Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fatboy Flyer

Options
  • 31-03-2010 11:48am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 32

Hello all,

I'm looking to progress from my minimal onto something in the intermediate stakes, but am definitely nowhere near shortboard level. I was in a surf shop recently and the guy recommended a 7'4" fatboy flyer that they had - I must admit, moving on to a pointed-nose board but still with decent volume was very tempting. The brand of the board was Cortez.

My current surfing level is catching unbroken waves, but not really executing any flashy turns as of yet. The fatboy looks like a very nice midway board between a minimal and a pointed shortboard, and seems like it might be easier to duck-dive which also makes it very attractive. I'm 6'2", 14.5 stone so a bit of volume would also be handy.

What are your thoughts on the Fatboy Flyer? Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭kodute

Edmc wrote: »
    Hello all,

I'm looking to progress from my minimal onto something in the intermediate stakes, but am definitely nowhere near shortboard level. I was in a surf shop recently and the guy recommended a 7'4" fatboy flyer that they had - I must admit, moving on to a pointed-nose board but still with decent volume was very tempting. The brand of the board was Cortez.

My current surfing level is catching unbroken waves, but not really executing any flashy turns as of yet. The fatboy looks like a very nice midway board between a minimal and a pointed shortboard, and seems like it might be easier to duck-dive which also makes it very attractive. I'm 6'2", 14.5 stone so a bit of volume would also be handy.

What are your thoughts on the Fatboy Flyer? Cheers.

What kind of minimal do you have?
    Can you do any turns/cutbacks/wide arcs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Edmc

Hi Kodute,

At the moment it's a 7'10" Bic minimal (here comes the abuse ;)). I can just do the basic turning on the wave, and pretty narrow at that. I used to surf a fiberglass Ben Aipa but had to sell that a while back. I may well be overreaching going for the Fatboy, but while it might be a challenging step for me I got the impression it was doable. Some of the fatboy flyers advertised online are stated as being suitable for a wide range of surfers, including beginners, so it seemed like a good all-round surfboard for me as I'm a bit beyond total beginner stage now.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭kodute

If you feel that the board is holding you back from executing certain manoeuvres then its time to move.

I've no experience with the board your talking about but the length difference (in theory) should be manageable. Compare the other dimensions too.

If I were in your position I'd borrow a mates smaller board (if they have one) to see how a drop in size will affect your surfing. Being able to rent different sized boards on holidays helped me choose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Edmc

Cheers man, sounds like a good plan

Advertisement