Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

***Friendly Match*** Tuesday 6th April 7.30 WESLEY COLLEGE vs DTB

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

For the lads that want a lift with me, same time and place as last week.
    That's perfect thanks Keith.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭Mall10357

i am in For this one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Game moved to WESLEY COLLEGE DUNDRUM

MEETING AT SAME TIME

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Oh jaysis lads i was only messin, i would never even consider missing a boards team game to watch a match. Meant it in jest! I know ye's probably just wanted to emphasize the point but you can be certain that when I commit to something I mean it.

Des, I could possibly make it to finglas but it would be two buses for me so especially with the match being moved to dundrum the commute is just a bus and a luas. Thanks for the offer though!

One final thing, what's the numbers situation like because I think my friend would be interesteed in joining. He's Really ****ing tall so he'd provide an option that I dont think we have. And he's played ball before he can kick one like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Where would the first bus leave you? I'll have the car from about 6 now, so could drive to where your bus leaves you and go from there, if you want.

Do you want to come back across with me after the match?

Can your friend come tonight? If he can't, there's no point because the league starts next week.

What position does he play?

• Advertisement

Well the first bus leaves me at whitehall, then i'd have to get a second up past dcu I think. I'll be getting that first bus anyway as it goes into town, but the fact that it's in dundrum I'd be grand just getting the luas straight outta town.

My friend would probably be best up front. I've been talking to him and he's not sure if his boots are astro standard and if they aren't he can't come tonight. I told him to check astro.ie. I think they're one's with like 12 studs that are probably too big for astro but will try and find out and let you know if he can then come tonight before I leave.

Which stop is the right one to get off the 75 guys?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭mrDerek

Voltwad wrote: »
    Which stop is the right one to get off the 75 guys?

are you not coming in the car with me and keith like last week?

mrDerek wrote: »
    are you not coming in the car with me and keith like last week?
    See I live in Blessington and the 6.10 bus gets me down at the square for 6.30, otherwise the next bus isn't until 7.50 so it's the one I have to get to Tallaght. Last week I'd to wait around for nearly an hour and I haven't the patience to do that this week =/

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Voltwad wrote: »
    See I live in Blessington and the 6.10 bus gets me down at the square for 6.30, otherwise the next bus isn't until 7.50 so it's the one I have to get to Tallaght. Last week I'd to wait around for nearly an hour and I haven't the patience to do that this week =/

Go pass your driving test :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

just back in dublin now, been away for 4 days. i will be there, wrecked tired, but will be there. wesley is handy for me.

any fixtures yet for the season?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,568 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

How'd it go?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 keith MAC

no better than last week....unfortunately another kicking.....again really hard to know what to take from it.....alot of changes.....there are good players out there just not seeing it gel at moment...

I think it was 4-0 in the end....

cheers....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

Yeh Keith's summary is spot on: a very disjointed performance as a team but a good few new players showed that they have plenty to offer.

A little frustrating for all involved but we all know each other a little better after tonight and some of the performances will no doubt have given the manager plenty of headaches as he'll have some very difficult decisions to make when it comes to finalizing who's in the squad.

To anyone who doesn't make it into the squad: every last one of the new players was a decent footballer and would easily have made it into the Boardeaux squad in seasons gone by and it's the rising standard of the new players that is raising the bar and making it more competitive for all of us. So whereas in the past the difference between those in the squad and out (and even those in the team and the sideline) has at times been significant, it's very marginal now. Everyone in the team will know there's at least one or two on the sideline that could easily step into their position, so there'll be no complacency. It'll be hard for the gaffer to make a call based on two friendlies, but that is what he's tasked with, so hopefully anyone that doesn't make it this time will be back in the next pre-season to prove him wrong and play their way in. That's what we need to take it to the next level across the board, so hope to see you all again at some point cos you're all good footballers and sound lads to boot.

Fair play to everyone for not shying away from any physical battles while also keeping it decent and not reacting to their little Joe Pesci-syndrome guy up front and sinking to his level. Particularly thought Graham and Keith showed great restraint while also not giving up an inch. That willingness to get stuck into a good, clean battle is something we've been looking to strengthen.

Remember lads, that in Martin, Ciaran, Gav, Conor and Dave, we were missing 5 quality established players: we're a far better team than we've shown the past 2 weeks but that was to be expected with the sheer volume of changes. From next week things get serious and I for one am feeling very encouraged that we'll have the squad to get off to a good start and build from there 3 points at a time.

Chris (non-matching socks) here. Just to confirm that I'm officially out of this lads. Just don't have the legs yet. Only started exercise of any kind just before the first friendly and I don't want to commit to the time traveling and being on the sideline when I'm barely able to last 10 minutes.

On the performance as a whole, I think the emphasis should be on slowing down the play, not speeding it up. Concentrating on the first touch and not being afraid to play the ball back or sideways. It seemed like everyone felt pressured to play the ball forward every time they got it, and I could sense a lot of nervousness in the play (myself included).

Also, with the speed of the pitch, making it as wide as possible on attack and as condensed as possible on defense seemed to be a bit missing last night.

So, good luck to ye's this year lads, hope ye's bring home the silverware ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭Mall10357

i will just say that from were i was last night there does not seem to be an awful lot of talking on the pitch and it changed when Kenny came on the pitch i think we need to get back to the way we played in our last game of the winter season against Rocco Rovers because we are a good team we some excellent players we just need to commuicate alot more.

Thanks again for the opportunity to play last night. I thought we were rather unlucky not to score in the first half. We played some good stuff, especially on the counter attack and the other side's joy was really only coming from long balls. Clay especially made a cracking save tipping that one onto the post.

Second half as I'm sure everyone agrees was a disaster. Full of hoofball and little positives to be taken from it. Again this wasn't helped by the needed rotations and lack of continuity. I'm sure that wont be a problem next week when the league starts.

To end on a positive I just wanted to say I've enjoyed the last two Tuesdays irrespective of the result and I can see definite potential in the side for finishing in the higher echelons of the league.

Glenn

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

good run out, 90 minutes. there is a saying - you learn more from a defeat than a victory and this is the case.

we had i think 10 new lads on the pitch and in the 2nd half, i think 7 were on the pitch at one stage. that takes time.

funny thing is though, all 4 goals should have been prevented and it was the "experienced' members that made them, not the new lads. I f*cked up the 4th, and a mixture of Dan, Clay, keith, Andy and Graham all could have prevented 1 of the others..but these things happen. luckily in a friendly

another thing in the 2nd half, is we created nothing what so ever, so we were under a lot of pressue.

both of those will change on tuesday when the league starts. dont forget, this was a 90 minute game, had this been normal astro time frame, it would have been possibly 2-0. des made the call, and totally the right one, to have as many of the new lads on the pitch for the last 30 minutes and i think we will benifit from that. our last game with a settled team we won 6-0, lets take that confidence into the first game. id gladly take a 1-0 the next night.

just to pick up on something that was made. this is a very tough, physical league. there are no sliding tackles, so you need to be strong and quick on the challenge. sometimes you need to win ugly. alot of these teams are gaa lads, looking for a chance to play something different, they wont allow us to play football. just be prepared for some awful matches where the ball is in the air alot and a scrappy set piece wins the game. we do play lovely football most of the time and this is what will win most games, but we need to make that happen also with a work rate more than the others..

cant wait for tuesday.

Advertisement