Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

5 a side popularity across UK/Ireland

• 31-03-2010 2:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,068 ✭✭✭✭

5 a side football appears to be seriously growing in popularly in recent years - has anyone else noticed this ? New astro pitches are being built all the time and they are all pretty much full throughout the week and late into the night.

Can anyone point me in the direction of any articles, statistics or facts in relation to this ? It would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 344 ✭✭veXual

Maybe by contacting www.astro.ie or www.footy.ie they could give you some info

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

5 a sides were always popular I thought... it's just astroturf was expensive until the whole Celtic tiger thing meant we could afford it (on credit though ;))

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Tusky wrote: »
    5 a side football appears to be seriously growing in popularly in recent years - has anyone else noticed this ? New astro pitches are being built all the time and they are all pretty much full throughout the week and late into the night.

Can anyone point me in the direction of any articles, statistics or facts in relation to this ? It would be much appreciated.

I flew into Dublin a few weeks ago on a particularly clear night. The amount was floodlit pitches scattered across the city was insane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

I'd imagine it also has something to do with people being too lazy to run around a full 11-a-side pitch so 5-a-side suits them better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Frisbee wrote: »
    I'd imagine it also has something to do with people being too lazy to run around a full 11-a-side pitch so 5-a-side suits them better.

Far less organisation required for 5 a aside too..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Its also much less "formal", no league system, it doesnt ever really matter who wins its just about playing and having fun. I play 5-a-side and 7-a-side weekly, group of lads show up, split into teams, play for an hour, go home. Its perfect, and it caters for alot of young men who have grown up in the Celtic Tiger era of a jam-packed, work orientated, busy week lifestyles (not saying that what i have, far from it, im a student) so sqeezing a quick hour in weekly is perfect for loads of working lads.

It has boomed recently because nice, suitably sized and priced pitches are popping up everywhere because leisure centres and town councils know that "if you build it they will come."

Also it's a lot easier to look better in 5-a-side than a full sized game.

Actually, if you play it right you run more because less players to pass to requires more off the ball movement. Overall you get on the ball more, less hoofing the ball forward, less fouling, easier to organise as already mentioned and generally more fun because most people don't take it as seriously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

What do you have against 5-a-side?
    Did the meanies not let you play or what?

Actually, if you play it right you run more because less players to pass to requires more off the ball movement. Overall you get on the ball more, less hoofing the ball forward, less fouling, easier to organise as already mentioned and generally more fun because most people don't take it as seriously.

I wasn't saying you run about less with that point.

But in 5-a-side I find it easier to score goals etc than at 11-a-side. Mainly because it's taken less seriously and people like to feel good.

• Advertisement

I wasn't saying you run about less with that point.

But in 5-a-side I find it easier to score goals etc than at 11-a-side. Mainly because it's taken less seriously and people like to feel good.

Of course it's easier. Less distance between goals, less defenders, that's kinda the point. I mean on most pitches you can shoot from your own box, of course there are going to be more goals!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Its also far easier to round up 10 overweight, lazy Irishmen on a wet windy Tuesday night than it is 22!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Of course it's easier. Less distance between goals, less defenders, that's kinda the point. I mean on most pitches you can shoot from your own box, of course there are going to be more goals!

That why the "2-Touch Rule" and "No goals outside the box" are vital.

Exactly, that's why its so poular imo.
    Mikeyt086 wrote: »

In the leagues, yeah, but in a casual game between mates goals from anywhere are good craic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,562 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

it just better craic imo than 11 a side.plenty of goals being scored and everyone will usually score one.

Just wondering how much does it cost ye for the hour?we play on a tues evening, €50 per hour its near athlone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,414 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

I enjoy 5 a side more than 11 a side myself.
    Play weekly with a bunch of players who are all fit ,fast and skillful.
    The games are hard and competitive but the football is good,ball kept on the ground,passed around quickly and very enjoyable.
    Alot of 11 aside matches are long ball hoofing from one end to the other played at 90 miles an hour.Very little skill involved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭mrDerek

i like astro because the surface is nice and smooth and i can do my tricks and dribble{the boards team will find out soon enough ;) } much easier dan on a horrible bumpy pitch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,414 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

mrDerek wrote: »
    i like astro because the surface is nice and smooth and i can do my tricks and dribble{the boards team will find out soon enough ;) } much easier dan on a horrible bumpy pitch.

