Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Approximate cost of building your own house?

Options
  • 31-03-2010 11:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 34

Hi everyone

This is probably one of those very difficult questions to answer, but was wondering would anyone have an idea of what type of money you are looking at to build your own home?
    floor space 1,220 square feet, 3 bedroom detached. No elaborate architecture etc, just a standard house design, with all the essentials (wiring, plumbing, insulation etc etc)...any ideas at all?

thanks everyone..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

• Registered Users Posts: 78,375 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Moved from Accommodation & Property.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,038 ✭✭✭✭muffler

activegal wrote: »
    Hi everyone

This is probably one of those very difficult questions to answer, but was wondering would anyone have an idea of what type of money you are looking at to build your own home?
    floor space 1,220 square feet, 3 bedroom detached. No elaborate architecture etc, just a standard house design, with all the essentials (wiring, plumbing, insulation etc etc)...any ideas at all?

thanks everyone..
    Is it single, 1.5 or 2 storied?
    Will you be building it under full contract or direct labour?
    What part of the country is it in?

The above points will have a significant impact on the cost.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 sc1

Im in a similar situation and Im wondering if the price quoted includes tiles and pain work and bathroom fittings/fitted kitchens etc or jst the bare plain walls???!!!So stressful......... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

sc1 wrote: »
    Im in a similar situation and Im wondering if the price quoted includes tiles and pain work and bathroom fittings/fitted kitchens etc or jst the bare plain walls???!!!So stressful......... :(

No reason to be stressed. A builder will quote for as much, or as little, as you want him to do.

He won't quote for items you don't ask for, generally. For guidance, they may give an 'allowance' for the likes of bathrooms/kitchens etc. In other words, they may say they have an allowance of €5000 for kitchens. This means they have included €5000 in the quoted price for your kitchen. If, however, you fall in love with a €15000 one in a kitchen shop - you will have to find the extra €10,000. The reverse is also true: if you are happy with a €3500 kitchen, you will get a €1500 refund from teh quoted price.

This is true for several things - the idea being to give a reasonable, but complete-house figure.

Some people don't want builder's doing their paint/tiles/etc so that's why it's always a moveable feast.

Easiest thing is to sit down, and make a list.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement

Thanks..its very bloody stressful....and then theres direct labour or contractor.....all the men think direct labour is best but to be honest i wouldnt have a clue n think it would be a million times easier for me to just simply hire a contractor who will do it all???!!!thanks for the info thou :)

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭braftery

sc1,

It is probably stressful because it is all new !

Self-building is at the very least a part-time job and requires constant input (daily) for the entire prep and build period)

Why not start by getting prices from contractors and take things from there.

galwaytt is right, sit down and make a list.

You probably have a good idea of what you want the finished house to look like, in terms of floors, walls, kitchens, bathrooms, etc.

These finishing details have a big impact on the overall price.

Get the plans out to a few builders and get them to price it up.

Then you go out and get some prices for floors, kitchens, etc.

Then get the builders to go through the prices with you when you get them back, so you understand them and you know where the price for what is on the quote !
    Doing this will also let you see if you are able to communicate well with your builder which is going to be critical during the build.

when you get the builders prices back you can compare what they are allowing and what you got .. this will allow you to add the difference in prices to the overall house package if your expectations are higher than the builders.

Most of all .. dont be in a rush !

Thanks Brafery........

Im on it!! :D i got in contact wit a few builders n emailed n posted out some plans to get some quotes.....hopefully now with the state of the country the prices might be in my favour!!!!

Advertisement