Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Manor Estate(Greenhills/Perrystown address changes)

Options
  • 31-03-2010 12:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭

Is anyone else aware of the local commitees in the area of Greenhills/Perrystown/Templeogue trying to change the postal address for these areas to manor esate, terenure? Who and what right have they got to change the address of people living in these area?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 932 ✭✭✭paddyland

Recession or no recession, snobbery is alive and well!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Ziycon

paddyland wrote: »
    Recession or no recession, snobbery is alive and well!
    I think my message may have come across wrong there. I'm giving out because no one ever asked locals including myself, they just decided to change the address.

I wouldn't mind if someone had said something about it but finding out by seeing the rocks on the sides of the road with the new area names is a bit crappy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 932 ✭✭✭paddyland

Sorry, was referring to people who can't afford to live in Terenure proper, but don't want Greenhills as their address. Same thing happened in Ronanstown/Lucan before. People really should get over this deckland snobbery, it makes them look like an ass.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Doop

Eh didn't this happen like 20 years ago
    Dublin 12 -> Dublin 6W

They cant just change names to Terenure, Terenure would be stupidly large then, are you sure this is happening?

Doop wrote: »
    Eh didn't this happen like 20 years ago
    Dublin 12 -> Dublin 6W

They cant just change names to Terenure, Terenure would be stupidly large then, are you sure this is happening?
    Well the have etched some of the stones on the street corners with manor estate, terenure already.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Its not really happening in Templeogue (it already did years ago as mentioned above). Its the area around perrystown and manor estate particularly that some people there have always referred to it as terenure. I know a few people around there and always found it hilarious. Their argument is that it was part of Terenure about 100 years ago (I'm guessing back in the days of townships and that era). It not really valid as the place was just farmland then.

To me anyway it is not Terenure, it is Perrystown or Greenhills. I think the main problem with this area is that there is no focal point in terms of a village as it is nearly all housing estates and green areas with small retail areas. Without a focal area to give it a name it has latched onto another. Its D12 for postcodes whereas the areas most people would regard as Terenure is nearly all Dublin 6.

I noticed one of those stones on St. Peters Road saying 'Manor Estate, Terenure'. Thats not even in the same county council area as Terenure!

Its not really happening in Templeogue (it already did years ago as mentioned above). Its the area around perrystown and manor estate particularly that some people there have always referred to it as terenure. I know a few people around there and always found it hilarious. Their argument is that it was part of Terenure about 100 years ago (I'm guessing back in the days of townships and that era). It not really valid as the place was just farmland then.

To me anyway it is not Terenure, it is Perrystown or Greenhills. I think the main problem with this area is that there is no focal point in terms of a village as it is nearly all housing estates and green areas with small retail areas. Without a focal area to give it a name it has latched onto another. Its D12 for postcodes whereas the areas most people would regard as Terenure is nearly all Dublin 6.

I noticed one of those stones on St. Peters Road saying 'Manor Estate, Terenure'. Thats not even in the same county council area as Terenure!
    It is also happening in some parts or Templeogue, my address being one of them that is trying to be changed to Terenure. My point is ultimately, who has the authority to just go and make changes where they please without notify the residents!?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Sent you a pm Ziycon. I presume placenames are given by the county council so let your local councillor know. Its ridiculous really in an old area such as Templeogue or Greenhills to try and get area name changes. Is it your local residents association that is trying to rename it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 1979

i understand the postal area was changed some 20 years ago replacing dublin 6 with dublin 12 and a large part of the area has been in somewhat of a vacuum in terms of location.

the reason why the council put the rocks with manor estate, terenure in place now is to clarify that this IS terenure rather than perrystown, walkinstown, greenhills or templeogue and has always been terenure.

whitehall road is the perfect example of terenure, d12

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Doop

1979 wrote: »
    i understand the postal area was changed some 20 years ago replacing dublin 6 with dublin 12 and a large part of the area has been in somewhat of a vacuum in terms of location.

erm... kinda the wrong way around there, speaking in terms of Templeogue
    it went FROM Dublin 12 to Dublin 6W

Is the "Manor Estate" Temple Manor Grove? because theres no way thats Terenure.

Whereas if its Manor Grove (Priory way, hall, etc, off whitehall Road) that I would consider that terenure. One side Terenure the other kimmage (shelton side)

Tis all a load of BS if you ask me, snoby people thinkin their better off with a terenure address than what it really is.

Next it'll be..

something road
    Terenure
    Dublin 24

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,968 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Its ridiculous. Snobbery is right. Its also like Temple Manor Estate, slap bang in the middle of Dublin 12 and its listed as 6W :confused:
    Theres also a stone after appearing at the end of Limekiln Road showing "Manor Estate. Bit out of place.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Dunne.Drift

Its rediclous, because i do deliverys & i live in templeogue.

If i wasnt from templeogue & i was given a delivery for greentrees road in 'Ternure' id first head for ternure village & not for greenhills area where the road actually is! This is not the first time iv encountered it but calling a area a name that the village is actually quiet a far enough distance away is rediclous..

