Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Life in Balrothery, north county Dublin

Options
  • 31-03-2010 11:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Me and my husband are looking at buying a place in Balrothery and are just wondering if anyone who lives there could fill us in on what the village is like. Are the public transport links good? Is there a good sense of community? It seems like a lovely place.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12 countrychick

Its balrothery in north county dublin before i cause confusion.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭shoegirl

Its on the old main road, so you can probably catch the 33 bus. I say that guardedly because its more than 10 years since I've lived in Fingal, and the routing might have changed (doubt it though).

Thanks for that info. It seems you would definetly need a car though to live there.Any more info about the area would be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

It all depends on budget and what exactly you want. balrothery is small with very little in (maybe thats what you want maybe its not). you will have to travel to balbriggan for a lot of things - supermarket, train station etc etc.

maybe ask yourself why you want to live in balrothery and why your looking there if you know nothing about it?

you need to give more info as to what you want, your rough budget etc so maybe people can offer alternatives.

I dont live there and did live in balbriggan which i wasnt mad on. balrothery is peaceful and more senic but also futher out and not on the train line.

• Advertisement

Peaceful and scenic is something we are looking for, budget is a factor (we are hoping to get something through the affordable housing scheme).

Other factors were considering are moving somewhere we'd want to bring up kids (although we dont have any yet) also been within commuting distance from dublin.
    Probably sums up what a lot of people are looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

you have to ask yourself why balrothery - why not balbriggan, rush, lusk or skerries. what has it got that you want?

and if you want kids, schools are going to be important. As a former member of balbriggan community college i wouldnt be sending my kids there esp now the classes are 'more diverse' (putting it nicely) and they would have to get a bus to swords.

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭Unshelved

On the doorstep of Balbriggan but locals consider it a quite separate village. You would have to walk into Balbriggan (about 20 minutes) to get the 33 bus (about 1hr 20 minutes to Dublin), or it's about 25-30 minutes walk for the train (about 45-50 minutes to city centre). However, I think the Bus Eireann express bus goes through Balrothery. There are a couple of nice pubs and a national school. It's a good hike to the beach. No shops except for convenience shops, but as I said, Balbriggan is on your doorstep for supermarkets.

A car really would be essential. It's a quiet country village - with little in the way of amenities. If that's what you're looking for then it's for you!

We are looking for somewhere quiet and peaceful, I grew up on a farm three miles from the nearest town so know what rural life is like. We have a car so feel that will give us the freedom we need. Why Balrothery? Why not?? We will view a house there this week and will have a better idea then whether its the right place for us.
    Thanks for the comments, it helps shed some light on things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 GlitterFairy

It's a nice area and certainly has a more village/rural feel to it than balbriggan or some of the other towns around. There's a primary school, lovely local pub, and good bus service (bus eireann 101) but you would definetly need a car.

You could ask in the dublin north county forum if you'd like more specific details.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

I dont live there but worked in balbriggan for a year got to know the place well. Its quite compared to balbriggan. It also lacks some of the services balbriggan does. It has a good bus service and is on the old n1 so between all the quite and good transport it gets a plus from me.

One of the biggest tesco;s is planned for the new shopping centre so you will be in a good place.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

kennyb3 wrote: »
    As a former member of balbriggan community college i wouldnt be sending my kids there esp now the classes are 'more diverse' (putting it nicely)
    I'd love you to expand on this comment further.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Bluetonic wrote: »
    I'd love you to expand on this comment further.

Its obvious to anyone who lived in balbriggan but these people are talking of balrothery and the times are a changing in schools.

Thanks for the advise , not sure whats meant by the comments on diversity but I am not adverse to diversity in people, we can learn alot from each other if we keep an open mind.
    Hope everyone is having a good easter, thanks again!!

Its obvious to anyone who lived in balbriggan but these people are talking of balrothery and the times are a changing in schools.
    Maybe instead of presuming it's obvious it would be better to expand on the comment.

Well great news for us we saw the house and love it . Sending in our deposit and looks like we will be making the big move to Balrothery!! My next post will no doubt be asking for advice on kitchen appliances, bring on your suggestions , experiences and advice!!

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭RIRI

Good for you OP! Best of luck

Well great news for us we saw the house and love it . Sending in our deposit and looks like we will be making the big move to Balrothery!! My next post will no doubt be asking for advice on kitchen appliances, bring on your suggestions , experiences and advice!!
    Well done and best of luck.

Here's the local http://www.dublinpubs.ie/pub.asp?id=33

Advertisement