Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AIB credit card

Options
  • 31-03-2010 8:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭

I need a credit card and intend to go with AIB as I am already with them. I have a few questions, if someone could help me I'd really appreciate it.
    1) Is there any real difference between VISA and Mastercard?
    2) The APR is different on the BE and the CLICK card and CLICK lets you do more online I think which is good- are there any other factors that I should be considering? I can't really see much difference to be honest.
    3) How do you pay it off? If it's online I presume I can just transfer money from my current account. If you set up a direct debit for example of 50% can you pay the remaining 50% also or do you get charged interest? When does the interest get added on?

Also does anyone know if it is very hard to get a card? I have heard people are getting refused who have good salaries etc. Should I apply to lots of places just in case?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Jamie-b wrote: »
    I need a credit card and intend to go with AIB as I am already with them. I have a few questions, if someone could help me I'd really appreciate it.
    No, there isn't
    2) The APR is different on the BE and the CLICK card and CLICK lets you do more online I think which is good- are there any other factors that I should be considering? I can't really see much difference to be honest.

There isn't much difference, apart from one crucial one: the interest rate. The Click card is lower, and that's the most important thing, seem as you don't have a card already (so no need for balance transfer offers etc)
    3) How do you pay it off? If it's online I presume I can just transfer money from my current account. If you set up a direct debit for example of 50% can you pay the remaining 50% also or do you get charged interest? When does the interest get added on?

A variety of ways: in the Post Office, by direct debit (you can select a % to pay), by online banking etc. Personally I prefer online banking, as it means I'm in control and can pay exactly what I need to - however, if you don't have a good memory, paying at least the minimum payment by direct debit will avoid you getting hit with late payment fees etc.

You can pay as much as you like on to it (i.e. 50% direct debit, cash via post office, transfer via online banking etc)

You normally get X amount of days interest free. Check the card information for exact details. Basically, if you don't pay your full balance each month, expect to pay some interest (unless you get a card with 6 months interest free as a starting bonus etc)
    Also does anyone know if it is very hard to get a card? I have heard people are getting refused who have good salaries etc. Should I apply to lots of places just in case?

We don't know your personal circumstances, so it's hard for anyone to day it will be "hard" for you to get one. Applying with your own bank (as you're doing) is always a good start, as they'll know your history. Don't apply to lots of different places, as searches can show up on your credit history, and seeing lots of them all together can make lenders nervous :)

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Jamie-b

Thanks for the reply. I have a full time job, decent salary, bit of savings but have never had a loan which I heard can work against me, but I have an overdraft which I have been in so maybe that'll count a bit.. I just heard that some banks are refusing most people. sure I'll just give it a go:D
    paying at least the minimum payment by direct debit will avoid you getting hit with late payment fees etc.

You can pay as much as you like on to it (i.e. 50% direct debit, cash via post office, transfer via online banking etc)
    can you clarify this for me- if you do have a direct debit you just log in and pay the money. But if you do, and it's only 50% you have not paid it all, so can you log in and just pay the rest? I want to pay it all every month but I don't want to opt for 100% direct debit in case I ever have a large purchase and can't pay it all in one go

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Yes, you can pay x% (say 50) by direct debit, then pay whatever else you want via online banking etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭Xcellor

Fu**ers just put the interest rate up. Just got my card approved and got a letter saying the rate was now 9.5 :) Up from 8.5 still quite low compared to others though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 newtogame

Can someone tell me if card protection insurance as opposed to payment protection insurance is necessary when taking out a new credit card with AIB?.We are getting away from MBNA as they are an awful crowd to deal with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

newtogame wrote: »
    Can someone tell me if card protection insurance as opposed to payment protection insurance is necessary when taking out a new credit card with AIB?.We are getting away from MBNA as they are an awful crowd to deal with.

All insurance is purely optional. See here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 QQ1Cup

Jamie-b wrote: »

There are some minor differences in FX conversion rates and charges, in regards to charges check the card issuers T&C for details. Also Mastercard is less likely to work for online gambling, typically you can deposit but not withdraw to Mastercard.

Advertisement