Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What exactly does bark do to the soil

Options
  • 31-03-2010 10:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,845 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I was thinking of getting bark for my border in the back garden but I was wondering does it actaully improve the soil or it is it more for decorative means?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Yi Harr

It can help stop weed growth and weed seed germination. It can also help soil retain moisture. I'm sure over time (as the bark decomposes) it will return minerals etc to the soil also.

In order for it to supress weed growth and weed seed germination you'll have to enure a minimum depth is applied (possibly around 3inches?? You'd have to check)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

Aralur Bark is maritime pine bark (Pinus Pinaster), sifted and separated into different gradings and is ideal for decorative use in gardens.

As well as its aesthetic effect, a layer of bark has positive effects on the roots of trees and bushes, helps maintain humidity and a suitable temperature, it has a herbicide effect by providing shade and, over time, provides nutrients due to the decomposition of the bark.

As well as a decorative use, the 10/15 and 15/25 mm grade barks have a use providing structure for peats and other substrates favouring aeration when necessary. Lastly, it is worth mentioning that in recent years there has been an increase in demand for the bark for its use as an air biofilter.

From a personal perspective if there is slope on the area you plan on putting down the bark bad weather can lead to it either blowing onto your grass/ground. Bark is also handy for keeping the weeds at bay

racso1975 wrote: »
    Aralur Bark is maritime pine bark (Pinus Pinaster), sifted and separated into different gradings and is ideal for decorative use in gardens.

As well as its aesthetic effect, a layer of bark has positive effects on the roots of trees and bushes, helps maintain humidity and a suitable temperature, it has a herbicide effect by providing shade and, over time, provides nutrients due to the decomposition of the bark.

As well as a decorative use, the 10/15 and 15/25 mm grade barks have a use providing structure for peats and other substrates favouring aeration when necessary. Lastly, it is worth mentioning that in recent years there has been an increase in demand for the bark for its use as an air biofilter.

From a personal perspective if there is slope on the area you plan on putting down the bark bad weather can lead to it either blowing onto your grass/ground. Bark is also handy for keeping the weeds at bay

http://www.aralur.com/Turbas_Substratos/Substrato_Vegetal_Fertilizado_CortezaI.htm ??????

Generally in Ireland most bark mulch is obtained from wood mills as a by product of debarking of logs. The bark you'll most often get in Ireland is more then likely going to be Lodgepole pine, Scots pine and possibly some spruces and fir species.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

From a professional point of view I hate it. It rots, blows everywhere, washes away & then you end up with membrane showing. I do a lot of weeding every week & nothing is better than weeding actual soil with a fortnightly hoe using a Wolf push pull speed weeder.

It is even worse on bare soil as once the weeds start growing through, which they will, then it makes weeding a nightmare as you have to pull the weeds up individually.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I use bark around the bases of the hedges at either side of my house, I like the look of it I never have problems with it washing away but birds love it!

Each time I brush it back in off the drive way within 1-2 days birds kick/pick it all back out again because they love looking for worms underneath it, the only do this on one side of my driveway

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,497 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Discodog wrote: »
    From a professional point of view I hate it. It rots, blows everywhere, washes away & then you end up with membrane showing.
    i don't use membrane under bark. the bark just rots down and provides a growing medium, and you're back to square one.

i do recall reading that bark uses up nitrogen as it rots, so can actually retard growth to a certain extent for shallow rooting plants.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,685 ✭✭✭flutered

does it not turn acidic ?

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭Nonmonotonic

Yi Harr, if its from Irish forests its most likely Sitka Spruce since thats about all that is planted.

Yi Harr, if its from Irish forests its most likely Sitka Spruce since thats about all that is planted.

Not exactly, since the 90's there has been less and less sitka planted in Ireland. The tendency is to plant diverse mixtures of conifers and broadleaves. Thats where the money is.

Also, sitka is a fairly thinned bark tree so people selling chips are more likely to go with the bulkier barked trees, such as the pines

Advertisement