Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Help ! cannot remove polarizing filter from 24-70 f2.8 L (canon)

• 31-03-2010 4:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭

Hi
    I can-t remove this B+W 77mm Polarizing filter .... it is on top
    of a regular B+W UV filter which is always on the lens ...

I have done it countless times before with no problems ...

I have been trying for ages twisting it anti clockwise and clockwise ....

what is the proper way ??

EDIT .. got it ... my fingers were freezing ......

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

Just a helpful suggestion for anyone else.

wrap an elastic band around and try it again. If you google I'm sure you'll find a few other ways

• Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭HxGH

My filter comes off anti clock wise...

Normally the lense comes off the opposite way the lens comes off.

Eg - I turn my lense clockwise to remove and the filter comes off in an anti clockwise direction!

Maybe try a rubber glove?

Or bring it to a shop?

Or call Canon.

Or call the filter co.

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

If you can't get the now-worthless filter off the lens I will happily take it off your hands. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Dara Robinson

Try blasting the top of the UV filter next time before you screw the Polarizing filter on as a lot of the time dust or dirt will cause that same problem (a simple strong blowing will do also). You can also get small rubber rings that fit between filters to ensure this does not happen

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,293 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

for future reference, a length of electrical flex wrapped around it can help, especially if it's got a rubberised finish - it spreads the load more evenly around the filter, so you don't 'pinch' the filter and cause it to distort, partially wedging itself in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭DotOrg

the other classic technique is to hold a shoe like a converse trainer (or any with a rubber sole) upside down and rub the filter along the base of the trainer and often it will just pop off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Thanks all , good for future info.

My fingers were freezing, when i let them warm up a little it twisted of
    grand ... (Anti Clockwise)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

This happened me today with a macro filter, had it attached to the 50mm trying out some macro. When I went to take it off it was stuck fast, not a budge. Almost tore skin off my hand trying to unscrew it! I thought I'd break the lens trying so left it for a few min's. Went out and had a ciggie, came back in, and the fecker came off in one go. No idea what happened, trapped air? or something like that maybe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,703 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

This happened me today with a macro filter, had it attached to the 50mm trying out some macro. When I went to take it off it was stuck fast, not a budge. Almost tore skin off my hand trying to unscrew it! I thought I'd break the lens trying so left it for a few min's. Went out and had a ciggie, came back in, and the fecker came off in one go. No idea what happened, trapped air? or something like that maybe?

probably warmed up a little. Metal filters are little divils for getting bound onto metal threads on lenses. Plastic threads on lenses tend to be a little better. Often it's just because they get a bit cold and contract a little which binds them nice and tight. You can actually get little filter wrenches specially designed for removing stuck filters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

That makes sense alright. It was a metal filter, I thought I'd screwed it on crooked at first but it looked straight/fine. My hand trying to wrench it off those few attempts probably warmed it up enough.

Will know the next time and not get so frustrated

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

the_monkey wrote: »
    Thanks all , good for future info.

My fingers were freezing, when i let them warm up a little it twisted of
    grand ... (Anti Clockwise)

Rubber gloves are often the answer, and for future reference:

Righty-tighty, Lefty-loosey.

Advertisement