Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Argos refuse to honour guarantee

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭stopusingoil

That's the only reply I am bothered making. The rest of your replies were mostly non-constructive and argumentative.

This thread is a waste of time. People stating their opinion as fact and accusing others of the same while this thread drifts further and further from anything resembling a conclusion.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭punchdrunk

OP I'm not going to debate if either yourself or Argos is in the wrong,but why not contact the brands distributor directly and see what happens?
    just bypass Argos altogether and see if they might do something as a goodwill gesture

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭yoshytoshy

This thread is a waste of time. People stating their opinion as fact and accusing others of the same while this thread drifts further and further from anything resembling a conclusion.

Have I brought goods back to argos for a refund or replacement ? = Yes ,Fact.

Does the op have proof the goods were faulty ? = No ,Fact.

If a new car has dodgy breaks ,do you wait to crash before you bring the car back ? = You do if your the op.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,079 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

That's the only reply I am bothered making. The rest of your replies were mostly non-constructive and argumentative.

What do you think your contributions have been to great scheme of things?

The thread conclusion was reached several posts back, even prior to your first post in the thread, the one that seemed to blame the cause of the broken kettle on globalisation, and the economic downturn. I'm surprised that the Illuminati didn't also get a mention.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

ejmaztec wrote: »

The thread conclusion was reached several posts back, even prior to your first post in the thread, the one that seemed to blame the cause of the broken kettle on globalisation, and the economic downturn. I'm surprised that the Illuminati didn't also get a mention.

Or Cheryl Cole's marriage.

• Advertisement

I love how, if you don't agree with the masses, they begin to attempt to insult you and categorise you and discredit you in whatever way they can.

Pathetic much?

ejmaztec wrote: »

No, i did not mention globalisation ONCE. or the economic "downturn". Fail.

PS: unless you consider "Great Scheme of Things" to be a living, breathing person then you may want to reconsider your grammar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

I love how, if you don't agree with the masses, they begin to attempt to insult you and categorise you and discredit you in whatever way they can.

Pathetic much?

We are being realistic. You are being dramatic.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Right - enough nonsense here.

Any further off-topic posting will result in infractions and/or bans

dudara

Magenta wrote: »
    It's rude to shout.

From your post and your user name it seems to me like you are on some sort of save-the-world mission. Charity begins at... eh, Argos?

I am delighted that you have the power to deduce someone's ethics from simply reading their post and name. Congratulations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

This thread shows why a kettle for a tenner is better value!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

@stopusingoil and K-9

Final warning!

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 8 llc

Actually, all I wanted was an opinion on consumer issues & rights.
    From what I have determined its all at the discretion of the shop and the only redress is the small claims court irrespective of your rights/wrongs.
    Thanks jor el and others.

cabaal
    "Its sad really, you come onto the consumer forum looking for help most likely in the view that people will fully agree with you, but things don't go your way and you find your actually in the wrong.
    So what do you do, turn against all the posters...nice
    Now now, you might want to get down off that high horse of yours,"

And you're a moderator?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 llc

Is Cabaal a troll?

"In this instance the OP seems oblivious to why he has no case dispite it being explained to him....go figure pacman.gif "

What is that about?

Bar the start of the thread I wasn't involved in the thread!
    Nor did I dispute the rights and the wrongs of the opinions given!

High Horse Comment from Cabaal- point being that the least I would expect is that somebody qualified would make the judgment ie service dept. My pre-stated qualification was in anticipation of the inevitable response that I wasn't qualified either. Guess I would have been right about that too!

Yes, I did get irritated by a response from ejmaztec which I initially perceived as flippant but the comment was probably intended to be funny, certainly his/her reply made me laugh!

