 redknightmanila

when our defence forces are sent abroad , our nation gains as our troops learn from other foreign troops abroad .

by working for the un it does improve moral as well for the irish troops .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

by working for the un it does improve moral as well for the irish troops .

Serving with the UN does WHAT?... "improve moral" - you got to be joking, right?..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

it said in todays paper that the pull out may not happen as there waiting to see if the U.N. extends its mandate in chad, saying that it was just a tiny little column at the bottom left hand corner on page 2 of todays sun!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,350 ✭✭✭twinytwo

Zambia232 wrote: »
    Yeah that

Possible, in regards finance I would rather see that than the record of the goverment spending all its cash on magic beans like it used to (when it had cash)

Nobody has the stomach for this, at the end of the day that is what a military is for. Fighting for the causes the country sees fit.

Ah true .... sadly its a bit of a Lions leashed by lambs scenario.

and what would afghan and the like have to do with us exactly?.. the reason irish troops are so well respected is because we dont go getting involved in places where we are not wanted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭OS119

twinytwo wrote: »
    and what would afghan and the like have to do with us exactly?.. the reason irish troops are so well respected is because we dont go getting involved in places where we are not wanted.

horseshit.

Irish troops are respected within UNPK ops because they can be expected not to sell all their equipment to one side or other (unlike the Ukranians), or take the normal bribes to not see, and not get involved whenever one side or other steps over whatever lines the UNSC mandate decides are appropriate.

thats it. they are by no means the best. troops. ever. TM, they are just reasonably proficient troops who can be relied upon to do less damage to the mandate and the wider UN than most other UN troop contributing nations - almost all of which are second or third world.

not something to get that excited about. they don't sell all their kit and they are reasonably fair in implementing their mission. whoopdie fcuking-do, they must be the only soldiers in the world who do that. except for the several million soldiers from Europe and North America....

i'm glad you think that not turning up at a genocide, or fcuking off when asked to do so by the great moral guardians of our age - the governments of Chad, Serbia, and Sudan for instance - is a sign of moral fibre.

Advertisement