Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best 2010 MTB €400 - €600

• 31-03-2010 9:09am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 706 ✭✭✭

Looking at getting a new MTB and I will be buying from a LBS in Dublin. I'm not familiar with MTB equipment such as forks and front/rear mechs so was hoping to get a bit of advice here. The only bike i've looked at properly is the Specialized Hardrock Comp so I would like to know about the recommended alternatives.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

Drop out to the Cycle Superstore and see what they have in that price range from Lapierre, Cube or Giant. There's usually very little to separate bikes from major brands around the same price point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Also maybe consider going second hand at that price range [plug plug].

Really though, it's hard to find a decent fork on a 400 euro bike, and even 600 you might not find something with enough travel or suitable only for potholes around town.

Disc brakes are another issue, although I used rim brakes on a friend's mountain bike when I was starting out and since my speeds were so low I didn't find I needed the extra power of discs. It might be worth sacrificing them for better components elsewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    Also maybe consider going second hand at that price range [plug plug].

+1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 608 ✭✭✭mockler007

save more, buy more.
    if your not planning on doing a world cup event in the next while, keep saving and get a good bike, its an investment yeh,
    reasons a bike is best

1. keeping fit and toned
    2. Trashing it over trails
    3. Going to the shops
    4. going to the pub, comming home from the pubsh
    5. Commuter races

dont hold back on price, go for a good well worth buying bike,
    saves you upgrading. I got a kona dawg delux from c-logical
    and im glad i didnt get a run of the mill bike, it was worth saving for man

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 706 ✭✭✭ray o

Thanks for the replies lads, I have a Specialized Singlescross for commuting, a Giant OCR2 for weekend spins and an old Ideal MTB for the bits in between. If I started replacing the old worn bits on the Ideal i've no doubt i'd be looking at a couple of hundred so thats why I decided to look at getting a new one. If I was to up the budget but still stay below 1k what would be recommended?

• Advertisement
Advertisement