Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shin Guards with or without ankle protection

• 31-03-2010 3:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭

Do ya think ya need the ankle protection on shin guards?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Ive only had shin guards with them on, but that being said, anytinge ive got kicked on or around the ankle it didnt always do its job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,950 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I like having it if just makes me feel more confident going in for tackles.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,670 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

I believe so, while the padding isn't going to help in an ankle breaker type tackle, it can help if you get stood on etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭ErinGoBrath

I used to wear the ankle protection guards but found they restricted my ankle movement slight and can be distracting when trapping the ball.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

These days I don't wear them as I play 5 a-side and for some reason guys still wear them even though its pretty tame and they end up the ones getting hurt most, probably over confident in tackles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Always wear the ankle guards for outdoor. I'm a centre half and like to get stuck in so every little bit of protection helps.

People who wear shinguards for 5 a side are pussies btw ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭mrDerek

i always wear em the way i play i tend to get kicked a lot ;/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Ankle guards, don't offer much protection really but make it less likely to twist or go over on it imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭UpTheSlashers

If your able to play comfortably in them and theyre not a nuisance then definitely go for them. I dont beacause I'm always very aware of them and it's just a distraction

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

I wear ankle guards all the time really. Just a slightly extra layer of protection, especially when you have centre halves raking their studs down your ankle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

I cannot play comfortably in the guards with attached ankle support, but I have glass ankles so need protection! I also find they lose shape around the ankle part and go floppy and therefore are worthless in no time.

I wear normal shin guards and have a pair of nike ankle guards also slipped on over my socks...job done:)

http://www.prodirectsoccer.com/prodinfo.asp?PID=PDS-008-009-005&DEPT=&DEPTTYPE=&BRAND=&ST=1&SIZE=&MIN=&MAX=&SRH=ankle guard

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Fcuking hate ankle guards. Completely take away from my kicking as my shinguards are further down my leg than needs be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭AIR-AUSSIE

Never bought shin guards before, but I'm starting to play with a club. Could anybody recommend a good pair probably with ankle guards too.

Cheers

I have Adidas ones at the moment and they are grand but I had a class pair of Puma ones and I managed to misplace them. They were savage, not overly thick but had a perfect fit and an ankle guard. Wish I knew where they are :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Always wear them (and im a keeper).
    Ive a dodgy ankle anyway though so im paranoid about it sometimes

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

I always find them annoying. I use normal slip in ones, way more comfortable.

mars bar wrote: »
    I have Adidas ones at the moment and they are grand but I had a class pair of Puma ones and I managed to misplace them. They were savage, not overly thick but had a perfect fit and an ankle guard. Wish I knew where they are :(

Do you know the make of the puma ones. Was looking at these ones in Champion - Nike shin guards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

havent worn the ankle protectors since i played under 14, find its easier to move about without them...

AIR-AUSSIE wrote: »
    Do you know the make of the puma ones. Was looking at these ones in Champion - Nike shin guards

I bought them about 8 years ago so I can't remember what particular model! I used them for 6 years.

I recommend going into whatever shop and asking to try them on if they'll let ya. There's nothing worse than buying a pair of shin guards and then them not fitting properly.

mars bar wrote: »
    I recommend going into whatever shop and asking to try them on if they'll let ya. There's nothing worse than buying a pair of shin guards and then them not fitting properly.

Yea I've tried them on apparently I'm a large, the mediums are tiny. Think I'll look at the adidas predators replique ones they've gotten good reviews.

• Advertisement

Yeah I like Adidas, these are the ones I have:
    adipure-shinpad.jpg

You can detach the ankle part from the actual shin pad.

I'd love to get these ones though:

1210638592-37292_full.jpg
    :D

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

shin guards only and tape your ankles if they're a bit weak.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Always wear the ankle guards for outdoor. I'm a centre half and like to get stuck in so every little bit of protection helps.

People who wear shinguards for 5 a side are pussies btw ;)

i always wear them at any type of football.

there is always the chance that some tool will go over the top on a tackle, im not taking that risk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,164 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

The shin guards with ankle are very annoying and dont get full freedom of ankle movement so i just use the slip in shin guards with plenty of taping up, much more comfortable.

Advertisement