Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

honoured to be godfather but

Options
  • 31-03-2010 12:50pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭

The nephew's getting baptised soon & am honoured to be godfather but just have a prob with the whole religion thing. I have no idea what my function is; at the actual ceremony :confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

God parents have to confirm their faith by retaking thier own vows and then swearing to help bring the child up in the church.
    Renunciation of Sin and Profession of Faith.

Celebrant: Dear parents and godparents: You have come here to present this child for baptism. By water and the Holy Spirit he (she) is to receive the gift of new life from God, who is love.

On your part, you must make it your constant care to bring him (her) up in the faith. See that the divine life which God gives him (her) is kept safe from poison of sin, to grow always stronger in his (her) heart.

If your faith makes you ready to accept this responsibility, renew now the vows of your baptism. Reject sin; profess your faith in Christ Jesus. This is the faith of the Church. This is the faith in which this child is about to be baptised.

The celebrant questions the parents and godparents.

Celebrant: Do you reject Satan?
    Parents & Godparents: I do.

Celebrant: And all his works?

Celebrant: And all his empty promises?

Next the celebrant asks for the threefold profession of faith from the parents and godparents.

Celebrant: Do you believe in the God the Father, almighty, creator of heaven and earth?

Celebrant: Do you believe in Jesus Christ, his only son, our Lord, who was born of the Virgin Mary, was crucified, died, and was buried, rose from the dead and is now seated at the right hand of the Father?

Celebrant: Do you believe in the Holy Spirit, the holy catholic Church, the communion of saints, the forgiveness of sins, the resurrection of the body, and life everlasting?

The celebrant and the congregation give their assent to this profession of faith:

Celebrant: This is our faith. This is the faith of the Church, we are proud to profess it, in Christ Jesus our Lord.
    All: Amen.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

My boyfriend refused to be godfather to his niece on the grounds that he would have to promise what was outlined above. His reason was that he's not a liar so why would he say he'd do something he had no intention of doing.
    Since his decision, his family really regret baptising the little girl in light of what has been revealed in reports etc.
    We've both done count me out and have no intention of baptising just to maintain an awful tradition. Imagine thinking your child is born full of sin and needs a man in a dress with magic water to wash it away. Why people think its just to welcome the child I can't understand-its an awful Mosaic tradition.
    If you don't believe in it, don't do it. Have some principles at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭barbiegirl

lazygal wrote: »
    Imagine thinking your child is born full of sin .

My understanding is that original sin no longer exists in the Catholic Church. It is important to you to adhere to your principals and I respect you for doing so.
    I am a god mother of two a girl 18 and a boy 9 and I adore both. I see my job as being an additional non parental ear for problems they may have and of course to buy them lots of great pressies.
    I had no problem with the ceremony as despite all the problems with the church my faith in God is still present.

Advertisement