Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

bird world

Options
  • 31-03-2010 12:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

can any1 tell me if bird world in portlaoise has any native hardbills r softbills in stock!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Please pardon my ignorance, but what are Native Hardbills and Native Softbills?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭MaeveD

Srameen, I think a hardbill can eat hard food ie seeds and a softbill can't.... native is from Ireland and I'm pretty sure selling native birds is not legal.

This being viper75's 1st post, I'd say they don't like that pet shop!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 viper75

a hardbill is a bird that eats seed like bullfinches, goldfinches, greenfinches and a softbill is a bird that eats insects, fruit and berrys, blackbirds, thrushes r only 2 of these birds..!! and u r aloud 2 keep them as long as u hav the correct paperwork..!! I only heard about ths petshop through this forum so i've never been 2 it.

viper75 wrote: »
    a hardbill is a bird that eats seed like bullfinches, goldfinches, greenfinches and a softbill is a bird that eats insects, fruit and berrys, blackbirds, thrushes r only 2 of these birds..!! and u r aloud 2 keep them as long as u hav the correct paperwork..!! I only heard about ths petshop through this forum so i've never been 2 it.

Thanks for that. I have been a birder for 50 years and work full time in a wildlife protection role but have never heard those terms used before.

As regards being allowed to keep caged Native birds, all such birds must be captive bred and close ringed in addition to other factors I'll not go into here. The trade in Native birds is often suspect and I'll suggest better left alone. Why keep such birds? Buy a Canary instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭roxiesmammy

I dont know if he has this type of bird in but my advice for what its worth is stay clear. This place has been reported loads of times and nothing gets done. It is the most dirtest, smelliest place. Animals, be it birds, hamsters etc are cramed into cages. I have seen sick animals in with health. A neighbour bought a Africian Grey there it died 3 days later, another bought a rabbit had to be put down broken leg. The only way to hurt someone like this is through his pocket.

• Advertisement

viper75 wrote: »
    can any1 tell me if bird world in portlaoise has any native hardbills r softbills in stock!!

Can I ask, why are you asking?

thanx 4 that info roxiesmammy, i'll avoid that place like the plague, i understand where ur commin from srameen and i no about the birds needing 2 b captive bred and closed rung, i've done my homework really well, i just thought with a name like "bird world" it would hav a pretty good reputation, but it seems that its the complete opposite, thanx again folks;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Some bird places can be dodgy, sometimes it's not easy to find out how they got birds or where they came from.

I don't see the reason for keeping native birds anyway.
    Setting up a really good bird feeding station in the garden, with water and lots of native plants and you have them right at your window all day long close up, some will land on your hand. That way you have the joy of watching them but don't have to worry about taking them to the vets or housing them and it's a far healthier lifestyle for them.

i already hav a good feedin station in my back garden, i've thought about it and i think natives belong in the wild as u say, i'll b gettin a few foreign fiinches and let the natives belong where they should b "THE WILD" thanks 4 all ur help guys much apreciatated:)

Advertisement