Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pineberries: Where can I get them?

Options
  • 31-03-2010 5:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭

Just seen these bad boys on the BBC news site, they're a hybrid between strawberries and pineapples. I have a hankering for them, does anyone know where you can get them?
    pineberries_595.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

:eek: crazy looking things. Dunno where to get them but I want them! do they taste of pineapples too?

EDIT: If it was tomorrow I would be thinking april fools.
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/food/article-1262312/Pineapple-strawberries-sale-Pineberries-cream-new-summer-treat.html
    they do taste of pineapples.
    Seeing their juicy red flesh in the shops is a sign that summer is on its way.

But this year your strawberries could be as white as the cream poured over them, after a new variety went on sale today.

The pineberry is said to combine the shape and texture of a strawberry with a flavour and smell closer to that of a pineapple.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,428 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I came accross them to via yahoo news. I must say I really want some.
    Just seen these bad boys on the BBC news site, they're a hybrid between strawberries and pineapples.
    Read the article again, they aren't a hybrid. They actually occur naturally in the wild and are from south america. They were nearly extinct a few years ago, but dutch farmers managed to save them via greenhouse growing.
    rubadub wrote: »
    :eek: crazy looking things. Dunno where to get them but I want them! do they taste of pineapples too?
    They only have a 5 week season, so you'll be lucky to get any.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭ldxo15wus6fpgm

Mellor wrote: »
    I came accross them to via yahoo news. I must say I really want some.

Read the article again, they aren't a hybrid. They actually occur naturally in the wild and are from south america. They were nearly extinct a few years ago, but dutch farmers managed to save them via greenhouse growing.

They only have a 5 week season, so you'll be lucky to get any.

Well I'd trust BBC news over Yahoo any day :P

• Registered Users Posts: 19,528 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Right...
    ho hum...

Advertisement