Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Morrowind or Oblivion, which do you prefer?

• 31-03-2010 1:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭VenomIreland

I prefer Morrowind, which do you prefer?

Morrowind or Oblivion? 87 votes

Morrowind
    0% 0 votes
    Oblivion
    47% 41 votes
    I like both equally
    52% 46 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Airsoft_Invent

Oblivion FTW

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 492 ✭✭Sl!mCharles

Morrowind for the story and diverse world!
    But Oblivions great too, obviously better combat and graphics, but for replayability and richer lore Morrowind is bangin' :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭VenomIreland

I'm very dissapointed to see Morrowind losing, even if it's only by one vote.

I have never played Morrowind , i have only played Oblivion which i quite like.

So Oblivion (untill i play morrowind)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 864 ✭✭✭Kxiii

Played Oblivion first, then went back to to try Morrowind but just couldn't get into it.

Cant wait to see the next one though if only they'd get round to making it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭Valmont

I definitely preferred Morrowind but I still really enjoyed playing Oblivion. I think I may have clocked over 400 hours on both combined. Great games and I cannot wait for the next one, whenever that may be.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Never played morrowind but I might be tempted. I think it's time for a new thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Reeni

I very marginally preferred Oblivion. I think it was probably simply a case of by the time I played Oblivion, Morrowind had aged graphically and Oblivion was such a big, gorgeous world. Love them both though really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

I just started playing Oblivion a few days ago. I'm a noob to RPG's (I've been avoiding them like the plague for years now) so I didn't play Morrowmind. As such I think it's only fair I spoil my vote.

Loving Oblivion though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 355 ✭✭Princess Zelda

Although it is getting aged now, Morrowind all the way. Excellent mods out there for it too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Bonavox

I liked Oblivion a lot more, but the Morrowind soundtrack kicks ass.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Kynareth

I love Oblivion, every single aspect of it. But I played Morrowind with the Oblivion spell mod and it was quite good, but it didn't grasp me the same way that Oblivion did, I remember getting it for my birthday the year it came out and I got the collectors edition, the little brown lore book that came with it, god I read it so much, that sparked my love of the lore, then came studying UESP for long hours, then messing with the construction set. Oh God, good times. I still have the Cyrodiil map up on my wall to this day!

/EndRant

I have to say I prefer Oblivion, but enough about Morrowind and this, DAGGERFALL WAS THE SHIZNIT. I mean seriously? 487000 square kilometers of a map?! compared to Morrowinds 25.9 square kilometers and Oblivions 41.4 square kilometers!

But in all honesty, I loved the few hours I spent playing Morrowind and the modding community was huge for it, no question about it.
    The Oblivion mod community seems to be getting quite good now though thanks to COBL, OBSE, Wyre and stuff.

So I'll have to bank on Oblivion. :cool:

I think I preferred morrowind. I liked some of the oblivion changes, I liked how you could finally have "MY home", I liked that shops had opening hours and the counts and countesses had visiting times, that kinda thing. I felt in that respect it was more realistic than morrowind. And I liked the different houses more. Some of the guild quests were cool too, especially the assassins guild :D

But the storyline... meh. And the towns all being in separate loading cells kinda broke up the feeling of just wandering around.
    But there's really just something about morrowind. I'm not sure what it is :p I preferred the dialogue, I preferred having to wander around instead of fast travel, I liked having the different "houses".
    If they could make a game combining the best qualities of the two that would be great :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭gavitron22

morrowind all the way! there are so much flaws in oblivion (although it's still a very good game), like no fast travel and taking out your map and looking ok i'll get a boat to there, this to there and then have to walk the rest! i mean come on, that's so immersive! although the graphics and stuff are dated, the game is worth playing for the lore etc, and the variety in places, houses, etc in fact the list of why morrowind is better is quite long for me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭GodlessM

Morrowinds story is better but Oblivion's game mechanics are better, so I suppose a mix of the two :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 C0nn0rmcl

I started with Oblivion, so it's really hard to get into Morrowind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

For me I think Morrowind. If Oblivion had included levitation and the mechanics of the game allowed you to simply float over city walls instead of having to enter them as separate areas I might have changed my mind.

