Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phil Anselmo Autobiography

Options
  • 31-03-2010 5:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭

Anyone that has read my (Lil Kitten's) posts here will know that I am a huge Phil Anselmo fan... :D I notice that the majority here seem to be Dimebag fans. Just wondering will anyone here be interested in reading Phil's upcoming autobiography? I don't know how much will be about Pantera/ Dimebag but should make for some pretty interesting reading.

Interview with Metalsucks here and he's mentioned some new additions to Housecore that might be worth checking out :D
    MetalSucks: I know you’re going to start working on your autobiography soon with a writer that we work with, Corey Mitchell… I was just wondering if you could tell us anything about that and what you have in store for the book.

Anselmo:
    Well, as opposed to what most people may figure or think or imagine that I’m going to write about, this is not a book that’s in any way, shape or form really like your average rock book. It’s not a pissing contest when it comes to the death of my guitar player. [correcting himself] The murder of my guitar player. Honestly, it’s coming from my perspective of being a guy that has fought through chronic pain his entire career, and what it’s like to be in my situation with all the pitfalls, all the crooked ****ing doctors out there, all the things that can go wrong. It’s well documented how many things have gone wrong in my career. So, it’s kind of my take on that, and a lot of the lessons I’ve learned from pain – chronic pain itself. You can win or lose, straight-up. Anyone who deals with chronic pain can attest that it ****ing creeps into the mind, y’know?

MetalSucks:
    So do you think that you’ll not be concentrating on your music career at all? Is it going to be more about the chronic pain and less about the music?

Anselmo:
    There is going to be some [discussion of my music]. If I didn’t talk about some of the music career, I think it would be a little bit of a ****ing gyp for the fans. People want to know certain things. Of course, yeah it’s going to be about it, but then again, I’ve been carrying pain around with me since I was 24. I’ve been through major back surgery. I’ve had knee surgery. I broke both my wrists. I’ve broken my ribs twice. All of my ****ing fingers, two of my toes, I’ve had a hernia. Man, you name it. I’m like a ****ing football player. Once again, pain comes with every step of my ****ing life – chronic pain. There are ways to fight it, and there are ways to submit to it. I’m going to show both sides of that, and hopefully shed some light on the drug world, the evils of the drug world, the helpful drugs, certain doctors, and hopefully shed some light on how you can cope with chronic pain through a regimen and through will power – unabashed, undivided mother****ing will power. There’s a strength there that needs to be untapped. I’m going to give a couple of keys, and it’s up to people to find their own locks and unlock that mother****er.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭Caco

First I've heard of it tbh... so cheers, shall definitely be giving it a look :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

Caco wrote: »
    First I've heard of it tbh... so cheers, shall definitely be giving it a look :D

Ah yea, fresh off the press! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭rgt320q

Sounds cool, may pick it up at some stage. Cheers for the heads up.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭gingelion

Nice one, i'll be picking this up soon. I'd be in dime's camp but would love to read what phil has to say bout it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

thanks for the tip.....(off to amazon)

• Advertisement

It's still a work in progress! When I find out release date I'll let you know!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

I will definitely be interested in reading this when it comes out. Anyone who saw those videos where he spoke about Dimebag's death could see how upset he was about the whole thing and how there was never going to be a chance to heal the rift between them.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭bigbadcon

Yeah Il definitely be reading that.

What an angry angry man...

bigbadcon wrote: »
    What an angry angry man...

During his time in Pantera he had chronic stomach pain & 3 ruptured discs, and was performing 300 gigs a year. He was in agony, but had to carry on due to the band's success hence the self medicating on pain killers then heroin & whiskey. Add that to the hard core, high energy, back flipping & diving stage performance and you get one testosteroned, angry young man. He was just lashing out... pretty much ****ed up his life. It's sad, but if it wasn't for the anger we wouldn't have an album like Vulgar Display of Power.

Ever watch his lecture on drug abuse/ alcoholism at Loyola State university? Scary stuff. A real eye opener.

Edit: MetalSucks is going to have advance chapters and deleted extracts posted on the website :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭TWEEK1979

SWEEEEEEEET.......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

watching the uni lecture, what a highly articulate and non angry man

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

The way he refers to Dimebag as "my guitar player" almost seems like a man trying to provoke a reaction from others with his choice of words.

He makes it sound like he is talking about a possession rather than someone who was once a bandmate.

Mind you his comments about Dimebag were hardly complimentary right up to the murder, so maybe his choice of words reflect his real view.

Kess73 wrote: »
    The way he refers to Dimebag as "my guitar player" almost seems like a man trying to provoke a reaction from others with his choice of words.

I was kind of pissed off that he said that, instead of even using Dimebags name. He says, about Rex, "he's my bass player". So maybe it's just his turn of phrase?

He has described Dimebag as "one of my best friends, one of my brothers, and one of the most beautiful people…".

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Vomit

not interested in what this moron has to say..won't be buying

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

watching the uni lecture, what a highly articulate and non angry man

just watched the lecture. very entertaining...

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

I was kind of pissed off that he said that, instead of even using Dimebags name. He says, about Rex, "he's my bass player". So maybe it's just his turn of phrase?

He has described Dimebag as "one of my best friends, one of my brothers, and one of the most beautiful people…".

And he also had a year long war of words with Dimebag which was still ongoing right up to Dimebag's murder.

An awful lot of what Anselmo says at one point is contradicted by a new version at a later date. He seems to fond of adding retcons to events and interviews, even when they were taped interviews.

My own take on him is that he was a good singer but a **** person who buys into his own hype.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

seachto7 wrote: »
    just watched the lecture. very entertaining...

lol, he sounds a bit like a stoned sylvester stallone

Advertisement