Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ASP.NET Localization

Options
  • 31-03-2010 10:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭

Hello All,

I am in the process of Localizing our ASP.NET web application. For a start we will only localize to Chinese but more are likely to follow.

I have the code part more or less sussed-
    Setting the Thread.CurrentThread.CurrentUICulture and Thread.CurrentThread.CurrentCulture,
    Creating Global/Local resource files,
    etc.

My problem lies with the database. For a start I have ensured that all our fields are unicode- nvarchar, nchar, etc.
    But, from reading around I saw that the collation needs to be correct for ordering.

Our database uses the 'Latin1_General_CI_AS' collation. Now, I presume that this won't order Chinese characters in the same way.

I have done numerous searches and found nothing to fix this problem from SQL. But I found that you can order according to culture with LINQ ( http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1846215/how-do-i-get-linq-to-order-according-to-culture )
    	var result = fruits.OrderBy(f => f, StringComparer.CurrentCulture);

Will this alone fill my needs or have I missed something regarding collations?

Comments

Advertisement