Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this a Woodmouse?

• 31-03-2010 8:29am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,733 ✭✭✭

I have a little mouse living in the garden shed since the winter. I'm positive it isn't a house-mouse and have been feeding it - some wild bird seeds, peanuts, bread crumbs... It mostly comes out at night but got a few pics in the daylight so wondering if anyone could confirm it's a Woodmouse?? I'm in the UK btw!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭marlin vs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Being in Ireland I'd say it's a Wood Mouse, as it's all WE have apart from the familiar House Mouse. I know you have others in the UK but it looks like a Wood Mouse to me. Maybe ask on a UK site.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

I've 2 in my shed that look just like that. When I spot them in daylight they don't look like house mice but I find it very hard to be sure. Are larger ears, white underparts and lighter brown colouring good indicators that they are wood mice?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,733 ✭✭✭sudzs

Thanks for the replies! :)

Was wondering if it might have been a Harvest Mouse but from what I can find online, they seem to have furry legs and feet!! Think it's a Wood Mouse allright.

Are larger ears, white underparts and lighter brown colouring good indicators that they are wood mice?

Yes, I think those are the main differences between these and the house mouse.

I don't suppose there's any way to tell if it's male or female...?! (apart from the obvious but I don't want to capture it and give it a heart attack! :D ) My one seems to have a smaller companion the last few days. Smaller, more timid and slightly darker fur do am wondering if it's an offspring or a ladyfriend!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭Rancid

I found this little guy in our porch today. :)
    img0523y.th.jpg

I had been suspicious for 3 or 4 weeks but because our cat had paid little attention I had dismissed the thought.
    Then I found very definite bite-marks and holes in bird food packets so I just had to investigate.

Wood mouse?
    House mouse?

I think he may have come inside during the really cold weather, the door is open for 4 or 5 hours each day so he has the option to leave.
    He's more than welcome to stay until the weather warms up a bit.
    Apart from bird food, what would he like to eat? Nuts, sultanas?
    Now that I know he's there I'll provide a dish of water.

• Advertisement
Advertisement