Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DYI boiler replacement

• 31-03-2010 1:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

Could someone describe what's really involved in the boiler replacement.
    initial: standard boiler is in place. 3 motorised valves installed beside the hot water tank. 2 to control down/upstairs radiators (via 2 thermostats on both floors) and 1 to control temp-re in the watertank itself (thermostat is on the tank)

so, in my understanding all the pipework is done so it should be relatively straight forward procedure.
    -powerflush the system (what equipment is req-ed and how long/difficult to do? )
    -cut off water/gas supply and drain all the water out.
    -disconnect all the pipes underneath of existing boiler + flue and take it off the wall
    -place a new one on the wall, get the new flue connected instead of the old one
    - get a registered plumber to connect all the pipes (including gas) to the new boiler

am I missing much?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Whats your point.... That you think it can be done DIY. No it cant. rgi registration is there for a reason.

I know all I need to about plumbing. I know an awful lot on boilers. I have advised plumbers in the past. However I am not RGI registered so I figure I might have a plumber that knows nothing more than the basics on my team but if he is rgi registered then he is insured to replace the boiler.

I doubt any plumber would tell you how to replace a boiler.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭stocking

Whats your point.... That you think it can be done DIY. No it cant. rgi registration is there for a reason.

I've a plan above - what's in that plan is not DIY doable?
    a new condensed boiler is about 800-900 Euros. paying somebody another 800 euro (huge part of my monthly wages) for a day of work sounds alot. my point is to find out what am I paying for exactly???

where is the justification in boiler replacement qoutes? I figure, in simple terms you take one boiler off the wall and put another one on instead. btw all the installation instructions are usually supplied with the boiler. not a rocket science by my reading.

so, I do agree that connecting the pipes together then is something I'd let an rgi registered person to do. this shoulnd't cost more than 200 and is explainable since special skills and knowledge is needed for this particullar stuff. everything else - is not different to kitchen unit replacement. no?

stocking wrote: »
    a new condensed boiler is about 800-900 Euros. paying somebody another 800 euro (huge part of my monthly wages) for a day of work sounds alot. my point is to find out what am I paying for exactly???

where is the justification in boiler replacement qoutes? I figure, in simple terms you take one boiler off the wall and put another one on instead. btw all the installation instructions are usually supplied with the boiler. not a rocket science by my reading.

so, I do agree that connecting the pipes together then is something I'd let an rgi registered person to do. this shoulnd't cost more than 200 and is explainable since special skills and knowledge is needed for this particullar stuff. everything else - is not different to kitchen unit replacement. no?

Fire away so... Best of luck with the house insurence if something goes wrong and with the law if you poision your family.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭volvo 240

You are paying for the installers expertise and training to install it safely. Soundness test the gas, commision the boiler. Make sure that the boiler location and fluing location complies with the latest regulations etc etc.
    I would think most RGI installers wouldn't want to touch another persons unqualified installation. If I was RGI I would not touch it!! It would be me then who would be responsible if something happened!! When I ended up doing installations I would triple check everything!!
    After I had qualified on my 18 month plumbing and gas course I installed a mains gas combi boiler in my own home but I knew what I was doing but I got a corgi registered person in to do the connections on either end of the gas installation and commision it. They would only do it though because I showed them my qualifications and they checked out my installation and said it was a very neat/sound installation. They charged 200 pounds then around 7 years ago. Around 8 months later I paid my corgi fee and was then able to do it all.
    For 600 euros saved its not worth taking the risk!! James

volvo 240 wrote: »
    You are paying for the installers expertise and training to install it safely. Soundness test the gas, commision the boiler. Make sure that the boiler location and fluing location complies with the latest regulations etc etc.
    I would think most RGI installers wouldn't want to touch another persons unqualified installation. If I was RGI I would not touch it!! It would be me then who would be responsible if something happened!! When I ended up doing installations I would triple check everything!!
    After I had qualified on my 18 month plumbing and gas course I installed a mains gas combi boiler in my own home but I knew what I was doing but I got a corgi registered person in to do the connections on either end of the gas installation and commision it. They would only do it though because I showed them my qualifications and they checked out my installation and said it was a very neat/sound installation. They charged 200 pounds then around 7 years ago. Around 8 months later I paid my corgi fee and was then able to do it all.
    For 600 euros saved its not worth taking the risk!! James

Exactly.... Gas rule is last man touch... If i were an installer I would not touch anyones work. Think of it this way. Its not worth the 200 euro the op thinks an installer should be paid.

However..... If we were talking about oil the story might be different.

• Advertisement

thanks guys.

do you know anybody you'd recomend for the job than?

Exactly.... Gas rule is last man touch... If i were an installer I would not touch anyones work. Think of it this way. Its not worth the 200 euro the op thinks an installer should be paid.

However..... If we were talking about oil the story might be different.

For 200 euro it would not be worthwhile considering the risk. I agree with you absolutely. At least with oil it's far less volatile:)James.

thanks guys.

I would just get as many RGI installers in to quote you for a new boiler installation. When I was CORGI registered customers could check that you were corgi registered on their database. I would hope that you could check that your installer was RGI (registered) on a similar database.

I would recomend the system is powerflushed. Get the installer to itemise everything on the quote and what make and model the controls will be. At least then you can compare like for like. James:)

thanks guys.

www.rgii.ie

anyone in your area..... You could contact items on boards. he gives discount for mentioning boards.. dont tell him i sent you it might work against you ;) only joking..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭yoshytoshy

OP ,I hope you don't drive aswell.

• Advertisement

yoshytoshy wrote: »
    OP ,I hope you don't drive aswell.

why?
    and most importantly what does you hope has to do with the topic? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭yoshytoshy

It's illegal to interfere with any gas installation when not a registered gas installer ,several checks have to be done before any gas installation is upgraded or worked on.

Only a delinquent would mess around with gas at this stage.

thanks alot.
    Im not some stockin. Its spelt with G at the end. And yes I do diy my breaks where I can since I do enjoy servicing my car.

Advertisement