Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fire Doors / Third Storey Fire Regulations

• 31-03-2010 9:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭

I'm building my own house at the moment and it's a two storey. When the attic was build though there was a lot of space up there and it was a shame to waste it. The plan was to close it up and access via a Stira but now the option of building a stairs is there for me. This would mean having a third storey.

The problem with this is that every door off the two sets of stairs would need to be fire doors. We're looking to get white doors throughout but as they need to be fire doors it looks at the moment like we're going to end up going 10k over budget (doors & extra stairs).

Does anyone know of somewhere to get them a bit cheaper or failing that a way around HAVING to install fire doors? Appreciate any help.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,523 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Moved from Accommodation & Property

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,671 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Have to be fire doors i'm afraid

• Subscribers Posts: 41,942 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

The actual regulation simply states
    "A building shall be so designed and constructed that there are adequate means of escape in case of fire from the building to a place of safety outside the building, capable of being safely and effectively used."

How you comply with this regulation is open to interpretation.

Installing fire doors as per TGD B is a 'de facto' means of complying to the regulations. Any other method you propose would need to be assessed and allowed by your local building control officer. It may be possible to comply with the regulation by use of a sprinkler system, but i couldnt see this being cheaper than using fire doors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Wally Runs

Not in the trade but we had to refurbish a two story to three story and put in fire doors through out. They came in as cheap if not cheaper that regular doors (plus a lot less choice, which is a good thing when you have so many decisions to make).

We just got the plain unpainted doors (~€50 each) , had them primed and painted (no idea the cost). The self closers were € 8 each and strips an extra € 10. As pre hung doors-sets the final price was €120 + vat each including locks. The wooden pre-finished doors, oak, ash etc were around €100 per door.

Spend the money on the handles, (eurospec) balmers.ie or others. A quality handle can make all the difference.

Advertisement