Either way Morrowind had a much better story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Angeltrumpet

i Love morrowinds story but you get more items, quests and mob's in Oblivion....i want to know wat the're goin 2 brng out next...cant wait :D

i Love morrowinds story but you get more items, quests and mob's in Oblivion....i want to know wat the're goin 2 brng out next...cant wait :D

Skyrim, but probably won't be seen until Q4 2012 or Q1 2013.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Peetrik

Graphically Oblivion but for pretty much everything else Morrowind.

The main reason I perfered Morrowind was because the opponents and items arn't scaled to your level. You could get excited about sneaking through a dungeon past big monsters to get an uber weapon that was way above your level or simply walk the land in a simple robe with a katana comfortable in your godlike prowess.

Plus the higher levels of item creation were a lot of fun to play with, not to mention the ablity to soultrap a deity

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 227 ✭✭Dougla2

Oblivion for me i started on morrowind on x-box then oblivion on ps3 then oblivion goty on pc then morrowind goty on pc i have two copies of each game. oblivion just my favourite I didn't like the stamina system in morrowind is the main reason

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Gax

I've never found a game similar to Morrowind in the way it blends the lore and story together... that said maybe I didn't look hard enough. WAY superior to Oblivion, apart from the pretty dodgy combat system I would say

Gax wrote: »
    I've never found a game similar to Morrowind in the way it blends the lore and story together... that said maybe I didn't look hard enough. WAY superior to Oblivion, apart from the pretty dodgy combat system I would say

I dunno, Dagoth Ur never seemed to be portrayed as a big enough threat I reckon. There was so much talk about how he must be stopped, but he never really did anything. There were blighted creatures roaming inside the Ghostfence yes, but a better story would have been if some of these things managed to breach the Ghostfence and attack nearby settlements, but all the towns seemed to be safe. In Oblivion though, you always got that feeling when traveling that you needed to be careful because these gates were opening up everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Hocker

I love the scenery in Oblivion, the whole game is very detailed, so it takes my vote ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Mabel

Morrowind for me. Much as Oblivion had my jaw dropping to the floor graphics-wise I just always find new ways to play Morrowind! I also prefer Morrowind's dialogue, storylines and lore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

Never got into morrowind. Thought Oblivion was brilliant. Only criticism was that it becomes very easy if you get a good one of those stones that leech health, and the ability to keep it charged.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Lummy

Morrowind is one of my all-time fave games, so it gets my vote. That's not to say I didn't love Oblivion too. The only thing I'd say I didn't like about Morrowind was the combat. "He's right there, stab him you idiot!! MJNHBGFVBNJ >8U" I was gateful to Oblivion for fixing that :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 490 ✭✭Chefburns

Hands down it's gotta be oblivion!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Funglegunk

Morrowind no question. The lore and the aesthetics are far 'weirder' and more interesting than Oblivion. Oblivion fixed some game mechanic flaws, but also introduced new ones.

"Outlander!"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

Morrowind had more interesting storyline and as others said 'Lore' was a key part of the game. Morrowind made you feel as if you were completely Immersed in the world.

I felt as though Morrowind had much better Exterior and Interior design when it came to the Buildings,Caves,Dungeons,Towns and generally the world map.

Customisation, dare I say, was a bit better as well. More choice of skills,weapons and also more customisability when it came to equipping your character (e.g equipping Individual Pauldrons where as Oblivion you had to equip both)

Obviously Oblivion had much better graphics and also a better (not exactly perfect though) Combat system. But All in all that's all it had going for it compared to Morrowind.

Not saying I hate Oblivion, I liked and enjoyed both games but much preferred Morrowind.

Advertisement