Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pregnant in College??

Options
  • 31-03-2010 1:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭

I'm new to the board, the main reason I have joined is to get some opinions on the following dilemma i have!
    I am at home at the moment recovering from surgery to remove my left ovary because of a huge ovarian cyst. I have been assured that my remaining ovary is currently very healthy but I cannot help worry that I may get another cyst and become infertile if my second ovary is removed. The second part of this is that my experience in hospital has encouraged me to apply for college next year as a mature student to train as a nurse. I am really determined to do this now but I know that it means 4 years as a student.
    I think that I am left with three options:
    1. I hold off on the nursing for now and try for a baby sooner rather than later incase something happens to my remaining ovary in the future.
    2. Go ahead with the nursing next year meaning no babies until 2015 at the earliest (i'll be 30 then).
    3. Go ahead with the nursing next year and letting myself fall pregnant as a student nurse - I have no idea where this would leave me in regards to my training - If anyone has any experience of themselves or someone they know falling pregnant while in nursing college I would really appreciate hearing what happens - would I have to give up college alltogether? Could I take a year off half way through and return?

Any comments welcome because I don't really have anyone to talk about this to!!
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭DrIndy

You need to explore option 3 a lot more - contact the colleges and see what they say and what provisos they may have. You should be able to do a gap year if you need to but sound them out first. You're going to need to do a bit of baby timing though around exams etc....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭chocgirl

I've a friend who had a baby while in college doing nursing. It was completely unplanned but the timing of the pregnancy meant she could take a year out without missing any exams.

All the tutors were really supportive when it came to taking the year but she did find it very difficult when she returned trying to juggle childminding and placements and she wasn't granted any special requests regarding hospital placements close to home. Worked out find in the end though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

another thing to think about is that you may not be at risk of another ovarian cyst (or at least not at any greater risk than anyone else)

i dont know what your underlying condition is/was - and i'm not asking you to disclose that here on boards - but it would be worth enquiring if you are actually at any higher risk than other females

just something to think about!
    apologies if you've already checked this out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 studentdoc

hi corryworry im a graduate finalmed and have 4 month old (unplanned) baby. its been a tough year but the college made allowances and as long as i get through my clinical exams i will be graduating in a few weeks. the college gave me the option of taking a year out but i couldnt face another year of not working. 3 other girls in my class had babies earlier this year and none of them took a year out- they planned theirs for the summer break!!
    its tough being preggers on the wards-but it would be tougher as an intern/sho etc and a student nurse vrs a nurse being preggers is equally as tough!!!
    i know one student nurse (mature student) who was pregnant and on the wards she said her college (ucd) had been brill-her baby was planned for the summer break...
    so its tough but doable..and tbh once yr working in a hospital there is never an easy time to have a baby....(buy lots of crocs for Massive feet!!!)
    best of luck;)

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭corryworry

Thank you all so much for your advice. :) Still not sure what my decision will be but as I've missed the mature student CAO window for 2010 I have almost a whole year to think about it!
    It is reasuring to know that if I do start college and get pregnant it won't mean all my college work is for nothing!
    As for my chances of getting another ovarian cyst, I don't think I have a higher chance than anyone else of getting another but it's a daunting thought that all my eggs are in one basket :D.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 jewell

Hi Corryworry,

Check out this website....rollercoaster.ie go to discussion and then adult education, there is loads of advice on midwifery 2010 thread regarding mature nursing application etc. If you have the time to even read through the midwifery 2009 thread there is loads advice regarding college/homelife and balancing the 2.....I'm sure there were student nurses who were pregnant while training or while going through the application process on the 2009 thread, Also if you apply for 2011 and happened to be pregnant, If you were offered the place you could defer it until 2012, hth

Advertisement