Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Q: Not enough USB slots, A: USB Hub?

• 31-03-2010 5:06am

Hey all,

I'm using a desktop computer that has four USB slots on it, two on the back and two on the front.

I have three ext. drives though, and I would like to keep them all at the back (that way no wires are visible.. well.. barely visible).

So I was wondering, what's the best way to go about this? I was thinking of picking up a cheap ass USB hub from ebay?

Something along the lines of THIS.

Would that be my problem sorted or would I be opening up another series of problems? I know this may seem like a silly qurstion and all, but it just seems straight-forward.. a little too straight-forward.

Also, assuming that will work, how does it work for me when I want to access my drives? Does my computer realise that i'm using a hub and would rename the drives appropriately and display them all in 'My Computer' as it does now, or does the hub get it's own drive name, and all of the hard drives connected to the hub are then displayed within that?

Just a little curious :)

Cheers :)

Comments

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

Hey all,

I'm using a desktop computer that has four USB slots on it, two on the back and two on the front.

I have three ext. drives though, and I would like to keep them all at the back (that way no wires are visible.. well.. barely visible).

So I was wondering, what's the best way to go about this? I was thinking of picking up a cheap ass USB hub from ebay?

Something along the lines of THIS.

Would that be my problem sorted or would I be opening up another series of problems? I know this may seem like a silly qurstion and all, but it just seems straight-forward.. a little too straight-forward.

Also, assuming that will work, how does it work for me when I want to access my drives? Does my computer realise that i'm using a hub and would rename the drives appropriately and display them all in 'My Computer' as it does now, or does the hub get it's own drive name, and all of the hard drives connected to the hub are then displayed within that?

Just a little curious :)

Cheers :)

Basicly, yeah.

each drive will have its own letter.

Will using a hub slow them down or anything though?

Or is it just all straight-forward?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,235 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Are these drive self-powered or are they pocket drives? like the WD Passport?

A hub only gets as much Amperage as its Source USB port, 500mA. And the average drive takes up all of this. The WD Passports I think are designed for ~400mA. And many drives come with a Y cable just to grab Amperage off of 2 USB Ports (up to 1A)

Get a Powered USB Hub to avoid any complication: http://cgi.ebay.ie/7-Port-USB-2-0-HUB-with-3000mA-UK-Power-Adapter-PSU_W0QQitemZ280376805612QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Computing_Cables_USB_Hubs_ET?hash=item4147c288ec

This one has a 3A supply - enough to supply full juice to up to 6 external drives (but nominally, would power 7)

You're correct also in that the connections will still be choked - ie. the Maximum throughput at any one time, regardless of how many drives are in the hub, would be 480mbps.

The Best of the Best options for your situation would be to just get a USB card for your PCI slot. all of the ports will have their own dedicated power and throughput. unlike the hub option.

http://cgi.ebay.ie/5-Ports-Port-USB-2-0-PCI-Card-Controller-Adaptor_W0QQitemZ230396697984QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Computing_DesktopComponents_RL?hash=item35a4b69d80

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

without even looking at what you put up. Yes it will work and you wont notice the difference.

Overheal wrote: »
    Are these drive self-powered or are they pocket drives? like the WD Passport?

A hub only gets as much Amperage as its Source USB port, 500mA. And the average drive takes up all of this. The WD Passports I think are designed for ~400mA. And many drives come with a Y cable just to grab Amperage off of 2 USB Ports (up to 1A)

Get a Powered USB Hub to avoid any complication: http://cgi.ebay.ie/7-Port-USB-2-0-HUB-with-3000mA-UK-Power-Adapter-PSU_W0QQitemZ280376805612QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Computing_Cables_USB_Hubs_ET?hash=item4147c288ec

This one has a 3A supply - enough to supply full juice to up to 6 external drives (but nominally, would power 7)

You're correct also in that the connections will still be choked - ie. the Maximum throughput at any one time, regardless of how many drives are in the hub, would be 480mbps.

The Best of the Best options for your situation would be to just get a USB card for your PCI slot. all of the ports will have their own dedicated power and throughput. unlike the hub option.

http://cgi.ebay.ie/5-Ports-Port-USB-2-0-PCI-Card-Controller-Adaptor_W0QQitemZ230396697984QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Computing_DesktopComponents_RL?hash=item35a4b69d80

Quality post, thank you! :)

All of the drives have their own power supply (ie; all need to be plugged in) so would the item i linked to in the first post be good enough there?

The USB card seems like a pretty good idea alright, but the only issue I have with that is that I don't really want to start messing about with the desktop's interior as I haven't really a clue what I'd be doing.

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure it'd be straight forward enough, but buying a hub is just a lot less hassle for me.

At least now I know the ins-and-outs of it though, and may invest in a USB card later on down the line.

Thanks Overheal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭eamonnq

http://avslgroup.com/product/501.171UK

I only set up one of these last night, for a similar application and it works fine, although I have the hub hidden at the back of my desk as it lights up like a nightclub!!

Advertisement