Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Physio="low employment ops" so why's it so popular on the CAO?

Options
  • 31-03-2010 4:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 48

Read that Physio has gone up something crazy like 30pc on cao applications! Any idea why the enthusiasm when its supposed to be really hard to get a job after? Maybe people are hoping that things will have improved by the time they graduate...?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

People like to rub people up, its as simple as that.

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭stainluss

Maybe people are hoping that things will have improved by the time they graduate...?

Yup, coupled with the high wages if you did get a job...

I cant really think of anything to justify 30pc though?
    :confused:
    Mardy Bum wrote: »

Best guess :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Freakin4Leavin

Yeah physio has increased the most suprisingly, as well as science and arts which is to be expected really.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mardy Bum viewpost.gif

Ha. I dunno now id say 70pc of the time its working with geriatrics so I'm thinking this isn't always the case :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,010 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I don't know much about it, which puts me on a par with LC students at the time they fill in the CAO forms. It sounds to me like a classic case of "I can't do Maths, and I've heard that Arts is hard work, so what else can I do?" :pac:

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

People who do sports in school are usually encouraged to do physiotherapy so maybe they can be sports doctors, managers or open their own physio clinics. So everybody wants this big glamorous job treating the rich and famous and getting paid truckloads of money. The reality being that most physios work with rehabilitation of the sick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

bnt wrote: »
    I don't know much about it, which puts me on a par with LC students at the time they fill in the CAO forms. It sounds to me like a classic case of "I can't do Maths, and I've heard that Arts is hard work, so what else can I do?" :pac:

Who in the history of UCD the world has ever said that......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭dyl10

Fad wrote: »
    Who in the history of UCD the world has ever said that......

Shush, first year...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭deco1610

People who are academically weak, yet good at sports, would choose to pursue a career in sports. Since there is no module in UCD yet called "introduction to sports", these people decide that they'll go down the path of the most sports-like course available to them: Physiotherapy!

Just a theory...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭dyl10

Nah, physiotherapy is high points, therefore, it's probably not the academically weak people pushing it up.

The answer is probably that it's just quite a desirable job in terms of work type and pay (should you manage to get a job, of course)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Michaelrsh

In science you'll be qualified to mix stuff, in physio you'll be qualified to rub stuff, in arts you'll be qualified to say stuff! That's the way I'm looking at stuff from now on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭nairy hipples

Im currently finishing up 2nd year of Phyiostherapy in UCD. Let me tell you it's not for the academically weak! The course was about 520 points in my year and with the CAO applications increasing so much the points are only going to rise! The coursework can also be extremely hard in my opinion!
    On another point I wouldn't say the course is suited solely towards sporty individuals. I went into it to go into the rehabilitation side of things as did a few others in my class but dont get me wrong there are a lot of sporty people in it!
    All in all it's a very enjoyable course.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭dajaffa

Its nout to do with glamour or whatever. Demand dropped significantly as there was a lack of jobs going. Now there's no jobs going in anything really so its evened out and a little extra as you can get visas to lots of countries if you're a physio.

Advertisement