Thats true.The new rubbercrumb 3G pitches are a huge advance on the older sand based astroturf pitches which were pretty crap.
    If you tried to make a tackle on them or fell you could rip your leg open or get a nasty cut/burn.
    The new pitches are very forgiving and have a much better grip,too much grip in some cases.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

It's not just the UK and Ireland that it has taken off in. Indoor football is massive in Australia. Our season is only 6 months long (excluding the 3 months preseason we do) so all the lads play during summer. It's too hot to play outside so all summer soccer is 5 a side indoor from juniors right up to oul lads in their 60s.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,068 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

I much prefer 5 a side to 11 a side also. I think its because the type of football I love to play is pass and move orientated, which is very difficult to do on a full sized pitch with 11 player. in a 5 a side I like that everyone attacks together and defends together and much prefer the style of football to 11 a side.

The popularity obviously has a lot to do with the ease in organizing a game. Frustrating that I cant find any statistics on it though. Im pretty sure I read something last year that said it was the fastest growing sport in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,950 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

We did 5 a side indoor over the winter to keep the fitness up and it was unreal. It really helped improve the girls whose first touch was not great and it has given them a lot of confidence. We have struggled with numbers for training outdoor so just end up doing 3, 4 or 5 a side on the pitch and there is no quicker way of getting fit if you aren't playing tag rugby IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,367 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Were you the guy nobody wanted on their team?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

I much prefer 11-a-side and always play better. 5-a-side is just about scoring goals and no other contributions are recognised - its all about pure skill and speed.

But of course they are also easier to organise.

Thought 5-a-side has always been popular - for as long as I remember. Its certainly not the recent Celtic Tiger-motivated phenomenon that some people are making it out to be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Cos its cheaper than a gym? and makes any sort of person feel like a footballer.

Seriously the reason football is the No 1 sport in the world is "messi did this last night ..........oh look i can try and do it"

its like saying where is the 20 a side matches goalposts for jumpers matches gone? they arent they are just 5 a side now on plastic pitches with nice lights and a bar for a drink after it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

I play 7-a-side on an astro that's a bit longer that what it should be and it's bloody murder. A lot of ground to cover and the ball is just coming at you the whole time.

The smaller pitch means you are in the action a much bigger percentage of the time.

I just don't have the fitness for 11 a side. I can just about keep up in 7 a side for the first half anyway. I'll stand in the goal for the second half then, gasping for air... :D

I find 5-a-side quite intense, you don't really get a break unless someone hoofs it over the fence.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Play in goal in the DCU league, certainly kept busy!

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

Mikeyt086 wrote: »

God no. I couldn't play by them rules, wouldn't work in our weekly game at all. Nothing better than rounding a few players and I love nothing more than a cheeky chip of the keeper from my own half (keepers tend to run out with the ball in our games).

Actually I just couldn't play two touch would just feel wrong.

I really enjoy the 5 aside astro but Id prefer 11 aside but due to work etc I cannot play for a team. I miss the long passing and also the fact that if you beat a man in 11 aside their aren't two more on top of you straight away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,599 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

I like 5-a-side myself (most of the time), but much prefer 11 a side full games. 5-a-side is good for developing certain sides of your game - if the game is of reasonable standard, you have to be intelligent off the ball, quick and tidy at passing, fit, improves your touch, there is definately very good aspects to it. But I think the opposite also applies if the game is of a poor standard, often its just about who can score the most goals and it nearly turns into a game of tennis just goal, after goal, after goal.

For me 5-a-side is only effective when playing with 10 reasonably good players, which sometimes can be hard to come by.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,068 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Cos its cheaper than a gym? and makes any sort of person feel like a footballer.

Seriously the reason football is the No 1 sport in the world is "messi did this last night ..........oh look i can try and do it"

its like saying where is the 20 a side matches goalposts for jumpers matches gone? they arent they are just 5 a side now on plastic pitches with nice lights and a bar for a drink after it.

:rolleyes: I disagree with almost everything you said. I dont believe football is popular because people want to try emulate what Messi did last night. Football has always been popular, long before it was on our tvs constantly.

Also, I have never gone for a drink after a 5 a side, and never seen anyone else do it either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭token56

I think I prefer 11 a side although I haven't played alot of 5 a side recently, used to play it alot up until about a year now playing alot more 11 a side at the weekends, and 7 a side during the week, well, when I wasn't injured that is.

But the two games are completely different, I enjoy 5 a side because I have pretty decent acceleration and can just run for hours so its suits since its a fairly fast paced game, but there is nothing better than a proper 11 a side and getting stuck in with some good tackles or picking out a great pass to someone through etc.

Advertisement