Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sneaking into random lectures??

Options
  • 31-03-2010 4:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 48

Hey so, I'm doing my leaving cert and don't really know what i wanna do... would you say if i just wandered into some lectures and "hid" at the back anyone would notice...?? Thinking of doing it for TCD too!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

ha ha ha I think you should do it for the laugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

Nah they will sniff you out as a school kid and have you killed.

I wouldn't risk it if I were you;)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

Lol I went to a couple of my friend's lectures last semester - honestly no one will notice :P Have fun!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 852 ✭✭✭moonpurple

if some of the women spot you, brace yourself, they may insist on intimacy

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Oisintarrant

Ive gone to quite a few lectures in UCC with house mates when I couldnt be arsed walking to CIT years ago. (when I knew they were covering some of the same stuff).
    Even went to labs a couple of times. Im pretty sure the lecturers knew i was not supposed to be there, but if you play nice and stay quiet, they dont seem to care.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,568 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

No-one will notice.

Although if your doing your Leaving Cert you might be better off going to your own classes or studying than going to UCD lectures...

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

Frisbee wrote: »
    No-one will notice.

Although if your doing your Leaving Cert you might be better off going to your own classes or studying than going to UCD lectures...

Well since most 6th years are off for Easter now I don't see the problem with taking a day or two away from the books to see what college programmes are actually like :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Freakin4Leavin

Ha i dunno i might just have a look around the campus but the fact that I "should be studying" isn't a deterrent: Sure I could study all i want and then pick the wrong course! If you see a suspiciously younger looking person sitting behind you one day soon it could be me ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

People wouldn't notice at all! It would be a good idea to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

You will be spotted as soon as the role is done and told to go see Hugh Brady in his office.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Ginja Ninja

Mardy Bum wrote: »
    You will be spotted as soon as the role is done and told to go see Hugh Brady in his office.
    or not.unless its a class of only about 20 you'll be grand going to a lecture,probably not the best insight into a course[I know mine is basically a repeat of most of the leaving cert] but it would help to show you what college life is really like.

try it for a laugh,you probably won't get called on it,even if they do take attendance,just don't sign the sheet and you'll be grand,I doubt most lecturers would give a damn to be honest

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Souless

depends what you want to go sneaking in to if it's a large lecture theatre no one will notice where as if it's 10 people chances are they will ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

There's a guy in science who looks about 15, dont worry about looking young :D

Ah sure what's the worst that could happen I'm going for it ha! I'm desperate for anything that'll help me decide: crisis degree change of mind during easter means i've got 2 months to find an alternative that I'm happy with :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

bring in a wad of library books with you.....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Ah sure its no bother,just remember to use words such as roight and loike and daddy so you fit in,and when you're finished with the lectures head to the bar,its fairly cheap and they never I.D. ya!

Roysh OK i'll do that except I'm loike actually 18? :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Do students these days have to sign a register in the lecture hall or what? Do they check your attendance at lectures now?

Well ahem, in my day a few moons ago, you just went in to one of those massive lecture theatres, and hoped you'd get an outside seat, or one at the back so you'd be first out. No one cared then who came or went. You could be studying Psychology and go to the Arts theatres to see what was going on, no one cared. Might be different nowadays. Is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭Pandoras Twist

Wouldnt have a clue in the big arts and science lectures anyway.

Wouldnt go into a quinn class though, cos its the end of the year, and classes all know each other at this stage, then again if they see a randomer, theyre not gonna say anything to ya anyway.

Youll have to make sure ya dont end up going to an advanced physics class or something

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

Come into one of my maths lectures. I don't think anybody in these classes looks at each other.

Well I certainly can't remember what any of them look like. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Well ahem, in my day a few moons ago, you just went in to one of those massive lecture theatres, and hoped you'd get an outside seat, or one at the back so you'd be first out. No one cared then who came or went. You could be studying Psychology and go to the Arts theatres to see what was going on, no one cared. Might be different nowadays. Is it?

Nope.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

In the big lectures in the Arts building nobody will notice so you'll be grand, but in smaller classes a lecturer might have a tendency to ask random questions of students, so you could get stung there.

However if the lecturer is in the room at the start of the class you could just go up to them and tell them the story and ask is it okay to sit in. 99% of them will have no trouble with it.

Try find out what lectures are on where and when and check a few of them out. Maybe make a day of it, get some munch in the restaurant or whatever. Couldn't hurt.

Only trouble is if it's Orts you'll be back home or in the bar by about 1pm :p

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭getting worse

Only trouble is if it's Orts you'll be back home or in the bar by about 1pm

That's very insulting and completely misleading the chap.

No self respecting Orts student would be in college before 1.00 PM.

OP you should have no problem, but do it on your own, don't bring a big gang of your mates and stick to the big lecture theatres in Arts or Science. Don't quite know how you will find out what lectures are on where, its probably worth a shot, just not sure how much help it will be to sit in a lecture where you might not have much of an idea what is going on.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I went into TCD lectures for Maths before I put it down on my CAO choices. There were about 6 people in the lecture (packed by Maths standards) and the lecturer had no problem with me being there (though some of the other students thought I was mad).

The lecturers will generally be pleased that you are showing an interest in their topic (most students dont :) )

Be respectful and quiet and no one is going to mind.

Also, in my head there is a memory of something about lectures being free to the Irish public because of tax payers sponsorship of colleges, just the exams were restricted to paying students.

Can anyone confirm that??

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭getting worse

Also, in my head there is a memory of something about lectures being free to the Irish public because of tax payers sponsorship of colleges, just the exams were restricted to paying students.

Can anyone confirm that??

Dev this is not so, - if you think about it, it just could not work. What happens when 500 turn up to Linear Algebra II in a classroom that holds 20 max.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,568 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Dev this is not so, - if you think about it, it just could not work. What happens when 500 turn up to Linear Algebra II in a classroom that holds 20 max.

Well in that case 500 people won't get in.

However many spaces are left after the registered students show up will be free for people to go in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭33% God

Don't quite know how you will find out what lectures are on where

Use this
    https://sisweb.ucd.ie/usis/W_WEB_GENERAL_TT.P_TIMETABLE_MENU

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭ya-ba-da-ba-doo

I'm in science and there's not a chance i'd notice! I've went into a psychology lecture for the craic with my friend before with about 50-70 people in it and it was grand..

Advertisement