Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Instrument modification & repair subforum?

• 31-03-2010 12:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 947 ✭✭✭

Like the forums under tech for building & upgrading computers and under games for console modding, would there be support for a subforum of the instruments forum for instrument modification & repair.

I'm only getting started on how to solder (and more importantly desolder!) and just removed a broken tone pot from my squier strat that has been neglected for about a year and a half.

What do people think?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

I'd love to talk about that stuff. If it was active, I think it'd be a very interesting forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 947 ✭✭✭fobster

That's the important part, the level of activity of any new forum, if anybody has long-term projects they can put up logs of said projects detailing their progress, people give their input etc.

I know with my squier strat which I'm looking at gutting the entire electrics and start from scratch, put in copper shielding as detailed here and other bits and pieces. First I have to get better at soldering and understand what I'm actually doing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 983 ✭✭✭CiaranK

I would too be interested in a sub-forum like that. I don't know much about it so people can share tips etc and guide us looking to modify our instruments.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 880 ✭✭✭Paolo_M

I'm in the middle of building a two channel, high gain, 50 Watt valve amp that I designed myself. It's got an FX Loop and a bunch of other cool features.

I could post that and some other stuff if people were interested in seeing it.
    I've posted stuff and there were some people that were interested.
    A seperate forum might be a cool idea if, as you say, there is the initerest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

I asked for the very same thign when i was building my strat as i wanted to log my work and the idea got shot down! I still to this day dont understand why!! Its a great idea! And its hardly taking up internet space!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 79 ✭✭FruscianteFan

This is a really good idea. I build guitars and I post my builds on tdpri.com/forum, Its a really good guitar site if anyone is interested. Its not all teles too, There is a guy on it that builds exact replicas of vintage guitars. And when I say exact I really mean EXACT, he makes his parts so they have the same tooling marks as the original and everything, puts Fender/Gibson and any others replicas to shame. Anyone interested should check it out!
    But if there was a sub forum here I would post anything I do for people to see. I would love to see amp builds too, so Paolo M post yours! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I'd support it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

Sounds like a good idea.

I do a fair bit of mods on my own instruments. I post them up elsewhere usually but not really here. It'd kinda sit out of place amongst the newbies asking for recommendations for their first guitar... and then ignoring the advice

fobster, it might be a good idea to PM feylya and Malice_ to direct them towards this thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

Dord wrote: »
    Sounds like a good idea.

I do a fair bit of mods on my own instruments. I post them up elsewhere usually but not really here. It'd kinda sit out of place amongst the newbies asking for recommendations for their first guitar... and then ignoring the advice

fobster, it might be a good idea to PM feylya and Malice_ to direct them towards this thread.

Shame on you dord! ;)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055273369

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

king-stew wrote: »

Times change... :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭eoin5

I'd be up for this, doin the Jimmy Page wiring on my epi les paul at the minute, 4 push pull pots, great fun :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Demeyes

I don't know, the instruments forum isn't crazy busy. I think there is probably room enough to have this stuff in the main page instead of put into it's own sub-forum.

What Paolo_M was describing is exactly the kind of stuff the forum would be looking for.

@King-stew: it looks your previous idea was too focussed on logs of custom builds which fair enough the proposed forum will cater for but it will take in repair and modding of current instruments and other associated equipment, both small and large-scale.

I'll let the mods know of the proposal
    Demeyes wrote: »
    I don't know, the instruments forum isn't crazy busy. I think there is probably room enough to have this stuff in the main page instead of put into it's own sub-forum.

Maybe so but discussing what components to put in your custom effects pedal and whether to use lead-free solder or stick with leaded solder when making said pedal is really possible in the instrument forum.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Personally, I wouldn't be in favour of another sub-forum. There isn't a huge amount of traffic hitting this forum as it is - splitting it further would make it look dead.

Instead, how about tags on the threads like they have on Bargain Alerts. Modification, Electronics, Purchasing and so on to tag the threads?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

feylya wrote: »
    Personally, I wouldn't be in favour of another sub-forum. There isn't a huge amount of traffic hitting this forum as it is - splitting it further would make it look dead.

Instead, how about tags on the threads like they have on Bargain Alerts. Modification, Electronics, Purchasing and so on to tag the threads?

Very true, that did cross my mind alright. This forum gets quiet enough as is, without splitting it up further. Good idea with the tags though.

Current traffic in the main forum isn't hectic very true, the existing sub-forum is even slower. I'd be all for adjusting the current forum with tags instead of adding another sub-forum don't want to end up like the Adverts drop-down!

All in favour of tags say aye!

Aye!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

I agree with feylya. As there isn't a lot of traffic on the main Instruments forum there's nothing stopping anyone posting up their modding threads. Obviously if it got to the stage that modding and repair topics were dominating the forum then a sub-forum might be justified but I don't think it's a good idea right now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭darrenw5094

Demeyes wrote: »

This instruments forum is at an all time low. The 'big boys' that posted on here over the last year has vanished.

Where the hell is everyone???????????????????????????????????????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

This instruments forum is at an all time low. The 'big boys' that posted on here over the last year has vanished.

Where the hell is everyone???????????????????????????????????????
    I for one am flat broke. I had some savings which were earmarked for new gear but then my bastard car died and had to be replaced so bang went my savings :mad:. I'm hoping to scrape together some cash for some new gear over the next couple of months though.

Advertisement