Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

first letter to external post-Viva

Options
  • 31-03-2010 3:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

I want to write to my external to request a reference for an upcoming application. I find striking the right note in these things quite difficult and would greatly appreciate any suggestions. I'd like to say thanks for the feedback, I hope to learn from mistakes pointed out. Any thoughts??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭avalon68

I think you forgot to attach your letter :) Was the extern involved with your project? I never even considered asking my extern for a reference - He wouldnt have known me well enough to provide one really.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭AnnyHallsal

avalon68 wrote: »
    I think you forgot to attach your letter :) Was the extern involved with your project? I never even considered asking my extern for a reference - He wouldnt have known me well enough to provide one really.

Thanks for responding :) Oh I threw something together. Really? As far as I know, everyone in the humanities uses their extern as a referee. Since they go through your thesis with a fine-tooth comb and subject you to a viva, they're pretty well-acquainted with your work. And they're usually a big name in the field.

Advertisement