"Well, if you go off and design the perfect non-stick electric kettle, then you'll be able to retire on the proceeds, and you'll have loads of spare time for whatever indulgence takes your fancy.tongue.gif "

For the others:-

Russell Hobbs will look at the kettle if I post it to the Uk. Reasonable response but this would obviously cost postage with no guarantee of success. Plus I understand it is not their responsibility either way in this case!
    I'm more interested in going after Argos since I believe the least they should have done is take the kettle for examination.
    I have written to them in the UK with a copy of the receipt. I don't expect anything and may then take them to the small claims court but this will obviously be inconvenient for me. A week later I'm weighing up the thought of such inconvenience (for such a small amount) against my principles!
    BTW, after 3 emails they wouldn't entertain me in Ireland and said I had to deal with them in the UK.

Finally, most of what was said is opinion, perhaps backed up by experience but not based on anything I can see in consumer web sites. I would be interested to see some links that back this up!

I get the analogy with the cd/dvd players.
    How about the door sticking on your newly bought second hand car and then the door handle comes off when you try to open it!

Covered by guarantee or excess force???

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

Calm down all, this is just the internet. llc, all you have been told here is correct, you broke the kettle, legally you can't do anything about this. However, if you are loud enough and shouty enough you may get what you want from the perspective of 'lets just do something to shut this person up', it's worth a go if you are happy doing this.

The car analogy you give is a little wrong, it's more like the door was jammed so you used a sledgehammer to open it and the door fell off. Would they fix the car knowing excessive force had been used, probably not unless you shout about it enough.

My opinion is, go buy a new kettle. Perhaps it was bad design, perhaps it was poor manufacturing. Maybe it was also a little user error.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭bongi69

llc wrote: »

I get the analogy with the cd/dvd players.
    How about the door sticking on your newly bought second hand car and then the door handle comes off when you try to open it!

Covered by guarantee or excess force???

If the door on my car stuck, and the door handle subsequently came off trying to open it, I'd jump in the passenger door and be straight back down to the dealers, and would be expecting to get it fixed. That is of course I used the door handle in the way it was meant to be used

The door handle is designed to move under the force of a persons hand, and if it came off in my hand, thats a defect. If however, I went and got a crowbar and tried to open it by prising at it and it came off, this is excessive force.

In the example I highlighted, the customer had broken off the CD drawer after operating it manually. On the DVD player model in question, to open the drawer the user is instructed to press the open button and the drawer would open itself. By using ones hand to open it manually, the customer was therefore using the product contrary to the instruction manual.

OP don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to knock you in anyway, I'm trying to be constructive. Argos have no way of observing the original fault, since the lid is now detached from the kettle, and hence they are right in what they are saying. I know its hard to swallow on principle alone, but if they make this exception for you, then you could have every Tom, Dick and Harry that just break something because they don't like it, and then bring it back claiming its faulty. Most manufacturers will not credit a retailer for a product that is returned to them that is not faulty. The retailer is then left with a product it cannot sell, and has to put it down as a loss.

As I said before, this might be a case where you take the loss on the chin, and next time a fault arises, make haste to the shop ASAP. As you've already written to the store (I presume from your post), I'll guess that Argos don't want to do anything.

Have you tried a Google search on the kettle model in question to see if this is a design fault, to further strenghen your position? Or did you take out the product insurance on the kettle?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

bongi69 wrote: »
    Have you tried a Google search on the kettle model in question to see if this is a design fault, to further strenghen your position? Or did you take out the product insurance on the kettle?

+1

or perhaps contact the manufacturer stating the possibility of a design fault/operational issue. It may be a case that you are not the first person who had this problem. If this is the case then you can bypass argos and ask them to replace the kettle. They may not be as reluctant as argos, as they have prior knowledge of the fault you describe, so won't need 'proof'.

Other than that I agree with other posters - its a bitter pill to swallow but you should have returned the kettle before it got to the stage where it was so deteriorated that in trying to use it you broke it. By breaking the lid you removed any sign to them that there ever was a fault.

(also, wondering what all the fuss is about in the lid of a kettle! I almost never actually open the lid of mine, just stick the spout under the tap. If the lid was sticking what was the compulsion to keep pulling at it to the extent that it broke???:confused:)

Advertisement