Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Commissioning a piece?

Options
  • 31-03-2010 10:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭

Hi,

First time poster in this forum. Apologies for any newbie mistakes.

I want to make (or rather, 'have made') a custom 'snapdeck' for my new bicycle project. A snapdeck is a piece of wood shaped a bit like a skateboard with dimensions of 35" L X 9" W X 3/4" H (tapered at the back). It's designed to fit on an xtracycle (www.xtracycle.com)

I was looking at: http://www.brandnameboards.com/Boards_In_Stock.html for some ideas (I like the Poppy one), though I suspect the price of shipping from the states would be prohibitive.

There's a video of how to do it at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVKwFNAsTIA&feature=player_embedded . The snapdeck clips on to the bike with special clips that I can buy separately.

So, does anyone have any thoughts on how I could go about getting one of these commissioned?

Regards,

DualFrontDiscs

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭galwaydude18

What do you do with this board once it is on your bicycle?

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭DualFrontDiscs

What do you do with this board once it is on your bicycle?
    Good question. Simply put, 'carry things', or people for that matter. http://www.flickr.com/photos/81325557@N00/2188185866/in/set-72157603701083803/

DFD.

So how excatly do you attach it to the bike?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

From the video they seem basic enough to make! He was only using pine board! (I would have thought a ply or hardwood board would have stood up to more hardship and weather).

Where abouts are you based? Sure if you're stuck gimme a shout!

So how excatly do you attach it to the bike?
    The xtracycle company sells spare 'snap hooks' for just this purpose.

http://www.xtracycle.com/snaphook.html

DFD.

• Advertisement

From the video they seem basic enough to make! He was only using pine board! (I would have thought a ply or hardwood board would have stood up to more hardship and weather).

The video does look simple enough, if you know what you're doing and have the tools. I don't know what I'm doing and I don't have the tools!

The xtracycle snapdecks are made from birch or maple plywood. I assume this is a weight/ longevity decision. I was considering using the same. Would that affect my ability to have a 'routed' design on the board?
    Where abouts are you based? Sure if you're stuck gimme a shout!

I'm in Dublin. If you're interested in a 'challenge' then maybe you're the guy to talk to!

DFD.

The video does look simple enough, if you know what you're doing and have the tools. I don't know what I'm doing and I don't have the tools!

The xtracycle snapdecks are made from birch or maple plywood. I assume this is a weight/ longevity decision. I was considering using the same. Would that affect my ability to have a 'routed' design on the board?

I'm in Dublin. If you're interested in a 'challenge' then maybe you're the guy to talk to!

DFD.

Birch or maple ply sounds a better suited material in my opinion. It can be routed, providing its a good sharp cutter and using the right speed, but it should give a cleaner, crisper cut then the pine board.

Like I say, I can do it if you're stuck, wouldnt be a problem!

Like I say, I can do it if you're stuck, wouldnt be a problem!
    PM sent.

DFD.

Replied, cheers!

Got this one done and delivered to DFD, he's gonna add the attachments himself and fit it. Just thought I'd throw up a few pics :)

30312_395864912625_188150137625_3885384_2797559_n.jpg

30312_395864922625_188150137625_3885385_3709239_n.jpg

• Advertisement

Nice one! Did you rout the design into the top of the board and then paint it in?

Nice one! Did you rout the design into the top of the board and then paint it in?

Cheers GD ;) Yeah the design was routed in, only a few mill' deep and then painted.

Did ya free hand the design with the router! Good man if you did! Is that maple plywood that you used?

Free hand, yep, with my little 'baby' Power Devil 500w router :o. Looks just like the one below, but red and black instead.

43671155ba9746f7ac7403a69daef844.jpg

Its Birch ply.

Good stuff!!! Ya I was thinking it was birch ply but wasn't totaly sure myself. Did you ever use that Trend router? It's a nice little router to use.

So here's the bike with CroppyBoy's work attached.

I'm really happy :)

DFD.

114202.jpg
    114203.jpg
    114204.jpg

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

So here's the bike with CroppyBoy's work attached.

I'm really happy :)

DFD.

114202.jpg
    114203.jpg
    114204.jpg

Looks great, well done lads:)

kadman

That looks well nice on your bike! Well done lads.

Good stuff! Cheers for the good pics DFD, hope it serves you well! :)

Advertisement