Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Claiming tax back

Options
  • 31-03-2010 9:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭

Hey,

Iv finished working over in oz still in Sydney but worked in Brisbane, what tax am I entitled to back, if any, and how do I go about claiming it? Do I have to wait until I leave oz or can I do while I am still here? I know I have to wait until I leave to claim my super back! Don't particularly want to use taxback.com if it is easy to claim tax yourself? anyone any help?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭FreeAnd..

Hey,

Iv finished working over in oz still in Sydney but worked in Brisbane, what tax am I entitled to back, if any, and how do I go about claiming it? Do I have to wait until I leave oz or can I do while I am still here? I know I have to wait until I leave to claim my super back! Don't particularly want to use taxback.com if it is easy to claim tax yourself? anyone any help?

Thanks

Whil you are there go to a post office (i think) and get a tax pack for the current year. Or They will send this to you free of charge from the ato website (even sent mine here to NZ)...all the details are here http://www.ato.gov.au/individuals/content.asp?doc=/content/14747.htm (sorry cant post tags at the moment)

You will need to fill in the early assessment and do a full return on this years tax forms but cross out the year i.e. cross out 2009 and put in 2010...that should be it...got mine a few weeks later into the bank :)

As for Super - get onto your fund and get a DASP form for the fund from them. You will need to get your immigration status certified...this can be done online via the ato website (which is bloody useless) but you still need to form for your super fund...if you want it quicker, get your passport certified and fill in the immigration form and send off to Hobart with your DASP form for your fund...(costs about 50 bucks) - I think you only need to do this if you have over 5K in your super so check it out...you will get full details off your fund website anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 48 paidi09

Actually does anybody know what percentage of a tax refund you are entitled to when you leave the country after a whv. I've heard very varying amounts. Also, should you claim back all the tax at the end when you leave or should you do it at the end of the financial year here?

Advertisement