Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phone line noise with Vodafone DSL router

• 31-03-2010 1:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭

I've been transferred from Eircom DSL to Vodafone today.
    I've swapped out the Netopia router and replaced with the Vodafone issued one.

I'm getting phone line hiss and buzz (more buzz than hiss) since using the Vodafone router. The Netopia didn't add any noise to the line.
    I phoned Vodafone tech support and they suggested that I remove the splitter/filter since the router apparently has built in microfilters.
    This made no difference.

Our previous Eircom connection was 1Mbps. Voda tested our line when the sales pitch happened and was all agreed that our distance from the exchange was far that we would get no better than 1.2Mbps. I'm not sure if that is significant. I understand that Vodafone have a service note on my account to the effect that the bitstream (3Mbps) product ordered is incompatible. Could the line buzz have anything to do with the fact that I'm patched into a higher bandwidth service than my line can sustain ?
    The internet performance is fine and no worse than how it is with the Netopia router. It is the voice line which has the interference and buzz.

I can always swap back in the Eircom/Netopia router (since vodafone gave me a user/password to access my broadband account using the older netopia / eircom supplied ) router.

Any ideas on the line buzz ?

I get the buzz with microfilters on the sockets or off them.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭koura

Me too, Also my wireless does not work, alread spent 2+Hrs on the phone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

This issue was posted here before, but Vodafone seemed clueless as to a solution. They have a forum open now on boards, they might have given a solution by now or else you can nag them for an answer?

You can take the settings from the Vodafone router and use your old eircom netopia router if you want? It'll work just as well. That's what I use for Perlico at home, and Perlico are owned by and use Vodafone's infrastructure.

Advertisement