Thats just my view, i dont know how they can call it ternure, expecially when kimmage (i guess whitehall road is kimmage?) is separating / in the middle the KCR & templeogue from greenhills / greentrees road ?

maby i need to look into it more detailed but from my memory & guess its stupidly rediclous..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭LittleBook

Is this a new thing? I pass through the area very often and never noticed it (the "Manor Estate" stone) before and someone just brought it up in "Ranting & Raving". Where exactly is it?

And I wonder is there an SDCC district map or something? I grew up in Greenhills and then moved to Perrystown but now I don't know where I live!!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 MLESDOW

Ziycon wrote: »
    Is anyone else aware of the local commitees in the area of Greenhills/Perrystown/Templeogue trying to change the postal address for these areas to manor esate, terenure? Who and what right have they got to change the address of people living in these area?

For those who think the people in Manor Estate just changed their address to terenure dublin 12, think again. Manor Estate is in the district of Terenure and for clarity check with An Post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 MLESDOW

paddyland wrote: »
    Sorry, was referring to people who can't afford to live in Terenure proper, but don't want Greenhills as their address. Same thing happened in Ronanstown/Lucan before. People really should get over this deckland snobbery, it makes them look like an ass.

I come from Walkinstown and know the area extremely well, i think the people of terenure are in a world of their own snobbery

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Southeast Gravecare Services

I think the new name of Terenure is good. My relations live there and are delighted with the new name of the neighbourhood, no problems at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

I think the new name of Terenure is good. My relations live there and are delighted with the new name of the neighbourhood, no problems at all.

Terenure had an old name :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Tiptopdel

Trust me, no one in Greenhills wants to be thought of as being from Templeogue

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

Tiptopdel wrote: »
    Trust me, no one in Greenhills wants to be thought of as being from Templeogue

Same. Noone from Templeogue wants to be thought of as being from Greenhills

• Registered Users Posts: 29 shadydivott

i live in templeogue but would love to live in emmmmmmm aylesbury rd d4........ok ill just put a sign on my rd saying thats where my house now is and thats it presto now i live there......i notice none of the rocks have any emblem or marking to identify them having being erected by city or county councils. did they require planning permission. if so what address was on the application......and who paid for the rocks....i suspect the local residents, who would be better off saving their money and moving to terenure

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

Well im going to totally say loike ever since Charles O' Carroll-Kelly lost all the money after the court case i believe the had to totally sell the house in Foxrock Loike.

Its highly possible that Charles had to buy Finnoula a house out there with the remaining money and she is likely to be running a campaign to have the area's postcode changed.

Similar to the campaing which was almost successful to have funderland moved over to the north side and have the dart separated to north and south at Tara St with ID requirement to move between zones.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 littlefix

I am not a snob. I was born in Greenhills but have been living in Manor Estate TERENURE for 30 years. When the house was bought the address was Manor Estate Terenure and always has been for much longer. The reason being that there used to be a large estate there and it was in Terenure. This was before Perrystown etc even existed as it was still farm land. It just stayed Terenure while everywhere was built up around it. I was always sick of people telling me that I was living in Perrystown when i clearly wasnt but now im glad that they have put up the rocks to show its correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭wilkins

My mam and dad have been living there for 50 +years and when they bought the gaff it was manor estate, terenure. This was before most of perrystown and all of greenhills was built. It was farmland in the townland of terenure. Most of the estates we asdociate with templeougue were nit even built yet.
    It actaully irritates me that Manor Estste has been forgotten in favour of Perrystown. The nane Manor Estate comes from Whitehall Manor that used to be on Whitehall Road- roughly where the pines pub is now. It was there BEFORE perrystown. The football club is called Manortown United. The community centre used to be knoen as perrystown manor estate but i think it has been shortened.
    Whitehall road has ALWAYS been in thr townland of terenure. With slot of older houses and the older cottages that were used for the workers of whitehall manor house.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭IrlJidel

wilkins wrote: »
    My mam and dad have been living there for 50 +years and when they bought the gaff it was manor estate, terenure. This was before most of perrystown and all of greenhills was built. It was farmland in the townland of terenure.
    It actaully irritates me that Manor Estste has been forgotten in favour of Perrystown. The nane Manor Estate comes from Whitehall Manor that used to be on Whitehall Road- roughly where the pines pub is now. It was there BEFORE perrystown.

When your parents were given/used the address 'Manor Estate, Terenure' - Terenure was the posttown, not the geographic boundary it is in.

I think you need to look at an old map, particularily when you make references to townlands as they have defined legal boundaries.

Manor Estate/Whitehall Manor in the townland of Whitehall (Crumlin Civil Parish), which was in Terenure ED and was never an exclave of Terenure townland.
    Perrystown was a townland, and so has been around as long as Whitehall/Terenure.
    wilkins wrote: »
    Whitehall road has ALWAYS been in thr townland of terenure. With slot of older houses and the older cottages that were used for the workers of whitehall manor house.

Nope - Whitehall road goes through the townlands of Whitehall, Perrystown and Kimmage.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,820 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

I used to live on Whitehall Rd and it was a bit of a joke with the post. Letters addressed with Terenure, Kimmage, Templeogue, Perrystown even Crumlin on them!!

Advertisement