Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tour du Mont Blanc anyone?

• 31-03-2010 1:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭

Here

330km 8000metres of climbing, 2 weeks after the Marmotte.

logo103.jpg
    parcours2.jpg

mmmm .... Maybe next year.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,141 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

In one day? That's nuts that is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

Lumen wrote: »
    Imagine the descending tho!
    I am sure that would be nothing for the blorginator on his fixie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

I may have nightmares about that diagram. Bernard Grand looks like fun on the way down, you'd pick up enough speed on the way down to get you up at least half the next climb

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Everyday for over a year I used to look at those mountains, they are very big and you can still see snow on the top of them in the summer. I'm going to start praying for you now.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭k123456

reminds me of the Grimpeur event in Wicklow a few years ago , that was hell, the one in France I think assent is three times as much and the distance is at least three times as long

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

It is nearly 2x Marmottes, and that was tough enough. Also, starting at 5:00 and the cut-off is 22:00. 17 hours. So you wouldn't want to be hanging around either.

From the participation requirements:
    Le Tour Du Mont Blanc Cyclo is open to all participants over the age of 18.
    To take part in , it is required :

- To be awe of the difficulty of the race.

There surely cannot be very many cyclists able to complete such a ride within the time limits.

The registration also include during the race, the acces to all the interlediate provissioning points and the "Pasta Party" (the day before and at the end of the race).

Then, cyclist who succeed will recive a shirt "FINISHER".

What about cake ...??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

This event must be done... eventually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 482 ✭✭trinewbie

logo103.jpg
    parcours2.jpg

mmmm .... Maybe next year.

:eek: My legs hurt just looking at that. :eek:

• Advertisement

trinewbie wrote: »
    :eek: My legs hurt just looking at that. :eek:
    Wimp

By my calculations it's like going up and down the Wicklow Gap 20 times in 17 hours.

Except that the gradient is 25% greater.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭rottenhat

Might be a good Boards challenge though - who can evade the broomwagon for the longest. If it becomes an annual event, I'd be up for it any year after 2011.
    By my calculations it's like going up and down the Wicklow Gap 20 times in 17 hours.

When you put it like that it sounds pretty doable. But incredibly boring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

By my calculations it's like going up and down the Wicklow Gap 20 times

Hmmm...

rottenhat wrote: »
    When you put it like that it sounds pretty doable. But incredibly boring.

Sure, 20 is not a huge number. Or is it?

You have twenty fingers and toes. Imagine one of them being crushed in a vice. Then imagine that same fate for the other nineteen. Now twenty isn't so small, right? You'd rather just do the one, or none at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,456 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Then, cyclist who succeed will recive a shirt "FINISHER".

Class enuff said

Sure, 20 is not a huge number. Or is it?

You have twenty fingers and toes. Imagine one of them being crushed in a vice. Then imagine that same fate for the other nineteen. Now twenty isn't so small, right? You'd rather just do the one, or none at all.

An interesting analogy, and one that suggests that perhaps you find the Wicklow Gap more challenging than I do.

rottenhat wrote: »
    An interesting analogy, and one that suggests that perhaps you find the Wicklow Gap more challenging than I do.

Excellent, that's the spirit. I look forward to your report from attempting the Tour du Mont Blanc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Excellent, that's the spirit. I look forward to your report from attempting the Tour du Mont Blanc.
    Only if you win it. We want results around here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 287 ✭✭serendip

Yup, in one day ... on foot:

http://www.ultratrailmb.com/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultra-Trail_du_Mont-Blanc

Winning times are usually less than 24 hours. In 2007, the route was 163 km long for a total elevation gain [and loss] of 8900m (Wikipedia).

I know the area well. Parts of it would be excellent on a bike (good paths, super views), but other parts would be awful (just carrying a bike up hill for hundreds of meters, and then sometimes even downhill again on the other side -- I'm thinking of the Val d'Arpette). [Edit: Ahh, I see now, It's a different route; oops.]

• Advertisement

Well, don't hold your breath - I have another French ride to attend to first.

The closest comparison I can come up with from personal experience is that it would be like doing a 300 with three ascents of the Ventoux and some miscellaneous foothills over the course of the day. I think that if I trained specifically for the event, I could probably manage it. I'd give somewhat lower odds on managing it within 17 hours. But therein lies the challenge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 241 ✭✭lyders

parcours2.jpg

I don't know what to fear more...the massive climbs or the ridiculous declines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

i will give caroline.ie 50e to a charity of her choice, if she does it next year or the year after.

where the hell would you train for it.

jwshooter wrote: »
    i will give caroline.ie 50e to a charity of her choice, if she does it next year or the year after.

where the hell would you train for it.

LOL do you think I will do that for 50 euro? hahaha!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

LOL do you think I will do that for 50 euro? hahaha!

we have established your mad to think about doing it , we just have to find out how mad now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭chakattack

I've just found my goal for next year...thanks :)

jwshooter wrote: »
    we have established your mad to think about doing it , we just have to find out how mad now.
    ah now ... I was being a bit sarcastic when I said 'maybe next year' - I am not a climber. I am doing the Grand trophee this year however I am only doing half the Matmotte ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Downhill half I presume? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 40 aidandoyle

I agree with RAAM, it must be done.:eek:

• Advertisement
Advertisement